Anyone play the Titleist Velocity golf ball?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I found one on the 18th last night. Hit a fairway wood with it and it definitely went a long way on a heel strike but they don't float if you shove the next into the pond. They wouldn't be my ball of choice as a two piece and favour the AD333 as a winter type ball

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't over think this.

I'm a high handicapper as well (hopefully improving) and I don't reckon I could do any kind of test to determine which ball is better or more suitable. Simply not consistent enough to know if a well played shot was down to me, the ball, the club etc.

Last year I was happy buying 2nd hand balls as I would end up losing at least 1 or 2 balls a round, but having sorted my Driving out I got a dozen Pro V 1s about a month ago, which I have used for every competitive round (probably 6 games in total). I have only lost one (playing partner lost another) and the same ball has been in play for me in the last 3 competitive rounds - and is still in very decent nick.

However I still can't tell the difference when I hit a Srixon Soft Feel, or a Vice Tour - which I also have in my bag. I just went for the Mygolfspy recommendation as you have to play with something.

I think one of the major things to come out of the MGS report was that whatever you do, play the same type of ball consistently.

Let's forget for a minute the absolute performance of the different balls and which one may or may not suit your swing speed and game.

But if you practice with pick ups and they don't spin much around the green, you will get used to your chip and pitch shots releasing and so take that into account. Then you break out the rand new Pro V1 for a comp and all of a sudden your chip and pitch shots start gripping and you are consistently short on your chip shots.

I'm not saying that this is happening to you, but pointing out the issues with playing with different balls. The best thing you can do is to play with the same balls in every round. I noticed it, I have been playing with Bridgestone BXS which check up lovely then went to a Wilson DX2 and everything released a few yards past the hole

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think one of the major things to come out of the MGS report was that whatever you do, play the same type of ball consistently.

Let's forget for a minute the absolute performance of the different balls and which one may or may not suit your swing speed and game.

But if you practice with pick ups and they don't spin much around the green, you will get used to your chip and pitch shots releasing and so take that into account. Then you break out the rand new Pro V1 for a comp and all of a sudden your chip and pitch shots start gripping and you are consistently short on your chip shots.

I'm not saying that this is happening to you, but pointing out the issues with playing with different balls. The best thing you can do is to play with the same balls in every round. I noticed it, I have been playing with Bridgestone BXS which check up lovely then went to a Wilson DX2 and everything released a few yards past the hole
The funny thing is, I fully agree with this, but I just find it too hard to stick to one. Every time I think I've got the ball I'm going to stick with, something comes along and changes my mind and I end up buying something else anyway. :ROFLMAO:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The funny thing is, I fully agree with this, but I just find it too hard to stick to one. Every time I think I've got the ball I'm going to stick with, something comes along and changes my mind and I end up buying something else anyway. :ROFLMAO:

Oh yeah, totally know where you are coming from

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did buy some Titleist Velocity and debuted them yesterday. Shot my best round of the year so obviously they're amazing. :D But genuinely I did feel the ball flight was really good. I wasn't sure if it Placebo until the 16th, when my buddy who normally hits roughly the same distance as me, hit a great drive up the middle. I hit quite a high fade but as it turned out I was a good 10-15 yards past his ball. Whether there is a true gain or just imagined is hard to quantify, but there was enough evidence across the round to give me confidence in the new golf balls anyway.