Anyone joined a golf club on their own?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Joined 3 clubs without knowing anyone, I just got to know when all the different timed roll-ups were and turned up and joined in, the Pro put me and matched me to people in the early comps and I soon got to know many members, I probably got to know more people across the whole club in less than a year than some do in 20+ years sticking to their cliques, which is surprising as I'm quite shy & reserved :mmm:.

Just go for it and get stuck in

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You should be OK - there's quite a few dodgy Geordies on here.

A few, you are being kind to a newbie 😁

join, pick the club you like and get a good feel from, which I think you already have. Ask the club pro to pair you up with a few PPs. We have all done it at some time. Enjoy me man.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think all the clubs I've joined have been on my own, and I guess the next club I join will be too, first question I ask is "Who do I speak to about joining the 8/9am swindle?"

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The last two clubs I have join, I joined not knowing anyone. The first I only lasted a year I didn't know anyone in that year at the club and then decided it wasn't for me. Partly the course and partly because I didn't know anyone.

The second club I have been there now for 6 years and I love it. The first year I didn't get to know that many people but stuck with it because I really liked the course. The second year I decided to start entering comps and haven't looked back. I now have a regular Saturday game with a couple of guys that I have met through the comps.

My only regret is that I didn't just get out there sooner entering comps and getting to know people. So get stuck in and you'll meet some new people, just tell them in your first game your new to the club, new to comps and they will hopefully look after you and once you get to know people you'll get regular games.

I found it beneficial to get in the comps at the same time every week. We do ours in blocks of 30 mins, so I always go out between 8-8:30 and you'll find you get to meet/know the same guys each week. Its better than going out a random times every comp, obvious only if your schedule allows, and not getting to know people week on week.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Currently a member there but only for a few more weeks then I'm off to pastures new ... Chester as they do a reduced membership for my age

never met an ******** yet and if the pro you are having lessons with is Ryan I'm sure he will be able to help integrate you into the club

only ever had one issue and that was when I'd booked a 4:00 pm tee time online then got there and was told to tee off on the 10th as a league match was being played at 4:30. There were 3 fourballs waiting at the 10th. They should have blocked out that time too

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I joined Alsager Golf Club not knowing anyone and had a mixed experience.

The average age for the club is really quite high and not a mass amount of people my age but met some great guys there and it's a great club.

I've moved club (today is my first day as member!) on my own for the time being. However i've been a member before as a junior for 5/6 years so i'm sure i'll see some familiar faces.

Before joining somewhere i'd thoroughly check to see how their comp systems work; as mentioned above a lot of courses do this online now and i've always managed to find someone to play with on my own.
Ask questions that you'll want to know before joining, go for a drink in the bar, play a round as a visitor before joining to see if you get a good feel for the club firstly.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
happens all the time, just make sure you find a club that will do all it can to intergrate new members.

This...... i made the mistake of joining a new club on my own last year for about 9 months and it was the worst thing i ever did. I consider myself to be sociallly capable and generally compliant with all golfing etiquette but never have i felt so exposed and out of place. I couldn't wait to get back to my old place where i also joined on my own following a relocation. My advice is do your due diligence , it's all about the roll ups/swindles/fiddles ... they're the best way to integrate. Go for it !!!!!

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a member there there mate

There's a few of us on here

Give me a shout if you fancy a round?

Will do once I've signed up ... how's the course looking last played there in October I know they were doing a lot of work on it then with bunkers and trees

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will do once I've signed up ... how's the course looking last played there in October I know they were doing a lot of work on it then with bunkers and trees

It's starting to take shape nicely now

I believe the new holes are opening this month too can't wait to play them

It looks like it's going to be a bigger test now with all the bunkers added

When you looking at joining?

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
So my usual golfing buddies are moving away or just not as keen as me.

To make sure I keep playing golf I'm thinking of joining a club to meet new people and possibly play competitions.

Having never joined anywhere, is this common practice? I've this thought in my head that everyone is buddied up and will despise the idea of me joining on to a 2 or 3 ball for a competition 

That's even assuming I manage to get 3 cards in for a handicap .

I've only been playing a few year and unofficially around the 16-17 mark, so competent enough.

I joined a new club 3-years ago. Had to rush to get my handicap in time to be able to enter the summer knockouts. It was easy but had to do 3 cards in two days in February!!! The club champs and other comps had qualification rules.

You kind of have to put in a lot of effort up front to see the lie of the land and figure out all the different groups and connections.
As you're doing that it all blends into place. Take note of past captains etc. and they'll always see you right!

I was a bit of a moody jerk golfer in my early months, which I think probably put a few people off playing with me as I was more interested in my performance than meeting people and making friends, I had loaded weapons in the bag and no olive branches! It's taken 3yrs for the balance to be restored - made a few good friends and settled in nicely!
Hopefully there's not many like me out there, but hopefully someone might learn from my story...

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Joined mine and didn't know anyone, infact I am the only English bloke who is a member - I just got stuck in, now play with a good group on a sunday morning - I even help a few out with their English and a few of the juniors with their English schoolwork

jhills89

Medal Winner
Visit site
in the same situation as yourself, excpet i was the one that moved away,

been playing about 4 / 5 years now and down to the 15/16 handicap mark.

i joined my new local golf club last week and i new absolutely no one there. Hadnt even played the course.

On my first night there met the club captains and was introduced to everyone.

i now have more invites to play golf than i can fit he time in for.

Which is excactly why i joined. A new bunch of golfing mates and lots of oppertunites to play!
First card handed in and 2 rounds to be played this weekend ready for next weeks comp!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Joined mine and didn't know anyone, infact I am the only English bloke who is a member - I just got stuck in, now play with a good group on a sunday morning - I even help a few out with their English and a few of the juniors with their English schoolwork

There's a few members at our place who could do with some help with their English....especially Beezerk and his daft Yorkshire talk :D

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's starting to take shape nicely now

I believe the new holes are opening this month too can't wait to play them

It looks like it's going to be a bigger test now with all the bunkers added

When you looking at joining?

I'm back for a visit in the summer - usually play southmoor like - been years since I played Chester, hows it doing these days?