Anyone joined a golf club on their own?

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I did it 12-13 years ago. Rocked up on a Sat morning, had breakfast, entered the Swindle, spent three hours in the bar & walked away with 15 new friends! If your club play friendly matches against other local clubs enter yourself & you'll make loads of new friends in a great environment. Couple of Medals later & you've met another 6-10 Members. Best thing I ever did & most of them are still friends a decade or so later even after I moved club.

Good luck with it all & remember you may feel a little isolated at first but everyone has to start somewhere :thup:

So my usual golfing buddies are moving away or just not as keen as me.

To make sure I keep playing golf I'm thinking of joining a club to meet new people and possibly play competitions.

Having never joined anywhere, is this common practice? I've this thought in my head that everyone is buddied up and will despise the idea of me joining on to a 2 or 3 ball for a competition ��

That's even assuming I manage to get 3 cards in for a handicap ��.

I've only been playing a few year and unofficially around the 16-17 mark, so competent enough.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Just joined a new club myself, they have a new members day on the 2nd of April, 10 hole event, followed by a buffet.
Was in two minds about going as I haven't even got a handicap yet and I seem to worry too much about what other people think and don't want to make a fool of myself!!!
Reading this I'm just going to go for it 😀

ge12

Visit site
Your situation sounds pretty much identical to the one I was in, friends that like playing golf every month or so but not as regularly as I would like, I eventually took the plunge and joined a club on my own just after xmas. I explained my situation to the the Membership Manager when I was enquiring and he assured me that there were a number of roll ups to get involved in, I then spoke with the pro who explained when they all were. Now I can turn up at 7:00 on either Saturday or Sunday, and as long as there is not a competition that day there is always a group of around 10-15 guys to play with, we all put a ball in a bag and then groups are drawn at random, everyone pays a few £'s and then there are individual prizes, team prizes and closest to the pin.

There is a core of guys that have been doing this for years but every time I have been there has been 1 or 2 new faces that I've not seen before, so far everyone has been really welcoming and it's been an ideal way of getting 3 cards signed for my handicap. I am not the most outgoing when it comes to meeting new people but it really was a good thing to do. You'll find most people are pretty nice, and like nearly all of them have said to me, they were in the same situation at some point.

I'd say don't hesitate and get stuck in, don't be self conscious about your ability, I've had some really good rounds which is fun and people are generally happy for you, but believe me I've had some shocking ones too, that's the nature of being a mid to high teen handicapper, and once people realise you're just having one of those days they'll have a laugh with you and give you a bit of friendly stick which for me definitely made me feel welcome as if they genuinely thought I was rubbish they wouldn't say anything.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I joined a club on my own a couple of years ago. Found out when the Sunday morning roll-up took place and explained I needed three cards for a handicap and got to know a few of the guys at the club that way. All very welcoming and encouraging. I've entered as many competitions as I could, usually just putting my name down to make up a three ball and met many more members that way. I've not got a regular playing partner so often go out on my own when not in competitions, but I usually bump into someone I've played with before who will ask how I'm getting on.

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was in exactly the same boat as you are now, I play a bit during the summer with a society and with mates but hadn't been a member for years.
I asked a question on here looking for local recomendations and was lucky enough to be given a steer by Oddsocks that his club sounded a good fit.
I got a free round and was invited to join the weekend swindle, turned out to be a great club with "normal people" as members. I joined, threw myself into the comps/swindle to get my cards in (you can play in the comps, just can't win a prize) In short it was the best thing i've done for my game, I play more regulally, in a competative environment, which I wanted. My handicap has fallen and I have any number of friendly faces to say hi to and play with.
You will only get out of it what you put in, go into it with a nagative attitude and you may well struggle, put yourself out, put your name down for everything you can, turn up to the social events and you will feel at home in no time. Most members will have been in a similar position at one time of another. I can honestly say I have never been disapointed to see who I am drawn with (although I am not sure I can say the same for my PP's!!)
Do it, you won't regret it.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like other's have said just get stuck in. Joined last year and played with various members a couple of who I regulary play with now. Went up last night to join the Rabbits team and the amount of people that you recognise and say hello to is unbelievable. We had a couple of new member rounds and drink after days but I couldn't make them. I usually just ring the pro to book on a tee time with who ever plus the pro has put me with members that he thought would show me the ropes and welcome me to the club but to be fair ever member has been great.

Loved my last year and really glad I joined. Just get your face out there and get stuck in. Even if you go up 30 mins before your tea time you'll gradually meet more members too, just by being on the putting green gets you into conversation with someone.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...yes - I knew not one single member but by entering comps and by using the clubhouse I was integrated very quickly. I now know most members - in fact now that they know me a 'gobbie' Scot maybe they would prefer to 'unknow' me :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did and it was great!

Met a bucket o great people and didn't get stuck in a clique or small circle.

I had two offers for games most weekends.

I ended up captaining a Thursday league team within 15 months of joining.

Not knowing people should not be a barrier.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
Just joined a club for the first time and did it on my own. Pro's been really good with offers of arranging a game for me etc don't feel ready to go out with "proper golfers" yet though. I'm still targeting 120, shot a 130 today although it was very wet.

Hopefully my game will improve, I can get three cards in and get a handicap (even if it's a 28), and start going out with the other members.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just joined a club for the first time and did it on my own. Pro's been really good with offers of arranging a game for me etc don't feel ready to go out with "proper golfers" yet though. I'm still targeting 120, shot a 130 today although it was very wet.

Hopefully my game will improve, I can get three cards in and get a handicap (even if it's a 28), and start going out with the other members.

Get the cards in and get stuck into comps. Best way to meet lots of other members and don't be embarrassed. You have a handicap for a reason. If your club has weekend roll ups, find out when these are as there are usually a lot of regulars and it will get you a regular game

gary996

Visit site
Well an update as the thread starter; I have today filled in my membership form :).

Gonna hand it in this week and plan on leaving my details for any new or existing members who are after a round.

I'll still get use out of a membership even without any new playing partners as I have a couple of people who will play asa visitor, but I'm after more structured and serious golf, so hoping that to meet a few new people.

Thanks for the advice :)

D

Deleted member 1740

I did and it's the best thing I've ever done.

I joined a club that at the time the clubhouse was thriving and it had a great social side to it.

I met pp and have made some very good friends that I still play with and have a beer with.

Joining the right club is important.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
It's looking nice mate. They've done a lot of course development over the winter.

Give me a shout if you want a round when you're back.

im about to hand my forms in for up chestermy mates not joining until his finances are better ... are there any roll ups there? I'll need to get 3 cards signed before I can play comps

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Well an update as the thread starter; I have today filled in my membership form :).

Gonna hand it in this week and plan on leaving my details for any new or existing members who are after a round.

I'll still get use out of a membership even without any new playing partners as I have a couple of people who will play asa visitor, but I'm after more structured and serious golf, so hoping that to meet a few new people.

Thanks for the advice :)

Enjoy the course was like a marsh 2 weeks a go and a water hazard formed on the 7th... I'm going to try and get 9 holes in tonight up there I'll let you know what the course is like