Anyone play the Titleist Velocity golf ball?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
(I know golf ball threads are boring, sorry.) :LOL:

Most of you have probably seen the MyGolfSpy report on golf balls (there's a thread about it), and while they mainly reviewed more premium balls, they seemed to touch on the point that using soft balls for more compression is a myth unless you have a very slow swing, which I don't believe I do.

In theory the new Velocity balls should suit me. Long ball the tee. Lack of spin shouldn't affect my short game too much as I mainly play chip and runs with my irons if I can. I don't know if anyone knows what the actual compression is for these, but apparently they are slightly softer than the older Velocity balls. They also claim to give a higher ball flight, which would be good for me as I don't get a lot of height off my mid/longer irons as a rule.

I used to think of Velocity's as rocks but I think this latest one they brought out last year seems to have moved them on a bit. They are certainly more expensive than the older versions, not that price is everything of course.

Anyone using these and have any thoughts?

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting, I don't currently but I am thinking of doing so. The reason being that I notice when I am practising with pickups that I have that they feel really good off my putter face, there's a nice healthy click on contact.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting, I don't currently but I am thinking of doing so. The reason being that I notice when I am practising with pickups that I have that they feel really good off my putter face, there's a nice healthy click on contact.
That's another area where I'm not sure soft balls are doing me any favours. Greens are really slow at our place and I'm leaving putts short too often there. Trying a firmer ball may help.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I think for me, if I consider an alternative ball, I would always start with it on the putting green. If it feels good there, then take it and chip/pitch with it etc etc. Work through your shots from green to tee.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
For what you would spend on Velocity’s you could get a premium ball on sale. Last years Bridgestones etc can be had for less

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For what you would spend on Velocity’s you could get a premium ball on sale. Last years Bridgestones etc can be had for less
I don't really like buying Premium balls on sale that I wouldn't be willing to continue to pay for when not on sale, if that makes sense.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
(I know golf ball threads are boring, sorry.) :LOL:

Most of you have probably seen the MyGolfSpy report on golf balls (there's a thread about it), and while they mainly reviewed more premium balls, they seemed to touch on the point that using soft balls for more compression is a myth unless you have a very slow swing, which I don't believe I do.

In theory the new Velocity balls should suit me. Long ball the tee. Lack of spin shouldn't affect my short game too much as I mainly play chip and runs with my irons if I can. I don't know if anyone knows what the actual compression is for these, but apparently they are slightly softer than the older Velocity balls. They also claim to give a higher ball flight, which would be good for me as I don't get a lot of height off my mid/longer irons as a rule.

I used to think of Velocity's as rocks but I think this latest one they brought out last year seems to have moved them on a bit. They are certainly more expensive than the older versions, not that price is everything of course.

Anyone using these and have any thoughts?

Used one that I found once, abiding memory was that it ran forever and had absolutely no control around the short game for me, YMMV.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't over think this.

I'm a high handicapper as well (hopefully improving) and I don't reckon I could do any kind of test to determine which ball is better or more suitable. Simply not consistent enough to know if a well played shot was down to me, the ball, the club etc.

Last year I was happy buying 2nd hand balls as I would end up losing at least 1 or 2 balls a round, but having sorted my Driving out I got a dozen Pro V 1s about a month ago, which I have used for every competitive round (probably 6 games in total). I have only lost one (playing partner lost another) and the same ball has been in play for me in the last 3 competitive rounds - and is still in very decent nick.

However I still can't tell the difference when I hit a Srixon Soft Feel, or a Vice Tour - which I also have in my bag. I just went for the Mygolfspy recommendation as you have to play with something.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I've hit a few Velocity's when I've found them. No issues with them whatsoever, prefer quite a clip fast ball, especially putting with them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simple choice for me if I was considering going that way.

There are other makes of 2 piece balls every bit as good for half the amount Titleist want for the balls.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Used a found velocity today. Two out of the three shots went really well. The third shot, well I don't know where the ball is now.

dronfield

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't over think this.

I'm a high handicapper as well (hopefully improving) and I don't reckon I could do any kind of test to determine which ball is better or more suitable. Simply not consistent enough to know if a well played shot was down to me, the ball, the club etc.

Last year I was happy buying 2nd hand balls as I would end up losing at least 1 or 2 balls a round, but having sorted my Driving out I got a dozen Pro V 1s about a month ago, which I have used for every competitive round (probably 6 games in total). I have only lost one (playing partner lost another) and the same ball has been in play for me in the last 3 competitive rounds - and is still in very decent nick.

However I still can't tell the difference when I hit a Srixon Soft Feel, or a Vice Tour - which I also have in my bag. I just went for the Mygolfspy recommendation as you have to play with something.

Agree 100%.

I too am a high h/c and as no 2 strikes are the same, would never try and state what type of ball suited my game - could never identify one brand/model in a blindfold test.

Historically when i have needed to top up my supply of balls, i have just bought Grade A lake balls off Ebay - generally selecting a previous years model, eg, Titleist Solo.

Rich