(Another) Should I join a different club thread.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know there are a lot of these threads, but please bare with me as I would value any opinions given.

My current club is ok. (my 1st ever golf club) & is only 10 mins form home.
The course is a reasonably tight & tricky par 70 which plays exceptionally well throughout the year, we rarely have temporary s or close, (if we do, it means everywhere else is totally flooded)
The members are a great bunch & I have some good friends there.
That is the good bits.

The bad bits are that the course does lack a bit of character & is without any signature holes or fairway bunkers.
Also, the clubhouse is very poor & as such it lacks atmosphere, as people tend to play golf, have a quick drink & go home.
The fee's are due on 1st April & I expect them to be around £850.00

I live in a big city, with plenty of choice regarding golf courses / clubs, but in reality my choice is limited by the horrendous daily traffic congestion we have to suffer. (I don't want to spend an hour or more sitting in traffic to go golfing)
So it comes down to the choice of around 6 courses / clubs including my own.
I ruled out 5 as I either don't like the course or it's a corporate type course with too many societies trampling all over it.

The one I like is an extra 10 minutes travel time from home (extra 6 miles in distance)
It is a lovely course / club, really interesting to play with some testing holes.
The clubhouse is fantastic, with plenty of social functions going on.
They are a turn up & play course Mon - Thurs, & a internet booking system on Fri, Sat, Sun (8 days in advance)
My current club is a turn up & play only (comp bookings on Sat's)
The other really cool thing I like about this club is that they have really nailed it as far as the diary is concerned, it looks as though they run comps right though the year & they are all published on the diary page, on the internet. (I like playing in comps)
The only downer, is that I hear that it gets very boggy in winter?
Which is a bit odd, seeing that they have a full calendar of events right through the winter?
The other thing that bothers me, is I have been told that they use temporaries in the frost (my current club doesn't)
The course is a Par 72 & I can join it for around £100 more than my current club.
I am thinking that the only way I will know for sure, is to play it a few times during the winter & see how it plays, with maybe a view to joining it in the Spring if it plays ok?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am thinking that the only way I will know for sure, is to play it a few times during the winter & see how it plays, with maybe a view to joining it in the Spring if it plays ok?

^
This.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sounds like you've given it plenty of thought and arrived at a sensible approach. By playing a few rounds between now & subs-due you'll see the prospective course at its worst and will be able to decide from there

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you know anybody there? If not just roll up one day and see if you can have a game with some members as they should be able to give you the lowdown on how the course plays during the winter months.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The new one is drawing you in. Sounds better. Does the enjoyment of golf in the winter outweigh the benefits of the better course, clubhouse etc for 8-9 months of the year when drainage is not an issue? I moved from a links course with the problems you mention to a parkland course a few years ago. At times it gets too wet to play, open but not fun, so I just leave golf alone for a few weeks. Not a big deal for me and the enjoyment I get for the rest of the year makes up for it.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the memberships are equally as sociable......then for me it depends on how much better the course is at the new place is. I'd rather play at a really nice course that goes on temps a few days of the year that a dull one that doesn't. Just my opinion though.

Fancy naming the clubs? you will probably get some honest GM forum opinions . . . .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Travelling the extra distance would not be a factor in any way shape or form.

our clubhouse is not the best, but homely.

The course did it for me. Yup it is boggy now/ in winter. But only where you should not be on the course (off the fairway).

one thing that you did not mention is practice areas/ driving range and club shop.

both small factors but the course was my primary consideration.

As has been said before play the course over the winter when it is at its worst. Let us know what you decide.👍