Are you bothered about golf in the Olympics?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
In case anyone is interested there is almost full Olympic coverage with multiple streams and almost everything live and on catch up available on Discovery+. IF you are a vodaphone customer you can sign up for 6 months free subscription to DISCOVERY+. I did it last night via the vodaphone website and it works a treat on our smart TV.

I believe there is a 3 day free trial for non-vodaphone customers too.

YMMV but seems to work great for me.
I got offered Discovery+ by Sky for free as a part of my package a few months ago. I took up the offer and registered an account, but never actually used it, and here I am now watching Day 1 in glorious HD.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it’s good that it’s being included but I am not sure it will make a difference to the overall growth of the game. There are so many other sports being shown its tough for golf to compete/grab attention. Doesn’t help when Rory dismisses the Olympics and golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it’s good that it’s being included but I am not sure it will make a difference to the overall growth of the game. There are so many other sports being shown its tough for golf to compete/grab attention. Doesn’t help when Rory dismisses the Olympics and golf.
I think that’s how is should be

Golf as a sport has huge media contracts , big sponsers , big events highlighted throughout the year which are the pinnacle of the sport

In the Olympics there are many sports that don’t have that and when it comes to the Olympics this is there pinnacle - they build for four years to reach this point and they get one chance

For me the Olympics is the chance for those other sports to be highlighted

Hence why imo football , golf and tennis really shouldn’t be in the Olympics

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m interested in it because I’m obsessed with golf, but it shouldn’t be in the olympics, or at least, the top pros shouldn’t be the ones competing. It would feel much more special if it was the elite amateurs competing.

For me the olympics is about those people sacrificing their lives every day, not getting paid that much for doing it (apart from the top athletes I guess), all for 1 shot every 4 years. I get quite emotional watching some chaps/chapess winning a medal in a sport I know very little about, canoeing this morning for example. I delayed my tee time so that I could watch the final!

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hence why imo football , golf and tennis really shouldn’t be in the Olympics
I wouldn't mind so much if it was the amateurs competing (also add in the basketball when they can pick NBA stars).

Also, as a few people have already said re the golf, they could have done something a bit more exciting than another standard 72 hole tournament - mixed pairs, match play, etc. On his podcast, Rick Shiels mentioned long drive - why not!

I like the Olympics but not really interested in the football, golf or tennis (don't really 'get' basketball anyhow)

D

Deleted member 15344

I wouldn't mind so much if it was the amateurs competing (also add in the basketball when they can pick NBA stars).

Also, as a few people have already said re the golf, they could have done something a bit more exciting than another standard 72 hole tournament - mixed pairs, match play, etc. On his podcast, Rick Shiels mentioned long drive - why not!

I like the Olympics but not really interested in the football, golf or tennis (don't really 'get' basketball anyhow)

Amatuers wouldn’t be able to compete - finances and also even then there are many Amatuer events that would be classed as more pinnacle than the Olympics

Just look at the reaction for those BMX riders - 4 years of hard for 3 days , that’s what makes it the pinnacle for them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

The football has weird rules, they're not amateurs obviously, but they have to be under 23 except for three people or something like. Not sure how they came up with that or why.

D

Deleted member 15344

Must admit the constant complaining of golf not being shown by the BBC at Olympics right now ( on Twitter ) shows imo a lack of understanding and respect for all the other sports at the games - golf is shown every single week of the year yet complaining about Volleyball being shown instead of the Olympic golf

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Dont often agree with Rick Shiels but that's not a bad idea at all, the long drivers need the exposure much more that the tour pros and it's an olympic style format like the throwing events, could see non golf audiences really getting into that.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Rory should have been DQ'd for playing with his shirt untucked. What kind of example is he setting? There will be anarchy at golf courses all over the world!

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just watched Pan get the bronze medal after a 7 man play off.
BBC Olympics commentary is just abysmal.

Hazel Irvine about Pans 3rd place: " what a great start to Pans winning streak"
Weird on several levels. Maybe she can tell the future. :rolleyes:

The other day we had someone congratulating one of the rowing teams for coming 2nd and getting silver, gushing . . . "It just doesn't get any better than that"
What! :unsure: