Anyone played Isle of Skye Golf Club??

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May be heading up to Kyle of Lochalsh/Skye direction in October with the family for a long weekend and was toying with the idea of squeezing my golf bats in for the journey too. I see that there's a wee nine-holer on Skye and just wondered if anyone on the Forum has played it. The views look amazing!!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The last time I was in Skye(two years ago) I took my clubs with every intention of playing this nice wee nine hole,unfortunately the weather turned against me,it was torrential rain all week,and the course shut! It certainly looked quite nice!

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was there last year and the same happened to me. Torrential rain and course closed. Had a pleasant chat with the bloke in the club though. Course looked ok but difficult to say what the greens were like.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had an annual trip to Skye for the last few years (for hillwalking rather than golf). It usually rains - have probably had about three nice days out of about 15......

I'm sure the sun will come out for you though, DelB! :)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played it about 20 years ago. Was in the summer so we didn't start till about 6:30 and finished about 10:00pm. Hired clubs off them which they left in the porch for us, and we left them there when we'd finished.

Obviously too long ago to be relevant as to present condition - but was in decent nick at the time - and in a place with views to die for. If you get the weather, go for it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Heading to Kyle of Lochalsh end of this week - any recommendations for quirky / scenic courses within an hour...and yes even 9 hole courses!! :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nay need for golf in those places...... just get on the Hill man!!

I'm talking after the 10 mile walk, Dave. Got to build up an appetite somehow.

Careful everyone...... :)

Have you been up quiraing? I fancy it and dont find being on hills or mountains, but dont like scrambling or sheer drops being close.

Will have the dog also, is it noy for me?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cant say I've played any of them, but Gairloch has always looked nice. Triegh on the way is prob worth it.
Prob not the best time of year to.be playing golf around there tbh?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played most of the courses up in far NW over the years. They will all be a bit soggy at this time of year but the scenery can make up for that. I'd play Isle of Skye ahead of Lochcarron, and Gairloch ahead of either of them. Traigh is spectacular and worth a visit but not the detour unless you're taking the Mallaig ferry.

The Quairaing is definitely worth a visit. There are loads of different paths criss-crossing the landscape so you can choose where you feel comfortable to go. Dogs will be fine there too. There is also an excellent walk which leaves from the road above Elgol along the hillside towards the Cuillin with spectacular views if you get a good clear day.

On the mainland Plockton is a lovely village to visit (on the road to Loch Carron) and a nice we local Hill to climb is Auchtertyre Hill above Balmacara Square.

Loads of other great walks of all types if you google around a bit.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cant say I've played any of them, but Gairloch has always looked nice. Triegh on the way is prob worth it.
Prob not the best time of year to.be playing golf around there tbh?

Yeah Traigh's a bit too far. A shame as I drove past it (without golf clubs) on the way to Lallaig the other year.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've played most of the courses up in far NW over the years. They will all be a bit soggy at this time of year but the scenery can make up for that. I'd play Isle of Skye ahead of Lochcarron, and Gairloch ahead of either of them. Traigh is spectacular and worth a visit but not the detour unless you're taking the Mallaig ferry.

The Quairaing is definitely worth a visit. There are loads of different paths criss-crossing the landscape so you can choose where you feel comfortable to go. Dogs will be fine there too. There is also an excellent walk which leaves from the road above Elgol along the hillside towards the Cuillin with spectacular views if you get a good clear day.

On the mainland Plockton is a lovely village to visit (on the road to Loch Carron) and a nice we local Hill to climb is Auchtertyre Hill above Balmacara Square.

Loads of other great walks of all types if you google around a bit.

Cheers Ian, will give Quairaing a go then, as seen some pictures and it looks stunning.

If I play golf, may be just a local one if we get back in time from a walk and can get 9-18 in, and if I get a 2nd game in, may just be 9 on the way back from somewhere like Ullapool.

Hope you're well, mate.(y)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your going to Ullapool Gairloch is on the way back which is a lovely course.
Might be a bit more challenging now with daylight to do much at Ullapool and get in a round of golf at Gairloch though, the roads are beautiful but not that quick.
The Quiraing is an pleasant walk and from memory not particularly challenging but with quite a few sheep so be careful with a dog.
Though it's been about ten years since I was up there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Drove past Sconser a good few times when we were in Skye last year and the location of the coarse is stunning…though didn’t have the time to play it.

When in Skye if you have the time, the boat trip from Elgin into Loch Coruisk is well worth doing. Yes of course it’s a tourist ‘must do’ and has to be booked. But it is for a good reason. Even with the clouds on the tops of the Cuillin (normal) the bowl of 3000+ft hills is awesome, and the views across to Rum, Eigg and Canna…just ‘cannae’ be beat.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Drove past Sconser a good few times when we were in Skye last year and the location of the coarse is stunning…though didn’t have the time to play it.

When in Skye if you have the time, the boat trip from Elgin into Loch Coruisk is well worth doing. Yes of course it’s a tourist ‘must do’ and has to be booked. But it is for a good reason. Even with the clouds on the tops of the Cuillin (normal) the bowl of 3000+ft hills is awesome, and the views across to Rum, Eigg and Canna…just ‘cannae’ be beat.
?Elgol not Elgin.
You can walk round to Loch Coruisk from Sligachan though I seem to remember there is one delicate bit which might not be dog friendly and it's al longish walk there and back.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
?Elgol not Elgin.
You can walk round to Loch Coruisk from Sligachan though I seem to remember there is one delicate bit which might not be dog friendly and it's al longish walk there and back.
Bleedin’ autocorrect….Elgol of course.

Yes you can walk round by Camasunary Bay then round the headland into Coruisk…but doing that bit you have to traverse the ‘bad step’. Can’t imagine that it’s that dog-friendly as you have to edge along a little ledge or climb round the top…with a steep smooth rocky drop straight down into the sea (though it’s not too far a drop ?).

C78A5B82-239E-41A7-A65B-13BFB7827EC1.jpeg

Alternative way to get into Coruisk is to park at Sligachan and walk all the way up the glen and then up and over the pass…it’s a fabulous walk, but it’s a long way.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
?Elgol not Elgin. You can walk round to Loch Coruisk from Sligachan though I seem to remember there is one delicate bit which might not be dog friendly and it's al longish walk there and back.
You are naughty people - you've got me all wistful. Loch Coruisk is my favourite place in the whole UK. Staying in the Coruisk Memorial Hut is just the best,
As SILH says the 'short' way in from Sligachan is down the glen then over the pass. Has the advantage of not going past the bad step. Something like 26-27k as a round trip. Going down & round via Camasunary is a lot longer. Walking in from Elgol is shorter (probably 20k) round trip but still goes over the step.

As an aside, nice to see they've now got a memorial statue of MacKenzie & Collie at Sligachan. I once paid a visit to their graves in Struan at the top end of Loch Harport.