Anyone joined a golf club on their own?

gary996

Visit site
So my usual golfing buddies are moving away or just not as keen as me.

To make sure I keep playing golf I'm thinking of joining a club to meet new people and possibly play competitions.

Having never joined anywhere, is this common practice? I've this thought in my head that everyone is buddied up and will despise the idea of me joining on to a 2 or 3 ball for a competition 😂

That's even assuming I manage to get 3 cards in for a handicap 🙈.

I've only been playing a few year and unofficially around the 16-17 mark, so competent enough.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So my usual golfing buddies are moving away or just not as keen as me.

To make sure I keep playing golf I'm thinking of joining a club to meet new people and possibly play competitions.

Having never joined anywhere, is this common practice? I've this thought in my head that everyone is buddied up and will despise the idea of me joining on to a 2 or 3 ball for a competition 

That's even assuming I manage to get 3 cards in for a handicap .

I've only been playing a few year and unofficially around the 16-17 mark, so competent enough.
Just do it
What you going to do sit in the house.
Most golfers will welcome you to play.
Most comps are online now this is how you will meet new people and get to know how the roll ups etc work.
Dont be so negative 16 cap is quite good.
a lot of people stop playing because their mates do, if you love the game don't let that be you.

D

Deleted member 17920

happens all the time, just make sure you find a club that will do all it can to intergrate new members.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I joined my local club without having played with any of the members before. I did know one or two of them socially, but hadn't seen them in a while. Settled in quite quickly. I handed in three cards from a society weekend to get a provisional handicap and went from there. Go for it!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
On moving to Wales, I joined Newport not knowing anyone.... and it didn't take that long before they bolted me into a regular group... different clubs manage tee times and new members differently, but it's easily done in most places.

Which club are you looking to join, they may even be someone on here who plays there

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Joined a club not knowing anyone and I was a total hacker.

Was tough at first as I hated being by far the worst player in every group, but it has got better now and I don't mind playing even with the scratch boys now.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I joined my club when I moved up to Scotland. I was lucky to be invited to join a group who I have been playing with now for 11 years. Also made lots of other friends in the club and this year was elected to Captain. A lot can depend on how much effort you put in as well.
Just go for it, talk to people, play medals, and enjoy yourself.

gary996

Visit site
Looking to join George Washington in Tyneside. I know the pro from lessons and their head of golf replied to an email that they have a few new members they could introduce me to, so think I'm gonna give their flexi membership a shot in the first instance.

Fraz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have done it twice, first time just started playing with randoms in medals and now have a new golf buddy through it that I play with all the time.

I have however just moved clubs again (above golf buddy is taking a couple of years out due to kid and new house) and so far I have put my name on the Sat morning sheet twice and not had any existing members stick their names down to fill the slots, weird considering the rest of the day is booked solid!

Club so far has not mentioned anything about a new members day or anything as of yet so looks like I will just need to make an extra effort!

gary996

Visit site
When you say most comps are online, what do you mean by this?

Would I simply just pick a tee time or is it likely the club would put me in a group?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking to join George Washington in Tyneside. I know the pro from lessons and their head of golf replied to an email that they have a few new members they could introduce me to, so think I'm gonna give their flexi membership a shot in the first instance.

You should be OK - there's quite a few dodgy Geordies on here.

Freewaytom

Visit site
I had a conversation today with a club about joining and in exactly the same situation as you, apart from location.

Guess I just want to say thanks for starting the thread!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When you say most comps are online, what do you mean by this?

Would I simply just pick a tee time or is it likely the club would put me in a group?

Depends on the club, the majority of comps will be drawn tee times at the majority of clubs. Either put your name down on the sheet on the noticeboard or online depending on what they use and they will draw tee times.

General rule of thumb in my experience is drawn tee times at the weekend, midweek ones play in your own groups.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to forum
There is a few north east lads on here but don't think anyone is a member at washy on here.
Your more than welcome down my place for a game. I'm sure if you join then Ryan will be able to help you out loads he is a good lad

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just join.

when i started, i joined a local club and knew no one, soon found a few guys to play with. Then moved back up here again knew no one that played. Just got stuck in. been a member at a few clubs and only one of those was unwelcoming and a bit of a clique, with a big dose of inverted snobbery. That was a council course to all intense and purpose. The club I#m in now is a top 100 course that has a stuck up reputation.. its the friendliest club ive been a member of and the most inclusive.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have. Either speak to the club and ask them to put you in touch with a roll up organiser or just rock up at the time you want to play and ask to join someone. Most people are welcoming.both the club's I joined on my own had no tee booking though so not sure if that makes a difference to the rocking up method.