Forgiveness.... not the myth i thought it was !

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nowt like a driver distance debate! Fwiw, I believe the OP's claim is very believable, 281 for a fit 24 year old is hardly earth shattering. But if that club is working for you KEEP IT! Regardless of what shaft label is on it. I swing it like a Senior tour player according to that list, bit depressing at 29, and I have used regular to x stiff with success. If it works it works. Nobody will care its a regular shaft when you are smoking it 40 past them.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Cant believe its being questioned. Like i said it was an absolute bomb. Probably 20-30 yards further than my average shot. Just for the BS crew. The flight path was perfectly straight and it had some decent roll out to it. Landed on a peak on a fairway and the roll was slightly down hill. The weather was sunny, minimal wind onto a fairway that had 2 hours in the sun before i hit onto it. Im a regular gym goer and not exactly a small lad. Its not a di*k measuring contest and I have absolutely no reason to lie about it.

In regards to the driver, its a really good price anyway so i'll give it a go and more than likely will be able to get my money back regardless. The callaway will stay with me until I've given the G30 a swing.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A lot of fairways are still rock hard after the summer and with the right wind and downhill it’s quite possible for people to still get long drives with big bounces and lots of roll - regardless of what someone’s HC is

That's why I asked about the conditions of the shot because I can assure you, very few if any are hitting 281 drives at our place now.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cant believe its being questioned. Like i said it was an absolute bomb. Probably 20-30 yards further than my average shot. Just for the BS crew. The flight path was perfectly straight and it had some decent roll out to it. Landed on a peak on a fairway and the roll was slightly down hill. The weather was sunny, minimal wind onto a fairway that had 2 hours in the sun before i hit onto it. Im a regular gym goer and not exactly a small lad. Its not a di*k measuring contest and I have absolutely no reason to lie about it.

In regards to the driver, its a really good price anyway so i'll give it a go and more than likely will be able to get my money back regardless. The callaway will stay with me until I've given the G30 a swing.
But what time was it? What had you eaten? How much sleep had you had? Yoga? Are you a demi god?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Did you consider getting a Callaway shaft in stiff to try.
There’s loads on eBay for good prices.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
How do you know ? Do you ask everyone how far they have hit it that day ?

Oh you are a right little tyrant aren't you :rolleyes:

There is no roll at our place now and few hit it 280 on a good day, our lot tend to be realistic real world drivers, the tree at the end of our range is 235 carry, only a few carry it on a good day ;)

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
Oh you are a right little tyrant aren't you :rolleyes:

There is no roll at our place now and few hit it 280 on a good day, our lot tend to be realistic real world drivers, the tree at the end of our range is 235 carry, only a few carry it on a good day ;)

You dismiss the OP’s claim that he hit a drive 281, so all I’m asking is how do you know the distances everyone is hitting it at your place ? If the range is using range balls it’s not surprising it’s only going 235.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
When I said range I meant strip, we don't have range balls, we use our own.

Anyway, I've just watched some highlights on the British Masters and the fairways there seem to be running like things were in the summer here, believe me, that is not the case where I am, so if the OP is playing on a course with fairways like the BM, then yes, 281 is achievable, but it's certainly not at ours for most.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

You don’t have to explain yourself.
I genuinely can’t understand why someone would question it.

He creamed one and it went 281 yrd 😱.

I know a couple of high handicappers that hit it a mile.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In regards to the shaft I've had a few lessons with the pro at the club and he has advised with how i swing the club he recommends i should be using stiff shafts as in my irons. Echoed by swinging a few clubs with the brother in law at AG the other day with a 101 club head speed.
Your pro should also have been able to explain there is no set "stiff" flex, every company and shaft maker is different. Taylormade for example have very whippy stiff shafts.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Always makes me laugh when someone’s distance is dismissed as BS due to their handicap.

I play regularly with two guys st the opposite end of the handicap spectrum.

One is a 26 handicapper and he hits the ball a country mile. Easily gets the ball 300yds off the tee however most of the time they’re not measurable as they can go in any direction. That particular golfer plays for the social aspect of the game and being able to smash a ball. He enjoys using his driver but the rest of his game is rubbish.

The other plays off 3 and hits around 230yds. However I don’t remember the last time he missed a fairway or duffed a tee shot. He’s relatively short in terms of the players we regularly play with but he hits it straight, can use long irons off the deck and can hit a green from around 200yds. Has a deadly short game and rarely 3 putts. He doesn’t rely on length, he has the all round game.

Handicap should never be used as a means of judging someone’s distance (claimed or otherwise) off a tee. Consistency is what separates you the low from the high handicaps.

How many of us have creamed a driver 250yds (or whatever your optimum distance is) straight down the middle of a par 4 only to make a mess of the second, duff a chip and 3 putt to walk off with a 6!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always makes me laugh when someone’s distance is dismissed as BS due to their handicap.

I play regularly with two guys st the opposite end of the handicap spectrum.

One is a 26 handicapper and he hits the ball a country mile. Easily gets the ball 300yds off the tee however most of the time they’re not measurable as they can go in any direction. That particular golfer plays for the social aspect of the game and being able to smash a ball. He enjoys using his driver but the rest of his game is rubbish.

The other plays off 3 and hits around 230yds. However I don’t remember the last time he missed a fairway or duffed a tee shot. He’s relatively short in terms of the players we regularly play with but he hits it straight, can use long irons off the deck and can hit a green from around 200yds. Has a deadly short game and rarely 3 putts. He doesn’t rely on length, he has the all round game.

Handicap should never be used as a means of judging someone’s distance (claimed or otherwise) off a tee. Consistency is what separates you the low from the high handicaps.

How many of us have creamed a driver 250yds (or whatever your optimum distance is) straight down the middle of a par 4 only to make a mess of the second, duff a chip and 3 putt to walk off with a 6!!
Exactly. Distance and handicap can be totally unrelated. People are just obsessed with distance for some reason. To the point that one throwaway comment about a 280 yard drive has derailed this topic which was meant to be about forgiveness of different drivers.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I said range I meant strip, we don't have range balls, we use our own.

Anyway, I've just watched some highlights on the British Masters and the fairways there seem to be running like things were in the summer here, believe me, that is not the case where I am, so if the OP is playing on a course with fairways like the BM, then yes, 281 is achievable, but it's certainly not at ours for most.
Ours are still running way more than mid summer conditions in most years; partly the relatively sparse fairway growth but mainly the rock hard underlying ground.
In many ways it's not even a question of the underlying ground (sand, chalk, clay) it's down to the top few inches of soil remaining dry.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You only have to look at the weather today , you may get some run out in the east of the country but in the west it’s very wet today.
If the lad hits it that far that’s great , how anyone can question it without seeing the shot is silly.
If the Callaway head suits you just get a stiff shaft and try that if it works great if it dosnt just sell it on.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He never stated carry at all, 281 total was the distance! 240 to 250 is attainable for an average 100 mph swing speed. So he will have days when he’s swinging faster than that, it might have been one of those days. People’s swing speed can vary on different days, lots of different factor contribute to that. I use trackman a lot, I’ve seen mine vary from session to session by up to 15mph at times, depending on how I feel due to work, gym, tiredness etc. He never said 280 is his normal distance.

I know he didn't. I didn't respond to the OP. I was responding to a post which stated he should be hitting it that distance with a 100 mph swing. I understand and totally agree that with the right conditions anyone with a 100 mph swing (like myself) can hit a long one every now and again.