anyone played Bishop Auckland?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our place has reciprocal arrangements with Bishop Auckland and Eaglescliffe. One of the lads I play with has suggested a trip down to BA this weekend.

It's a bit of a trek and have seen some mixed reviews on golfshake - just wondering if anyone has played it and what your thoughts were?

Will be making the trip to Eaglescliffe later in the year.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bishop Is up and down first few holes. But then it's a decent layout after that.
It might be a bit wet in places. Every time I've played it it's rained at some point.
Greens are normally good but last year they altered a couple and returfed 4 (if memory is right it was 1,3,9,16) so they might be a little bumpy. It's worth a trip out.

Eaglescliffe is better but I would leave that till later in year

Let me know how you get on and what you think

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bishop Is up and down first few holes. But then it's a decent layout after that.
It might be a bit wet in places. Every time I've played it it's rained at some point.
Greens are normally good but last year they altered a couple and returfed 4 (if memory is right it was 1,3,9,16) so they might be a little bumpy. It's worth a trip out.

will do.

had a look at the card, 3 par 5s in a row, holes 2-4 is a bit of an odd way to start.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And whatever you do dont slice on the first tee shot the club house is there and has some big windows.. Yes the first 9 holes play long and when its wet it is a real slog.. We also have a reciprocal agreement with them (and Saltburn) because the 3 clubs all celebrated their centenary in 1994. Eaglescliffe is great and nicer to play when its heavy..

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And whatever you do dont slice on the first tee shot the club house is there and has some big windows.. Yes the first 9 holes play long and when its wet it is a real slog.. We also have a reciprocal agreement with them (and Saltburn) because the 3 clubs all celebrated their centenary in 1994. Eaglescliffe is great and nicer to play when its heavy..

thanks for the advice!

forecast is decent for the rest of the week, so hopefully will be dry enough by saturday.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Bishop is a nice enough course - not spectacular. Certainly will be wet in places. Expect to play off a mat in the winter!

not to keen on the 1st uphill short par 4. The first 11 holes are decent but then the last 7 holes are all par 4s! I was 1 over in the county div 2 championship this year after 11 holes - then I think I got bored! bogey the last 7! haha

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bishop is a nice enough course - not spectacular. Certainly will be wet in places. Expect to play off a mat in the winter!

not to keen on the 1st uphill short par 4. The first 11 holes are decent but then the last 7 holes are all par 4s! I was 1 over in the county div 2 championship this year after 11 holes - then I think I got bored! bogey the last 7! haha

I played same day shot 4over

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Had a very enjoyable day. Weather was fantastic, 17 degrees when we teed off at 2.30 and didn't have to put a jumper on until the last couple of holes. There was only one party behind us, we let them through on the 9th and had the course to ourselves after that.

The course itself was in good nick, nice and dry. Greens were tricky and about twice as fast as those at our place. Dropped a good few shots as a result.

Pretty hilly in places, it was a slog pushing the trolley up them, wouldn't be much fun on a wet and windy day. The layout is a bit bizarre,with 3 par 5s in a row, and 6 par 4s in a row to finish.

Nice clubhouse and the folk I spoke to were all pretty friendly. Would definitely go back