Any plans for the next 5 months

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Nice work!!

What are your plans to get there? I love the theory side to training etc, I have my 18 week training block which starts in Feb all mapped out already!! I am currently in training, for the training!! hehe!

I've joined a running club, now that I've got some distance in my legs. They do speed and strength training sessions so will start on those and just ask for advice.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Do you know if Garmin Coach allows you to put in time specific goals? I did a charity 10k last weekend in just over an hour with very little training. My first goal is a sub 30 minute 5k (did 31 minutes during the 10k) and then a sub 1 hour 10k.

I've got no idea tbh, but you can set a pace target on a garmin watch, for instance as I was getting back into it, I setup a 11minute to 12 minute mile as my pace.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Places were awarded 2 weeks ago dude. So if you dont know now, you aint in!! (Unless you have applied for a charity place) I have tried 9 times in the general ballot and failed every time.

I got in this year, 7th or 8th time of asking.

I’ve done about 3 runs in 10 years. What have I let myself in for?!

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice simple plan for me. Just wake up on the right side of the turf every day. Anything else is just a bonus.

que sera, sera

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Membership has been cancelled as the next 6 months are hectic. Between rebuilding my swing back to v2014, trying to drop 3 stone, improving strength in a blown knee and a wedding the golf will be range and lessons only with maybe one game a month if it’s dry ish.

It’s the first in twelve years that I’ve had no interest in winter golf

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try and find a diet that means I don't feel crappy most days.

What are your goals?

Try to think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Mindset is key, focus on what you can have, not what you can't (or are restricted on)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are your goals?

Try to think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Mindset is key, focus on what you can have, not what you can't (or are restricted on)

I like that mentality. (y)

I'm trying to get something that I can eat in the mornings to set me up for the rest of the day - get the energy back. Bread is a no-no (although GF sourdough I've recently discovered is proving not bad so far), as well as dairy and seemingly fruit - all irritate and/or ferment!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like that mentality. (y)

I'm trying to get something that I can eat in the mornings to set me up for the rest of the day - get the energy back. Bread is a no-no (although GF sourdough I've recently discovered is proving not bad so far), as well as dairy and seemingly fruit - all irritate and/or ferment!

You wont go wrong with eggs.

If bread is a no, is there any form of tortilla wrap that can work that are GF? you can get sweet potato wraps (expensive)

My breakfast 6 days a week is a home made granola. But i use Quinoa as the core, and i mix with full fat greek yog (proper, not style) But you could always use a non dairy yog/milk.

My treat breakfast is overnight oats with chocolate soy milk, protein powder and peanut butter

Smoothies? homemade so you can control the sugar.

I also use meal replacement shakes, i get mine from Protien Works and thats my actual breakfast! I have one about 5:30am, then eat my "breakfast" around 9...

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thats amazing, so have you started training yet? you don't have long!!

Managed 3 runs in a week, and got a full 5k in twice, although not particularly quickly!! Mind is amazing when you have something to strive for.

Plan is to just run a lot between now and Xmas within current lifestyle. And then go fully all in on 16 week plan. Giving up the food/drink for that time will be toughest for me

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Managed 3 runs in a week, and got a full 5k in twice, although not particularly quickly!! Mind is amazing when you have something to strive for.

Plan is to just run a lot between now and Xmas within current lifestyle. And then go fully all in on 16 week plan. Giving up the food/drink for that time will be toughest for me

If you want any help, advice or someone to speak to, do shout. I am not a PT but have learned a bit... and i could talk all day about training, plans, nutrition etc!!

My freebie advice now, dont go and do too much too fast, Your long run should not increase by much more than 10% per week. Ideally, you should build for 3 weeks, then have an easy week, then back up again. Plan plan plan, get a routine set, I run 6 days currenty, tuesday hills, wed easy, Thu sprints, fri easy, sat fast short and sunday long slow run. So for example though, your weekly long run plan should go like this

wk1 long run 5k
Wk2 6k
wk3 7k
wk4 5k
wk5 8k
wk6 10k

Longest training run you will need is 20 miles, you could do 22, but no more, and this should be 6 weeks before, maybe 4 weeks...

Get your diet right, look at protien shakes for post-run, get a foam roller for self-massage and consider regular sports massages too.

Dropping the booze was the best thing i ever did, you dont have to give up any foods though!! Just get a good balanced diet, plenty of good carbs and protein (sweet potato, wholemeal pasta, chicken, fish)

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
If you want any help, advice or someone to speak to, do shout. I am not a PT but have learned a bit... and i could talk all day about training, plans, nutrition etc!!

My freebie advice now, dont go and do too much too fast, Your long run should not increase by much more than 10% per week. Ideally, you should build for 3 weeks, then have an easy week, then back up again. Plan plan plan, get a routine set, I run 6 days currenty, tuesday hills, wed easy, Thu sprints, fri easy, sat fast short and sunday long slow run. So for example though, your weekly long run plan should go like this

wk1 long run 5k
Wk2 6k
wk3 7k
wk4 5k
wk5 8k
wk6 10k

Longest training run you will need is 20 miles, you could do 22, but no more, and this should be 6 weeks before, maybe 4 weeks...

Get your diet right, look at protien shakes for post-run, get a foam roller for self-massage and consider regular sports massages too.

Dropping the booze was the best thing i ever did, you dont have to give up any foods though!! Just get a good balanced diet, plenty of good carbs and protein (sweet potato, wholemeal pasta, chicken, fish)

Hi mate, do you listen to any decent podcasts, that have talked about strength and speed training at all please?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Getting two extensions built - one bigger, one smaller…but two nonetheless. And at same time dealing with a pile of difficult family stuff (the stuff is difficult not the family ?)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Immediate plan is now to get my knee in some semblance of order so I can accomplish my plan in post #4 for the next 5 months....

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi mate, do you listen to any decent podcasts, that have talked about strength and speed training at all please?

Im not a podcast listener i am afraid. I have tried in the past,

Mature Muscle
The Food for Fitness
then just triathlon specific ones, but like i say, i prefer music, i cant seem to be able to listen to a pod and do anything else!!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice work!!

What are your plans to get there? I love the theory side to training etc, I have my 18 week training block which starts in Feb all mapped out already!! I am currently in training, for the training!! hehe!

My training for training is going well. managed a decent milestone of sub 40-minute 10k last weekend at a race! Super chuffed with that. Now for a sub 19 minute parkrun, then i can focus on a sub 90 minute half marathon in February, then start my Ultramarathon block.