Are club golfers making it harder on themselves?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I very much agree with this thread...though I went for MP-54s. They still are easy to hit and lovely, but the EZ Forged would have probably been so much easier! I was persuaded by the chrome though!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i came to this conclusion last spring, got a set of GI irons, ditched the 2 iron for a hybrid. Ive been using a 440 headed driver, which for some reason everything is going high and right (not what you want at my home course, with the moray firth in play on the first 7 holes) so have been using my old MP600 that has a 460 head (everything a nice draw or at worst straight).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
How many shots per round will swapping to SGI clubs mean? I cant help thinking a 28 handicapper with blades who plays once a week and doesnt practice will still be a 28 handicapper with a set of uber SGIs.

A bad shot with a blade will most likely be worse than a bad shot with a SGI iron - for most people.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are two reasons for this...

1) Marketing. Golf companies do it to sell products to those stupid enough to fall for the hype.
2) Club golfers buy kit because they think it might make them better. Pro's only use new kit once they have proved it gives them an edge.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ultimately it is about enjoyment. Some folk enjoy using that equipment and couldn't give a damn about anything else (I would be like this) some folk must win/reduce handicap at all costs so use whatever they feel they need to.

I couldnt give a toss what anybody else uses to be honest. It has no bearing on my enjoyment of the game.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
how many poor iron swings are people making in one round?

we are all am golfers so i would say quite a fe. i get two or 3 per round, the diff is, with my GI irons im about the same distance as a good swing which means just missing the green. with my old clubs i would be well short and in some trouble.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im not buying this! ive seen a million people with GI clubs put bad swings in them clubs and end up with a bad shot.

to flip this around, are you sure its not the GI club who have swallowed the marketing guff? play theses, they are far easier and better for your game as you still score the exact same score as you did before but feel better doing it .

ive played with jpx800 irons and my distance control was shot. even playing chip and runs was a lottery as the ball seemed to blast off the face. touch of an elephant.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
im not buying this! ive seen a million people with GI clubs put bad swings in them clubs and end up with a bad shot.

to flip this around, are you sure its not the GI club who have swallowed the marketing guff? play theses, they are far easier and better for your game as you still score the exact same score as you did before but feel better doing it .

ive played with jpx800 irons and my distance control was shot. even playing chip and runs was a lottery as the ball seemed to blast off the face. touch of an elephant.

I had the same with the rocketbladez. I could have laser aligned self propelled always on plane clubs... I would still balls it up :)

A good swing regardless of club will go where intended, a bad one won't. An SGI club will just mask it slightly IMHO. Off to the range to fat some more... Laters ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree with Patrick in a much as we're all on here (... Bar a select few) amateur handicap golfers, so of course, we're going to put the occasional bad swing on the ball. How bad a swing will depend on the person, so forgiveness is different things to different people.

Myself, I find the middle more often than not with direction being the issue. My bad shot currently being a block, no GI club in the world is going to cure a path/face issue.

The same as if you hit a fat/thin/top/shank/pull/push/slice or hook, a GI club isn't going to correct this.

G10 drivers from Ping. One of the most forgiving drivers out there, 460cc head, I bet folk who had/have one could still hit a few of the shots listed above. No amount of forgiveness s going to help that.

G

guest100718

Surely it would be the elite level golfer who would benfit most from GI clubs? A high handicapper has so many faults that go way beyond what a GI club could help,

however for a pro that slight off centre hit that drops a yard short and in the bunker and means the difference between par and birdie....