Are you a stats addict?

WGCRider

Visit site
I've got every score from every hole I've played since 1977, From 1996 I've got every hole for Fairway Hit, Green in Reg, Putts, Bunker Save and if I got up and down from around the the green, and from 2014 got every shot mapped out with yardages as well and Strokes Gained on each shot compared to Scratch player from that distance. So I don't take it that serious, seriously I don't?

Genuine question - How? I track Fairways greens, score handicap etc. Just using a spreadsheet I made. It's the last 8 years and I'm already thinking there must be an easier way

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Genuine question - How? I track Fairways greens, score handicap etc. Just using a spreadsheet I made. It's the last 8 years and I'm already thinking there must be an easier way
He writes all the stats down on the scorecard against each hole, using all the player fields and points field. It's a labour of love!

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

Hi, I'm fairly good at writing computer programs, that takes the input data in a special code (see image 1), and then running the program does the rest, I've attach the two scorecards I fill in when playing at my home course, as I keep the basic stats (F/Way, G/Reg, Bunker, Putts and Chip Saves) for the other 3 players I play with, The second image in unison with a garmin watch gives me all the drive yardages and any distances I've missed

Attachments

• PXL_20220617_194218183.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220617_194218183.MP.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20220617_194539134.jpg
    PXL_20220617_194539134.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 23

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Tried them
Spent more time thinking about Stats than playing the shots
Played worse.
Gave them up
To be honest, as we're all amateurs, any day we can have a strength that becomes a weakness and vice versa......your stats tell you that you hit 60% of fairways when you're having a bad day off the tee and you can't hit any.....

This in spades.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi, I'm fairly good at writing computer programs, that takes the input data in a special code (see image 1), and then running the program does the rest, I've attach the two scorecards I fill in when playing at my home course, as I keep the basic stats (F/Way, G/Reg, Bunker, Putts and Chip Saves) for the other 3 players I play with, The second image in unison with a garmin watch gives me all the drive yardages and any distances I've missed

Holy moly.
This is how my score card would look...
+ are bogeys, blanks are pars and - are birdies

New-score-card-slope.jpg

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used to but rarely play now, nor am I that serious about the game these days. However, when I was playing regularly I used to track my stats. It’s worth doing… a number of years back I was convinced I had weakness in part of my game but my stats clearly showed the failing was elsewhere in my game. Without the stats I would have been practicing the wrong part of my game.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Lesson 1 in stats is measuring stuff. Lesson 2 is figuring out what is useful and what is not.

Some data is not very informative, the old fairways and greens hit wasn't all that sensitive to score, but better data like proximity to the hole from certain distances helped, and now strokes gained is very useful.

There has been an associated recent trend for strategic mapping on the PGA Tour, where a guy whose names escapes me, maps out every hole and estimates percentages for different options, e.g. driver, wedge versus 3 wood, 8 iron, and has really helped some players improve their scoring, Will Zalatoris a good example.

For example on a given hole, he will look at the driving width and hazards, and figure out that the optimal strategy is to play to 260 not 290, because the combination of the chance of getting on the fairway, the price you pay if you don't, and then the probability of getting birdie or par is better for the 260 yard option.

I think you're referring to Scott Fawcett and Decade.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

Total waste of time for a handicap golfer. One day you drive like God and putt like an idiot, next day you can't hit a fairway and top every iron. Next round you chip great but miss putts.

What does that tell you? It tells you that until you can play to a high level of consistency you are wasting your time collecting stats.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Total waste of time for a handicap golfer. One day you drive like God and putt like an idiot, next day you can't hit a fairway and top every iron. Next round you chip great but miss putts.

What does that tell you? It tells you that until you can play to a high level of consistency you are wasting your time collecting stats.

Sorry dave but I completely disagree. When I was playing at my old club around the same handicap as I am now (12 under congu), although playing better than I am now I knew more potential was there as I was solidly consistent.

Understanding my game and my lost shots through the end of 2013 was what got me to 7 in 2014 including 3 board comps, the finals of the singles match play and the handicap division of the club champs.

your statement indicates everyone with a handicap is inconsistent.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Inconsistency is not the same as randomness, without Stats things can appear random which are actually tendencies that can be usefully altered by the handicap golfer IMO. Having said that collecting useful stats is probably a bit laborious.