Anybody off skiing this winter ?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hopefully off to Italy in a months time enjoy Villard de Lans, not one I've been to.
Italy is fabulous. My last trip was to Valtournench, village just outside Cervina. Food and hospitality is great.
As for VdL, it's not at all well known in the UK, but it has a decentish downhill area, as well as the XC. Main attractions are that getting to Grenoble on the train is easy, and being less well known to Brits it doesn't attract huge school holiday crowds.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Italy is fabulous. My last trip was to Valtournench, village just outside Cervina. Food and hospitality is great.
As for VdL, it's not at all well known in the UK, but it has a decentish downhill area, as well as the XC. Main attractions are that getting to Grenoble on the train is easy, and being less well known to Brits it doesn't attract huge school holiday crowds.
Sounds great hope the snow is good to you.

D

Deleted member 3432

Doesn't seem much point in starting a new thread when a ten year old one will do perfectly well.
This time tomorrow I shall be checking into the Eurostar for my first trip abroad for 2 years. Only got a few days, so taking the XC kit down to Grenoble and staying in a small resort with a big XC area - Villard-de-Lans. Looking forward to fresh air, sunshine and exercise.
Anyone else got any plans/been already?
Probably gonna do a family downhill trip later in the year, but it's like herding cats agreeing on a date...
Flights booked to Salzburg 19th March, leaving accommodation till nearer the time but somewhere in Ski Amade region.

Highly likely we will re-book where we were going in 2020 until hotel had to cancel our booking 24 hours before departure when Austria shut down all hotels.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Flights booked to Salzburg 19th March, leaving accommodation till nearer the time but somewhere in Ski Amade region.

Highly likely we will re-book where we were going in 2020 until hotel had to cancel our booking 24 hours before departure when Austria shut down all hotels.
Have done a couple of trips there in the last few years - stayed in St Johann (handy for the train from Salzburg, but needed a bus to the slopes) and Wagrain (handier for the skiing). Really enjoyed it - well kept extensive pistes, nice restaurants and very efficient lifts (with heated seats). Enjoy!

D

Deleted member 3432

Have done a couple of trips there in the last few years - stayed in St Johann (handy for the train from Salzburg, but needed a bus to the slopes) and Wagrain (handier for the skiing). Really enjoyed it - well kept extensive pistes, nice restaurants and very efficient lifts (with heated seats). Enjoy!

We are planning on staying in Alpendorf up above St Johann to next to the lifts as its going to be my sons 1st ski trip and wanting to make life easy.

Skiied extensively in the Ski Amade region over the last 10 years or so, Gasteins, Zauchensee and Hochkonig areas particular favourites with honourable mention to the others.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Haven’t been for a few years since the kids came along and opted for summer holidays rather than skiing. Now they’ve almost flown the nest it’s something I want to get back into.

Have many happy memories of Alpe D’Huez, Meribel, Serre Chevalier, Sestriere and many other resorts. Great trips, all of them.

yandabrown

Visit site
Having had last 2 canned when we were supposed to going to Austria, really looking forward to 8 full days of skiing in La Tania in early March.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never been skiing although I probably would have enjoyed it in my younger days. Too late now as my knees would just not be able to take the hammering.
Just watching Ski Sunday and the speed those guys do is absolutely mental. Balls of steel.

D

Deleted member 1147

I have never been skiing although I probably would have enjoyed it in my younger days. Too late now as my knees would just not be able to take the hammering.
Just watching Ski Sunday and the speed those guys do is absolutely mental. Balls of steel.
Same here, but replace knees with back

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Apartment in Spain is only just over two hours from Granada, and the ski slopes. One of our neighbours wants to go skiing next year, and was wondering if it is like riding a bike.i.e you never forget. Used to go skiing every year for about ten years, but not been for 30 years. If so the Jean- Claude Killy of the slopes could be back.:LOL:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Apartment in Spain is only just over two hours from Granada, and the ski slopes. One of our neighbours wants to go skiing next year, and was wondering if it is like riding a bike.i.e you never forget. Used to go skiing every year for about ten years, but not been for 30 years. If so the Jean- Claude Killy of the slopes could be back.:LOL:

More likely to be like falling off a bike! But I ask myself the same question having not been for a dozen years - went every year for the twenty before that and got pretty good.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
More likely to be like falling off a bike! But I ask myself the same question having not been for a dozen years - went every year for the twenty before that and got pretty good.
Depending on standard, I reckon you'd be fine. I'm moderately competent, and it only generally takes me a run or two to get it back.
That does depend on general fitness, moving parts and weight being about the same as it was before though...

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went every year with a group for about 10 years, but then everyone started having families and the numbers dropped. Would love to go again and still have the gear in the loft.

Best resorts I went to were Schladming in Austria, although expensive, and Bormio in Italy. Loved Italy, very friendly people and great food. If went again that is where I would head to.
Get you butt out there, love Italy, great food and drink and fantastic skiing. Best throw the kit in the loft away though.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Like the golfers said lessons young man.