Are professional caddies needed

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I think some need them more than others, especially some that may need a bit of support. Lee W for example might not need a read off his Mrs for putts but he certainly looks more relaxed with her there, probably more important to him than someone who can tell him the wind direction and yardage.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
When you watch Lee Westwood having his girlfriend carry the bag does makes one question whether players really need a pro caddie.
What do you think.
Nobody needs a 'professional' caddie. All they do is carry a bag full of clubs and make suggestions. If a good tour player really needs a caddy's "advice" they should find another job.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
My FiL is 83, plays golf, has a killer hill on his course. He refuses to use an electric trolley as 'they are for old men and women's (yes he is a charmer) When I point out that he is old and teenagers use them he still wont have it.

Forget the pride issue. No one cares who uses an electric trolley and it means your shoulders don't get tired 2/3 of the way round from pushing.
I used to be like this, then I had my brother walk round with me one day just for a chat. He wasn't playing and he carried my bag, just to be nice. Ater the round I felt bloody great - no aching shoulders or back.

As a result, I got a motocaddy and my body feels much better than it used to. I used to think that pushing your body like that was good for it, but I don't think so now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to be like this, then I had my brother walk round with me one day just for a chat. He wasn't playing and he carried my bag, just to be nice. Ater the round I felt bloody great - no aching shoulders or back.

As a result, I got a motocaddy and my body feels much better than it used to. I used to think that pushing your body like that was good for it, but I don't think so now.
Agreed. It puts lobsided pressures on your back and shoulders. You compensate for the load, how can that be good?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don’t like my trolley but my lower back loves it...these days when I carry it’ll be a pencil bag and a half set only - within minimum other stuff.

Be careful, though. Use the e trolley carefully. My experience was a bit peculiar.
Few years ago, bought an electric trolley. Using it, I got a bad back.
Didn't connect the two. Winter came and I carried. Bad back didn't return.
In summer, resumed the e trolley. Bad back did return.
Turns out the trolley was just at a height , that as I was continually reaching forward and adjusting( turning) the on/speed rotary dial, that is what was doing it.
Fast forward some years, I now use the e trolley with the on off button.
Makes all the difference. Seems it was the reach for the rotary on/off that was the cause.?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just means I'd be carrying my own clubs while she's on the beach.

Easy there fella, you don’t wanna go swanning around carrying a golf bag all over the place. I carried mine from the car to the practice range once… the experience was overrated! ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Be careful, though. Use the e trolley carefully. My experience was a bit peculiar.
Few years ago, bought an electric trolley. Using it, I got a bad back.
Didn't connect the two. Winter came and I carried. Bad back didn't return.
In summer, resumed the e trolley. Bad back did return.
Turns out the trolley was just at a height , that as I was continually reaching forward and adjusting( turning) the on/speed rotary dial, that is what was doing it.
Fast forward some years, I now use the e trolley with the on off button.
Makes all the difference. Seems it was the reach for the rotary on/off that was the cause.?

Just use the remote.

Mandofred

Visit site
I like to walk, with a trolley or carry....either way is fine with me. I want the exercise that pushing gives me, it's not much...but it's more than just walking. If at some point I get to the end of 18 holes and I'm feeling tired, then I will consider an electric. At this point, I have no trouble walking 18 or 36......but even though I've packed on some weight the last couple of years I still walk at least 7 miles a day if I'm not golfing. If I would start eating like an intelligent person (goodbye beer and junk food) I'd drop 10lbs without even trying.....probably 20lbs. I'm hoping at some point those remote controlled trolleys that follow you drop in price.

sunshine

Visit site
Fair play to Westwood, I thought lots of people played golf to get away from their other half :ROFLMAO:

Can't imagine what it would be like to have the wife on the bag. She'd probably make me carry it so she could concentrate on nagging.

sunshine

Visit site
Back to the OP, does a player need a pro caddie? The answer is obviously "it depends".

If you go and watch golf live in person (who knows when that will happen again), you can see and hear much more closely how the player/caddie relationship varies. I've been to watch women's golf a few times and some of the players are entirely reliant on their caddie to select the shot, read putts, line them up (although rules have now changed) and make all the decisions for them.