Any tips or drills for gettin the left hip back and out of the way?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the subject says I need to get my left hip back and out of the way during my swing.

My head is telling me I have to do it.

My teaching pro is telling me I have to do it.

And even when I feel like I've done it, the video in the teaching suite tells that I'm not.

Swing wise I'm happy and my teaching pro is telling me I'm striking the ball well, yet the one thing I've not been able to do is move my left hip. It feels like it's being held in place by some kind of invisible force, as stupid as that will read.

It's probably 80 or 90% mental and something I just need to get right in my head, but if there are any tips or drills that can help me start to move my hip please let know.

It's not spoiling my game, I would just like to keep the learning progression going so I can keep on improving.

Regards
Dave

a good drill is to narrow your stance and pull your left foot back about a foot (right foot if your a lefty) and hit mid iron shots with a half swing, this promotes clearing the left hip easily and a good drill to work on to get it into your muscle memory. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Its something that I recently introduced in to my swing and I went to the range and concentrated on nothing else but that move for shot after shot, without worrying about how well I was hitting and as it got to be a natural part of the swing good strikes became the norm. After a while it became ingrained and now, after about 4 weeks, I no longer think about it during the swing

It sure as hell improves the strike and straightness and probably has gained a club length so everything is looking good

Good luck with it

Chris

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Try the chair drill :)

Not sure what that is, I'll google it but not sure how sitting down will help my left hip clear :rolleyes:

If you use a covered range with mats and there's a chair handy, place it as shown below.

CIMG0758.jpg

then turn inside the chair and avoid knocking it over

CIMG0761.jpg

This will help you get a better turn with the hips