Another DIY question

V

vkurup

One of the doors of the kitchen cabinets has fallen off. It's an old kitchen and as you can see from the pic - The hinges have come off the chipboard carcass. Any ideas how I can reattach the door as I can't move the position of hinge. Are wood fillers any good on chipboard? The door is heavily used as it is the under sink bin door

IMG_0262.jpg

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
No more nails the loose chipboard back.. Leave to dry 24 hrs. Sand it smooth use some quick dry poly filla if necessary , re attach hinge.

You could also consider putting some wall plugs into the repair for the hinge screws to attach into for extra purchase. Set these in with a bit of no more nails as well.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Clear the loose out, some No More Nails or Araldite into the hole and then jam it full of matchsticks, having run the ends in the glue. Leave to set, cut off level and you've effectively created your own chipboard.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Clear the loose out, some No More Nails or Araldite into the hole and then jam it full of matchsticks, having run the ends in the glue. Leave to set, cut off level and you've effectively created your own chipboard.

Be careful with this option, it can be lethal and we dont want dead bodies lying all round the place stinking the place out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7l1QAe_es

:D;)

V

vkurup

Move home.
That's a bit OTT.
A new kitchen would be sufficient

:thup:

No more nails the loose chipboard back.. Leave to dry 24 hrs. Sand it smooth use some quick dry poly filla if necessary , re attach hinge.
You could also consider putting some wall plugs into the repair for the hinge screws to attach into for extra purchase. Set these in with a bit of no more nails as well.

Not sure that 'No more nails' would work.. since they would have very little to grip to... I did think of using plugs et al... but loved I think gregers idea is the long term solution

think there called hinge plates.they go under the hinge and you screw it into the door further up.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=k...=rwnoV9u7B4nBgAaQ2JbIBw#imgrc=M8WgSbF7qZWKYM:

:cheers: This might have hit the nail on the head..

Like it, just one mod ,.. our issue is on the cabinet side rather than the door.. so I just ordered the other side of it here..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Hinge...it-Cupboard-Door-White-Cream-ZP-/140618910573

Will update the post once i get them this week.

gregers

Head Pro
Visit site
mine was just an example,as im sure you didnt tell us which side had gone??
but if they do 1 side they will do the other as you have found out.
dont foret you may have to readjust the hinge/door toe in/out and height once you have carried out the repair so the door matches others in the area.

V

vkurup

No more nails is glue and it sticks to just about anything including chipboard.

I know.. but the surface area under the hinge that comes into contact with the chipboard is fairly slim, so i doubt it will hold on to usual wear and tear