Are professional caddies needed

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you watch Lee Westwood having his girlfriend carry the bag does makes one question whether players really need a pro caddie.
What do you think.

Mandofred

Visit site
But no....they don't need them. They may want them just to make things easier. I'd like it if they just had to fend for themselves like the vast majority of folks do.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It depends what a player expects and/or needs from their caddy.

If it’s just someone to carry the bag, anyone can do it. But that’s rarely the case. In Westwood’s case, I’m sure he knows his game more than well enough by now to simply have someone alongside him who he trusts, and who can help him maintain a level head and perspective.

It’s been really refreshing to see the impact on Westwood’s game that having his partner on the bag is having. He seems relaxed, and in a really happy place. I don’t recall, in years gone by, seeing him walk off a green with a wistful smile on his face when he’d missed a 3-footer. These days it seems that he can keep the mistakes in perspective and I have little doubt that it is due mainly to who is walking alongside him. So, in his case, a “professional” caddy is not currently needed, and I’m just keeping everything crossed that his current mindset is such that he gets over the line at a Major - nobody deserves one more.

D

Deleted member 1147

What constitutes a professional caddie? Where do they qualify?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think pretty much all caddies carry bags and give yardages . After that it varies, some advise on club selection, some on strategy, some are psychologists. Depends what the player wants I guess.

Mandofred

Visit site
Give them all a Motocaddy (36 hole battery as we know they're slow) and let them get on with it.
Yep.....this. Put them on the clock, make them make a quick decision, and get on with it like normal people. Some would then say, "well, they are playing for a lot of money". I agree, but to me......walking up to your ball, deciding the distance and what club I'm using is a skill in itself and all the pro's can do that just fine. Motocaddy their brains out......

I'll just keep pushing until I get too old to. Pride won't let me use a powered trolley....but some day the body is going to need some help.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If players thought they didn't add anything then they would just use a local caddy each time, for a fixed fee, low presumably. The fact that they do and are happy to hand over 10% of their winnings suggests they find them a bit more than useful.

To think a caddie does nothing but carry clubs and give yardages is seriously underestimating their role.

The Westwood situation is very much an exception.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll just keep pushing until I get too old to. Pride won't let me use a powered trolley....but some day the body is going to need some help.
My FiL is 83, plays golf, has a killer hill on his course. He refuses to use an electric trolley as 'they are for old men and women's (yes he is a charmer) When I point out that he is old and teenagers use them he still wont have it.

Forget the pride issue. No one cares who uses an electric trolley and it means your shoulders don't get tired 2/3 of the way round from pushing.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ironic (?) that Westie (girlfriend carrying his bag) is paired with Matt Fitzpatrick (Billy Foster, experienced professional caddie and former Westie caddie, carrying his bag) this evening.

Mandofred

Visit site
My FiL is 83, plays golf, has a killer hill on his course. He refuses to use an electric trolley as 'they are for old men and women's (yes he is a charmer) When I point out that he is old and teenagers use them he still wont have it.

Forget the pride issue. No one cares who uses an electric trolley and it means your shoulders don't get tired 2/3 of the way round from pushing.
I'm an old runner.....I will use a powered trolley when I'm on my death bed. Not kidding.....much.....

greenone

Visit site

When I can no longer carry my clubs around I'll stop playing. I hate trolleys.

greenone

Visit site
Grew up playing on a course with loads of steep slopes. Used to spend more time chasing after the trolley or righting it after it fell over on a side slope.

Only benefit a trolley has is, a trolley bag can hold more beer on a golf outing.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not really.
Caddies change all the time and are regularly in the same group as former employers.
Yes, I know that.
I was posting in the context of the thread and the original post, i.e girlfriend v pro caddie.
And absolutely nothing to do with power, or otherwise, trollies!! (Thread creep within one page- is this a record?)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep.....this. Put them on the clock, make them make a quick decision, and get on with it like normal people. Some would then say, "well, they are playing for a lot of money". I agree, but to me......walking up to your ball, deciding the distance and what club I'm using is a skill in itself and all the pro's can do that just fine. Motocaddy their brains out......

I stopped using an electric trolley over 20 years ago. Things are so much easier with a buggy:LOL: