Anyone had a gap test - Worth it?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The title describes it really. Has anyone had a gapping test, was it worth it, good or bad I'd like to know.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yes excellent, always helps to know how far you hit your clubs and if any of them could do with tweeking (have lofts and lies checked at same time)

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had one on Saturday (won't name location just yet) but found the figures to be well off compared to reality on the course. All the way from 7 iron to 3 hybrid had a max carry of 134 yards which for example my 4 iron I was comfortably hitting 180 in to greens the day before. Then my driver apparently had a carry of 190 which wouldn't carry the hazard on our third hole which I comfortably clear on a weekly basis.

Said this to the guy who also didn't believe the figures and has invited me back next week to re do them.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gapping my clubs is something I keep meaning to do, but somehow keep forgetting.

I do think it would be worth it, as knowing the distance you hit your clubs can only be of benefit.

That written, where would anyone recommend, up here in the North East, I would guees some may say Close House, or Dynamic Indoor Golf at Brunswick, are there any others?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've done it right through the bag and carry a copy of it on my cart with carry distance and roll out for each club. I did it on a GC2 monitor indoors but found it pretty accurate in day to day use

D

Deleted member 3432

I've done it right through the bag and carry a copy of it on my cart with carry distance and roll out for each club. I did it on a GC2 monitor indoors but found it pretty accurate in day to day use

Very useful to know carry through the air distances as long as that is a starting point factoring in other things like temp, wind and how well you are hitting it on the day.

Roll out yardage is a waste of time as it is of no value at all as there are way too many variables at play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had one on Saturday (won't name location just yet) but found the figures to be well off compared to reality on the course. All the way from 7 iron to 3 hybrid had a max carry of 134 yards which for example my 4 iron I was comfortably hitting 180 in to greens the day before. Then my driver apparently had a carry of 190 which wouldn't carry the hazard on our third hole which I comfortably clear on a weekly basis.

Said this to the guy who also didn't believe the figures and has invited me back next week to re do them.

Didnt "The Terrorist" or Ads749r as he's known on here have this done recently. I thought he raved so I assume it wasn't the same bloke/place.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is useful. These days, I think the driver, fairway, hybrid, longest iron progression is the trickiest one. Sometimes the 3 wood is close to the driver and the hybrid not far behind, leaving a large gap to the longest iron, usually 4 iron.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I have all my carry yardages written on a little plastic sheet in my scorecard holder. Has it made me a better golfer? No. But when I miss greens I'm generally about level with the hole now.

I definitely think it's worthwhile doing. I think it's silly having any sort of DMD without knowing club yardages and a gapping session was the most convenient way for me to get them. Anything that takes away guess work and long days walking up and down a field is a good thing in my opinion. :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't forget to do it for 1/2 and 3/4 wedge and 9 iron shots so you can cover all yardages.

Print them to a label and stick them on the shaft

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
Didnt "The Terrorist" or Ads749r as he's known on here have this done recently. I thought he raved so I assume it wasn't the same bloke/place.

Yeah I had mine done by a reputable outfit :D loved it. I thought it was spot on and very informative. Gives you so much confidence if you trust yourself. I just think fripnchips is suffering from short ball syndrome :rofl:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Got mine done 3 weeks ago. Think it's made a great change to my game. Showed me that I wasn't swinging efficiently with the driver. So dropped it and got a 12 degree aeroburner mini instead. Haven't looked back.

Also given me confidence in which club to select all way from 200 yards down to 40.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For those who have done this, How much did it cost and where did you go? Do most club shops offer this service? Do you just hire the machine and put which club in you are hitting into the settings then get a print out with all the info at the end?

I want to get it done but I'm curious as to how it all works.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For those who have done this, How much did it cost and where did you go? Do most club shops offer this service? Do you just hire the machine and put which club in you are hitting into the settings then get a print out with all the info at the end?

I want to get it done but I'm curious as to how it all works.
mine was £30. Which I then got back as store credit if I biught anything within 28days (I did, a new wedge).

We we hit in the range into a net. Using my own balls. Even hit a few other balls just to see differet spin number.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Gapping my clubs is something I keep meaning to do, but somehow keep forgetting.

I do think it would be worth it, as knowing the distance you hit your clubs can only be of benefit.

That written, where would anyone recommend, up here in the North East, I would guees some may say Close House, or Dynamic Indoor Golf at Brunswick, are there any others?
ZFL at Benson are very reasonable, they have a GC 2 & all the usual stuff.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Kept trying to do it myself with my gps at the start of last season but it was always super windy when I went down or I was hitting it rubbish rendering it pointless. Will likely go and do it soon.

D

Deleted member 3432

Kept trying to do it myself with my gps at the start of last season but it was always super windy when I went down or I was hitting it rubbish rendering it pointless. Will likely go and do it soon.

Which is often the case when you play anyway. Raw data in iitself is just a set of numbers that you need to make an adjustment on with each shot.

Very rare you will play in perfect conditions ( at least in the cold, wet and windy north west coast) so the judgement of adding or taking yardage off the shot to be played is very important and imv the thing most golfers get wrong.