Any plans for the next 5 months

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flat has been completely rewired, replumbed and the Painter is in at the moment.
Bathroom getting tiled top to bottom on Wednesday.
It's been a bit of a slog the last 3 months but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
About 6k over budget though, which isn't too handy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My mate has bought a work flat in Peterhead and it's in the same position. Needs completely stripped back. All the savings he made on the purchase price are about to go up in a puff of smoke.

And he wants to rope me in to it (as well as wanting a couple of bits of custom furniture made!)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My mate has bought a work flat in Peterhead and it's in the same position. Needs completely stripped back. All the savings he made on the purchase price are about to go up in a puff of smoke.

And he wants to rope me in to it (as well as wanting a couple of bits of custom furniture made!)

Mmm, are you doing it as a freebie, at mates rates or on a professional, business level? Taking on what sounds to be a fair bit of work could cause a little friction. I did a handmade kitchen refit for friends. Fitting it around work AND me time saw the odd, “can’t you do this evening/weekend” comment. A couple of hours/half a day for mates, no problem. Big projects, not for me unless the terms/timeframe are agreed.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mmm, are you doing it as a freebie, at mates rates or on a professional, business level? Taking on what sounds to be a fair bit of work could cause a little friction. I did a handmade kitchen refit for friends. Fitting it around work AND me time saw the odd, “can’t you do this evening/weekend” comment. A couple of hours/half a day for mates, no problem. Big projects, not for me unless the terms/timeframe are agreed.

I doubt there is much that could cause a level of uncomfortable friction between us, there's been much more over the last 40 years that hasn't caused any. And I mean A LOT :D

If he wants the dining table and console table done, as hinted at, then it would be at materials only cost. It would fit in as part of my business schedule but on the basis that it will be "done when it's done" as paid orders will take priority.

As for the helping out with the reno... he'll get one or two weekends of my time to help. Unless he comes back to an earlier idea of having me build his kitchen units, then it would be zero weekends as I would need the workshop to do that.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt there is much that could cause a level of uncomfortable friction between us, there's been much more over the last 40 years that hasn't caused any. And I mean A LOT :D

If he wants the dining table and console table done, as hinted at, then it would be at materials only cost. It would fit in as part of my business schedule but on the basis that it will be "done when it's done" as paid orders will take priority.

As for the helping out with the reno... he'll get one or two weekends of my time to help. Unless he comes back to an earlier idea of having me build his kitchen units, then it would be zero weekends as I would need the workshop to do that.
He's very lucky to have a mate like you! 👍

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's very lucky to have a mate like you! 👍

Very kind of you, I think though that between myself, him and his brother we are very lucky to have each other as we all have different skills that we use to help each other.

His brother is a machine man (JCBs etc) and came to dig out the garden for the new workshop pad in probably a quarter of the time that I could and with a degree of accuracy around neighbouring fences and telegraph poles that was like art in motion.

I feel very lucky to have them as like family (we grew up living next door to each other).

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very kind of you, I think though that between myself, him and his brother we are very lucky to have each other as we all have different skills that we use to help each other.

His brother is a machine man (JCBs etc) and came to dig out the garden for the new workshop pad in probably a quarter of the time that I could and with a degree of accuracy around neighbouring fences and telegraph poles that was like art in motion.

I feel very lucky to have them as like family (we grew up living next door to each other).
It's great to hear stories like that, especially in these sometimes troubled times.
Long may it continue. 👍

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

I’ve found it difficult as I don’t really know the tradesmen here, I’ve went on recommendations etc.
I’m also wanting everything A1, which can sometimes be a problem, I’ve not been enamoured by the standard so far and they aren’t cheap.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve found it difficult as I don’t really know the tradesmen here, I’ve went on recommendations etc.
I’m also wanting everything A1, which can sometimes be a problem, I’ve not been enamoured by the standard so far and they aren’t cheap.

He's in the same boat. So it's going to be a case that everything bar gas will be self done (his cousin is a sparky so will do the re-wire). He's got the capability to do the stuff like reboarding the walls, new flooring, fitting the kitchen etc. It's just some more finicky and detailed stuff that he wants me to help with.

But speaking to him earlier, it sounds like he wants a coffee table instead of a dining table and wants me to build the kitchen cabinets in my shop so that they can be proper custom built.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
He's in the same boat. So it's going to be a case that everything bar gas will be self done (his cousin is a sparky so will do the re-wire). He's got the capability to do the stuff like reboarding the walls, new flooring, fitting the kitchen etc. It's just some more finicky and detailed stuff that he wants me to help with.

But speaking to him earlier, it sounds like he wants a coffee table instead of a dining table and wants me to build the kitchen cabinets in my shop so that they can be proper custom built.

That’s some effort for a work flat 😂😂

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Eastleigh 10k Race

Went into the weekend of a bad club run on the Thursday, so wasn't feeling confident. This race is a big one, elite athlete's enter as it's a quick route with just one small hill.

I wanted to get under 52 minutes with a stretched target of under 50 minutes. I managed to stay on the coat tails of the 50 minute pacers and found some energy from somewhere for the last quarter of a mile.
Chip time of 49:17, still can't believe I managed to get under 50 minutes. Was buzzing all day yesterday :D
Thats Mega Simon, well done mate!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s some effort for a work flat 😂😂

What can I say... he wants to polish this turd :ROFLMAO:

Nah, he got the place really cheap because it was in disrepair (by that I mean "total sheet hole"). But he is in danger of going nuts in the reno and a cheap flat becoming an expensive one.

But there is some method in the madness for the kitchen. It's an odd shape and so to make best use some cabinets would be best being sizes that aren't really available. For me to build them using oak veneered 18mm plywood the total materials would only cost about £1k. He does want solid oak doors (which I am trying to convince him not to) but then if he does I get to crack out my shiny new raised panel door cutting set :D.

If he goes that route then the total kitchen materials would be about £2.5k plus my time charge, but would still be way below the £6k cost he has been quoted (not fitted) to get the same dimensioned cabinets. And he knows my construction methods would be of good quality (not saying the £6k ones wouldn't be, but they'd also almost certainly be MDF carcasses).

Jason.H

Visit site
Hoping to play Conwy when I'm in N. Wales over Easter - do report back how it's playing :)

Was a very testing round today. I’ve not played much links golf and todays wind was brutal. The standbag had to be laid down. One downside I forgot to bring long irons. The hybrids into the wind took off like a jet fighter. On a plus note my driver was on form. Plenty of run on the ball compared to where I’m a member. The greens are great though I found the difficult to read.
A +6 78 in those conditions I’m happy with 👌

Jason.H

Visit site
Played Conwy several times, and started with 3 consecutive birdies last time. The last 4 holes crucified me. Love the place but you have to respect the last e holes. 3 bogeys and a par are good enough.

I get you about the final holes😂😂😂
Thankfully my driver was magnificent today. Such a difference from the front 9. I bet some great cards have gone to the wall in those last few holes.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I get you about the final holes😂😂😂
Thankfully my driver was magnificent today. Such a difference from the front 9. I bet some great cards have gone to the wall in those last few holes.
Was a very testing round today. I’ve not played much links golf and todays wind was brutal. The standbag had to be laid down. One downside I forgot to bring long irons. The hybrids into the wind took off like a jet fighter. On a plus note my driver was on form. Plenty of run on the ball compared to where I’m a member. The greens are great though I found the difficult to read.

Thanks - hopefully I can arrange a game up there in a few weeks when I'm on my hols.
I'll put the GAPR Mid 3-iron in the bag :)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Southampton Half Marathon

my first and maybe last half marathon, was aiming for under 2 hours. Started with a friend and we agreed to go if we felt comfortable.

Ended with 1:52:47 for the half. Finished and must have looked like Grobbelaar spaghetti legs walking to the T-shirts and water 😂

Translated:

I'm gonna enter London marathon ballot for next year.

Well done again mate!! Smashed it!!!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Was windy for me also, 79 for me!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My training for training is going well. managed a decent milestone of sub 40-minute 10k last weekend at a race! Super chuffed with that. Now for a sub 19 minute parkrun, then i can focus on a sub 90 minute half marathon in February, then start my Ultramarathon block.

First training Ultra was completed last weekend, 52km trails and I came 13th out of 400 in 4:52. Got another trail marathon tomorrow, so should be fun on tired legs!

50 days to go to my 100km race.