Anyone played Warkworth?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking for somewhere in the NE to play tomorrow morning. This is the only place I can find which is open today. Suspect one or two will reopen in the morning, but at the moment this seems our only option.

Bit of a trek (30 miles, 50 min drive), but cheap as chips (£8.50 on TOT).

Just wondering if anyone had played it, and what your thoughts are? Is it likely to be a quagmire? don't want to drive all that way if it is.

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Looking for somewhere in the NE to play tomorrow morning. This is the only place I can find which is open today. Suspect one or two will reopen in the morning, but at the moment this seems our only option.

Bit of a trek (30 miles, 50 min drive), but cheap as chips (£8.50 on TOT).

Just wondering if anyone had played it, and what your thoughts are? Is it likely to be a quagmire? don't want to drive all that way if it is.

We always have a drive up in the winter as it's typically one of the driest. They've just put summer tees back on recently which makes the course a lot better. In terms of whether it'll be a bog, there's a usually a wet patch around the 1st green as it's at the bottom of a hill and then around the 6th green/7th tee. Rest of the course would be fine I'd imagine although we have had a huge amount of rain recently.

Another option could be Alnmouth Village? Another good 9 hole course which typically survives the weather.

We are looking for somewhere dry to play on Saturday morning, providing to be a little difficult!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We always have a drive up in the winter as it's typically one of the driest. They've just put summer tees back on recently which makes the course a lot better. In terms of whether it'll be a bog, there's a usually a wet patch around the 1st green as it's at the bottom of a hill and then around the 6th green/7th tee. Rest of the course would be fine I'd imagine although we have had a huge amount of rain recently.

Another option could be Alnmouth Village? Another good 9 hole course which typically survives the weather.

We are looking for somewhere dry to play on Saturday morning, providing to be a little difficult!

Cheers. Alnmouth Village website appeared to be down, tried Foxton but it's shut today.

Warkworth sounds fine if there is nowhere nearer open and in decent nick tomorrow.

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers. Alnmouth Village website appeared to be down, tried Foxton but it's shut today.

Warkworth sounds fine if there is nowhere nearer open and in decent nick tomorrow.

I've always found Foxton to be wetter and in worse condition than Warkworth and Alnmouth Village. Enjoy, hopefully we are due some better weather soon!

DCB

Visit site
Alnmouth Village should certainly have stood up to the wet conditions recently. Nice 9 hole and a fair test of golf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was up in Alnmouth at the weekend, not playing though. The Village will be absolutely fine. Only snow, fog and mist closes that down. Foxton is not a links course, not on a sand base, so that suffers the same as other inland courses.

I see no reason why Warkworth would not be okay, Newbiggin the same I suspect. Take your pick of any of those 3.

You could always head south and play South Shields. They have a deal on for Thursdays in April, 10-2pm, £12.50 per person inc bacon butty. Better course than all of the above to be fair.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was up in Alnmouth at the weekend, not playing though. The Village will be absolutely fine. Only snow, fog and mist closes that down. Foxton is not a links course, not on a sand base, so that suffers the same as other inland courses.

I see no reason why Warkworth would not be okay, Newbiggin the same I suspect. Take your pick of any of those 3.

You could always head south and play South Shields. They have a deal on for Thursdays in April, 10-2pm, £12.50 per person inc bacon butty. Better course than all of the above to be fair.

That sounds a cracking deal, will give them a ring, thanks.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Went to South Shields in the end. Very enjoyable, course was in great nick - saw one puddle all day. Bacon sandwich was very nice as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those expecting Wentworth 😁, Warkworth is a very nice village in Northumberland. The nearest town you will have heard of is Alnwick. The course there is a links one, although not as nice as Wentworth you don't have to be a millionaire to play it.