Another Mass Shooting in the US

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yet nothing will change. Some of the right-wing Republican supporters I know are already posting comments about having more guns and armed police at all schools.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only person that needs a machine assault rifle is a soldier.
Until that changes nothing will.
You can’t buy a drink in the US until your 21.
But you can have a killing machine at 18.
Mass demos have failed and the NRA wield to much power.
80% of citizens want change according to ITV .
Until they change how politics is funded this will never change.
sad day for the families of all those kids and teachers but totally predictable it won’t be the last.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cannot comprehend what the hell possesses someone to take an AR into a school and open fire on helpless children.

Cowardly behavior.

I also just dont understand Americans need for guns.. I accept some level of firearm may be needed for farmers etc and indeed police as they need the protection if the average joe could be carrying a weapon - but thats it. Why does anyone need an Assault rifle?

Swango1980

Visit site
Would be interesting if, for all those parents who want tighter gun control, decided to take their kids out of school on mass, for their own safety. Would such a mass movement force the governments hand?

Sometimes feels to me that every school needs airport type security.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Jacinda Ardern had the right idea
''We don't want to take all your guns, just the ones that are designed to kill people on mass''.
The NRA are the problem.

From above....
NRA Contributions to GOP Senators
Mitt Romney (UT) $13,647,676
Richard Burr (NC) $6,987,380
Roy Blunt (MO) $4,555,722
Thom Tillis (NC) $4,421,333
Cory Gardner (CO) $3,939,199
Marco Rubio (FL)$3,303,355
Joni Ernst (IA) $3,124,773
Rob Portman (OH) $3,063,327

Why can't the US billionaires get together and outbid the NRA donations to the politicians?
Pay the politicians more to stop/limit the sale of guns, money talks.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You can just cut and paste all of the comments from the US (and worldwide) commentators and save them for the next shooting that is almost certainly around the corner. The American's are so set on upholding the 2nd amendment that the lives of school children are a price worth paying. Sad state of affairs.

Ive just read that school shootings now account for more child deaths than car accidents in America...

But there isnt a problem!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ive just read that school shootings now account for more child deaths than car accidents in America...

But there isnt a problem!

Yep, sounds about right. Any (civilized) country that forces their school children to routinely rehearse what to do if a gunman enters their classroom really needs to take a look at themselves.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Nothing changes unless something changes.

Biden said "When are we going to stand up against the gun lobby?"

Someone needs to remind him of his current occupation. Not withstanding the make up of the Senate and Congress, he needs to take a stronger stand. Oratory after a massacre is pointless.

Swango1980

Visit site
Nothing changes unless something changes.

Biden said "When are we going to stand up against the gun lobby?"

Someone needs to remind him of his current occupation. Not withstanding the make up of the Senate and Congress, he needs to take a stronger stand. Oratory after a massacre is pointless.

I'm pretty sure Biden is fully aware of the problem. I think his words were directed towards the American public and the supporters of the gun lobby. A rhetorical question, to try and make Americans question their own values and attitudes. I think if it was that easy for any American president to change gun laws in the US, it would have been done long ago? Surely there has been one president out there that has wanted change, and been in no worse position than Biden?

Question needs to be asked, what would happen if Biden DID implement changes (if that were even possible)? How would Americans react, especially those that love their guns? Would it cause unrest on the streets? Would the Democrats lose support? Would the next President reverse everything Biden changed?

It is difficult to see how things can change, unless there is overwhelming support by the American people. Every time I see debates on it, it seems pretty divided. I always struggle to understand why this is the case. Can you imagine our government were to suddenly propose a law where we could all own guns, and make them widely available to the public. Personally, I would be shocked and would be straight down to the polling office to ensure that government is booted out of power.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It is difficult to see how things can change, unless there is overwhelming support by the American people. Every time I see debates on it, it seems pretty divided. I always struggle to understand why this is the case. Can you imagine our government were to suddenly propose a law where we could all own guns, and make them widely available to the public. Personally, I would be shocked and would be straight down to the polling office to ensure that government is booted out of power.

I think this is probably the crux of it, I don't really see it as a political problem as much as a societal one. There have been 27 school shootings this year alone.....that's in just 5 months and yet that doesn't appear to be enough to get anything changed. It needs the people to do it yet as you point out, there seem to be just as many people who are keen to keep their guns as there are those who want to see them banned.

What makes me laugh are all the comments saying that if guns were made illegal how would people protect their children from a school shooting if members of the public weren't armed yet how often have we read the headline "School shooter shot before they massacre a load of children". It's just never happened so having the general population armed just doesn't do anything to protect anyone in the main. I think the stat is that you're generally more likely to be shot by your own gun than you are by someone else.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think I saw something saying it was the 144th day in 2022…..and the 212th mass shooting.

just wrong on so many levels

Swango1980

Visit site
Think I saw something saying it was the 144th day in 2022…..and the 212th mass shooting.

just wrong on so many levels
Yeah, the Senator who spoke out against it yesterday suggested there are more mass shootings in the US than there are days in the year. But, on the flip side, I am sure there are thousands of bad guys killed every year by gun wielding citizens. Well, that is if one believes it is safer to have guns than not have them.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another day, another mass shooting in the good old US of A. The pro gun lobby will helpfully offer their "thoughts and prayers" to the families of the victims, but will continue to believe that regular mass shootings of children are a price worth paying for their "right to bear arms."

This is of course a country that went crazy when Janet Jackson flashed a nipple on TV a few years back and where it's illegal to sell Kinder Surprise Eggs but perfectly legal to sell semi-automatic guns.

It appears that no tragedy is big enough to change things.

Cannot comprehend what the hell possesses someone to take an AR into a school and open fire on helpless children.

Mental illness surely? The difference is that in most countries, the worst that someone with mental illness can do is threaten to jump off a bridge over the motorway and hold up the traffic for a few hours. In America, they can spray bullets into a crowd of children.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just can't get my head around it, and I have 3 nieces and nephews at elementary school in California. This might (read hope) be the straw that sees the family return to the UK. For all the positives of living in the US, the gun laws/culture in the US scares the bejeebus out of me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The power of lobbiests in the US is scary. The NRA, Tobacco, Pharmaceuticals all paying to push through policies that are inherently worse for the population as a whole. Sadly nothing will change without wholsale reforms.