Are you a counter or not?

Do you always know your exact score to par?

• YES

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • NO

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • A bit of both

Votes: 31 28.4%

• Total voters

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just concentrate on my next shot, write down the number after completing the hole and try and forget about it. But you'll find the better players as much as they try to forget they will have an idea what their doing.

Thats where your down fall was, you should of kept the routine you were in, and knowing what you were to that point put you possibly into a cautious defensive mode.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't have a problem with addy up's, just don't bother...

But if you were talking about long goes into's...oh my poor wee head cannae cope... she just doesnae have the power captain.

For me though it's not a concious effort to keep track, it's just so basic it happens automatically. I guess everyon's brain just works differently

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I usually have a pretty good idea of how well I'm doing without actually counting. I think that being able to close out a good round when you know you have been playing well is part of golf, whether it is about coping with the nerves/pressure or course management/thinking I feel it is all part of the challenge.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Went for a bit of both

I used to hate knowing if I was on for a good score feeling that it would screw up the remaining holes but like so many other mental things that we delude ourselves into affecting our game (waiting on tees, no pre-game practice etc) I realised I'd have to get over it and don't mind so much now

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not the exact score but I know roughly where I am in relation to par and my handicap. Not sure whether that adds an iota of pressure or not! Maybe I should ignore it and just take each hole on its merits etc.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I have been and often are both, once the pre shot routine start I bet I would have to stop and think about it. The focus is always on the shot, not the past or future.

Walking down the fairway or waiting on the tee I would be able to say within a few points.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I count my score to level fives to make sure that my FC is marking my card correctly.

I've never been one to say "I need to get an x at the next hole". I just play one shot at a time.

Unfortunately, I play A Lot of shots at the moment :rofl:

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Usually know vaguely what's going on but I play my best when I don't think about the score and put all my concentration into the shot at hand. Don't think I'd necessarily take more risks if I thought I had to (i.e. I'm 2 behind so must go for a sucker pin), so would play to my strengths regardless and wait for pressure to exert itself on an opponent who has the lead..

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a "no," although after a round I can recall the score and all of the shots. Its more a case of I just don't see the point of it during the round. Its just clutter/white noise. The score that matters is the one after 18 holes, not 17 or 16 etc. I know when I'm playing well and hen I'm playing badly.

Embarrassingly, I've actually had a guy come up to me in matchplay, shake hands and say good luck in the next round. I just play it shot by shot and hole by hole...
Same for me. Saves me writing it all again. Thanks Hobbit.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know instantly and add it up as I go, however, if I think about it, I can usually add it up. I try not to bother too much though, as the standard of golf will tell me enough!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Whatever the opposite of rain man is to numbers is me! I am useless. I can of course count the number of shots per hole as I go.
However, what I can't do is retain the number in my head and add next hole to it.
I prefer not to be told what my score is, even though I will know I'm playing well, obviously.
I was +1 after 5 holes at Santa Clara on Sunday, but if you'd asked me what that was as a combined score for the holes, I would have had to think about it for a while.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Off to a flyer today. Par, par, birdie, par, par, bogey so hard not to know what my score was even without counting. When I started chucking a treble and couple of doubles on the back nine I didn't bother counting as my PB was long gone. Only realised I managed to play to handicap when I added up at the end. I didn't bother with stableford points and seemed so to play with such a clear head

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must admit I am very surprised with the results...out of 96 voters only 31 voted YES to knowing exact score at all times with 35, like myself voting NO. 30/96 voted a bit of both depending on game etc.

I honestly thought it would the YES vote would be much higher. It would seem that there are much better golfers than me "happy not to know exact score or have the ability to blank it out.

Maybe I should just continue with my method of not keeping a running total...not because I can't but because I continue to chose not to...this method hasn't stopped me really enjoying my golf in the past.

Like lots of things with golf there is more than 1 way to do things. :cool:

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always know how I am doing without having to remember, regardless of whether it is a medal or a friendly. I have been a numbers person all my life, so my score is just there in my head. Can't help it.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always know how I am doing without having to remember, regardless of whether it is a medal or a friendly. I have been a numbers person all my life, so my score is just there in my head. Can't help it.

Its funny as I love numbers too and keeping my golf stats and have kept them on ScoreSaver2 since 2008 but still don't keep the running total. Mark all sorts of other stuff on my card...:eek:oo:

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A bit of Both, I know when im playing well so I would kind of know the score when im playing badly I always check to try and see what I need to make up.

No idea why I do it tbh as it only adds to the pressure when your already playing badly.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not that I sometimes choose not to, but once I can't buffer I just don't care what the score is, and it's also harder to keep track of because I keep score v par rather than v handicap.

When I'm playing well I actually enjoy the feeling of pressure knowing that I can post a good score. I wouldn't say it's why I play, but it's a part of it that I like.

If the option were there in the poll my answer would have been "yes always, until it's too high to make it worth counting".