Anyone man enough to own up to....

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
...protecting their handicap ?

Over the course of the season I tried very hard to reduce my handicap, and to a degree successfully but when I see others almost give up a point one with ease it makes me think some are at the Buster Keaton.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
...protecting their handicap ?

Over the course of the season I tried very hard to reduce my handicap, and to a degree successfully but when I see others almost give up a point one with ease it makes me think some are at the Buster Keaton.

Never ever. I play in over 100 qualifiers a year and am always fighting off the 0.1s.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'll admit its crossed my mind, I'm playing way better than my handicap and i have knockouts coming up. However competing us to much fun to sit out just to protect the handicap.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope never have and never will. Had the chance in my last round to get something back on the last hole of the round.. blob and I’d get something back.. so I pushed to get a point to avoid it

Just would feel wrong trying to not play to the best I can

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hadn't touched a club for over a month before last Saturday's round. Decided not to enter the comp. Didn't seem worth the 0.1. Shoot me 🔫

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have avoided playing in a medal this year as I've hardly played and so I thought I wouldn't score well and didn't want my handicap to go up.
Never tried to protect it from going down though. God knows I'm still doing my best to get it lower.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No and never would. I still adamantly believe I can get to single figures even if the handicap hasn't got the message and I'd not shy away from any comp for fear of getting 0.1 further away. Nor would I deliberately throw a reasonable round to ensure the handicap ticked over to a higher mark before a big event (seen that done)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seem to have responses on both protecting a handicap that people are struggling to play to, and protecting a handicap that they are more than comfortable playing with!

I will add a third, I struggle in strokeplay because I desperately want to reduce my handicap again as I'm frequently the source of comment in matches. The net result has been a string of 0.1 and even more comments!

So, I'm damned if I play Q events, and damned if I don't...not a comfortable place! On balance I'm trying to minimise the increases as the better option.

5 trebles with 13 pars is a fairly normal round for me...such is life

D

Deleted member 1147

Down 0.4, want it to be lower but only 1 more opportunity this year.

Too many Stablefords, not enough medals, this year. I never score as well in stabs!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
defo, gone up 0.1 at 60 times and have my entry in for the Trilby Tour... and the so and so match play and this and that tour, sunny climes here i come;)

You mock but, when you see it going on in front of your very eyes, it makes you wonder about the stress one puts themself under to try and get cut or save those .1's going up.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I had my knockout final and a comp up at St Andrews within a week of each other. Before this I was in a club comp and I was at 11.4. I remember thinking that if I didn’t play well, the silver lining was an extra shot in two big events (for me!).

As it happened, I played pretty meh but at no point did I try to play poorly. I do remember walking down the 18th thinking ‘Not a great round but that extra shot might come in handy...’

It didn’t. I won the matchplay final easily and played ok up at St Andrews (Eden) but was nowhere near the lead.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I probably don't get to play enough medals due to work. Only really get one weekend off a month. Would love to play more medal golf, hopefully next year.

I know of one person who will not play all medals but is happy to come out and mark a card!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, there's not a single reason to do that in my mind. I enter competitions to do as well as possible and try and get my handicap down.