Annual handicap review question

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played in 11. I'd guess rickg would have played in 50+. I think that's the point fundy was making.
69 actually Gary!! :eek: 12 of those have been Nov/Dec when conditions have been atrocious and why I have gone from 5.4 to 6.4.

I know a few players who wouldn't have bothered and would still be playing CAT 1 golf, whereas I have always played come rain, shine, wind, snow and frost......if the course is open and there is a qualifier on, then I'm in it. .....usually resulting in a 0.1 increase for my troubles.

Some think I'm mad to do this, and others applaud that my handicap is genuine and not protected.......I'm still not sure which camp is right.....:confused:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
69 actually Gary!! :eek: 12 of those have been Nov/Dec when conditions have been atrocious and why I have gone from 5.4 to 6.4.

I know a few players who wouldn't have bothered and would still be playing CAT 1 golf, whereas I have always played come rain, shine, wind, snow and frost......if the course is open and there is a qualifier on, then I'm in it. .....usually resulting in a 0.1 increase for my troubles.

Some think I'm mad to do this, and others applaud that my handicap is genuine and not protected.......I'm still not sure which camp is right.....:confused:

I was actually going to guess at 75 but thought I'd be safer saying something lower and adding the + :)

I'd say its makes your handicap more accurate to keep playing, but only more accurate relative to the general conditions for the time of year. The guys that don't play for fear of going up aren't suddenly a shot better than you, so they're losing out just to protect their vanity and/or ego.

Fair play to you mate. I just don't want to get wet. I don't care what my handicap does, but then we don't have lots of qualifiers through the winter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If they include Buffer scores as having played to your handicap then they're probably about right at 1/3rd..
I played 11, 1 was Reductions only, 1 buffered 3 times and didn't 6 times.......

The fact that Rosie says above that 8 buffers or better in 12 and he'd cut more shows that really you play to your handicap if you make buffer - as far as CONGU are concerned anyway.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know, but I would have expected the 4 rounds to fall into the average qualifying season.

It could also be due to who did the cutting and the relationship the cutter has with who was cut.

The guy who won our singles put cards in for cuts during general play at weekends when Std Scratch would be known.
The hcap/comp sec didn't cut him. Until he had to play him in the singles then he cut him by 3 shots.

Most general play cards are ignore at present with the supplementary system of declaring a qualifying round prior to playing good or bad its recorded on your h/cap record, rather than playing out of your skin and then claiming a cut.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Most general play cards are ignore at present with the supplementary system of declaring a qualifying round prior to playing good or bad its recorded on your h/cap record, rather than playing out of your skin and then claiming a cut.

The guy in question had 3 general play cards over 2 weeks which showed he was playing significantly better than he managed in competition. But I know what you mean.

I thought it quite honest of him especially as he was in the early stages of singles knock out and still wanted the extra cut and went on go win it.
I know plenty of others who would not be so up front.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just looked at my results for last season

Played 17 qualifiers

4 times under par ( twice level with CSS )

6 Other games inside buffer

7 games over buffer

Unsure if our club uses (acts on) annual reviews system....??

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our club are not so good at keeping qualifiers going as long as possible so 25 is pretty much the best you can do on Saturday golf. There is open week which could add acouple to that but oustide these there is no chance of qualifiers unless I go to other clubs open days (usually links), which I did with the likes of Portsalon this year after our season had officially ended.
I actually play more golf off season strangely.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That used to be the case but Congu now reckon about 33% of comps is the norm

What counts is the proportion of buffers or better, not an absolute number - and the target varies according to your handicap. i.e. Cat 1 players are expected to play near to handicap on more occasions than Cat 4 players.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What counts is the proportion of buffers or better, not an absolute number - and the target varies according to your handicap. i.e. Cat 1 players are expected to play near to handicap on more occasions than Cat 4 players.

It was just something that I am sure I read in a Congu book a year or two back as being a rough rule o thumb compared to the old " four rounds a year" thinking

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was just something that I am sure I read in a Congu book a year or two back as being a rough rule o thumb compared to the old " four rounds a year" thinking

Yes - the old memory cells are not dying as quickly as you fear. In the 2008-2011 CONGU manual, they quoted that Cat 1 players were expected to play to SSS +2 between 37% and 68% of the time and Cat 3 players were expected to do the same between 16% and 30% of the time.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just looked at my qualifiers for 2012:

Entered 18
Reduction = 2
Buffer = 9
0.1 back = 7

So that's 61% buffer or better, admittedly the laat 6 were at 33% with no reductions though.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes - the old memory cells are not dying as quickly as you fear. In the 2008-2011 CONGU manual, they quoted that Cat 1 players were expected to play to SSS +2 between 37% and 68% of the time and Cat 3 players were expected to do the same between 16% and 30% of the time.

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not completely going senile Rose!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a h/cap expert but it seems the explanation of the calculations behind the computer programme that identifies players who should be considered for an adjustment at annual review is here.

http://www.congu.com/faqs/old_site/Review of Handicaps.pdf

In seems consideration of an adjustment is triggered by the variation over the year from what a player of a particular handicap should score on average (the target) relative to what they actually scored.

The guide says a one shot reduction could be justified if ACTUAL - TARGET < minus 3. If I interpret that correctly it seems your average has to be at least 3 shots better than it ought to be based on the model in order to justify a cut.

I did a bit of maths and it didn't seem that a cut was justified on the scores recorded but given that it is complex and my maths isn't great even with the help of excel you might not want to trust that. The computer should automatically flag up the candidates.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does a cut for him sound right looking at that?

You have had the answer from Rosecott, although the reference to being harsher might have confused things!

IMO the annual review software would have flagged this for a -1 adjustment, based on the % scores in buffer or better ie consistency v peer group.

The question then becomes whether there is a good reason for the handicap committee not to apply the reduction - an example of this would have been if the player had had a playing handicap reduction at the end of the period, but that doesn't apply here.

The next question is whether the recommendation is enough (rosecott's gambit :lol:) and whilst I agree with rosecott that this percentage does look strong, there's nothing on that record sheet, or the additional information supplied in your post, to suggest a case for further reduction. The playing reduction of 1 during the season providing the reassurance element to that decision for me. It's at this point that committees should be most interested in a player's performance in NQ Open events, BB etc (more so than club knockouts, as they tend to provide the biggest indicator of handicap manipulation).

-1 applied - big tick.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to put a bit of flesh on the debate (well a big bit of flesh really), I have just run our AR report for our handicap committee meeting next week. There is only 1 reduction recommendation for Cat 3 players and that is me! My playing record is 106 qualifiers with 41 buffer or better - recommendation is -1 reduction.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just had a look at my scores last season, Played 15, Buffer or better 9, shame my club don't do AR. Great thread gents, very informative, thanks

If they operate Congu handicapping the annual review is amust, as far as I can recall, you should ask