Annual handicap review question

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to put a bit of flesh on the debate (well a big bit of flesh really), I have just run our AR report for our handicap committee meeting next week. There is only 1 reduction recommendation for Cat 3 players and that is me! My playing record is 106 qualifiers with 41 buffer or better - recommendation is -1 reduction.

Does this not in itself raise questions to the accuracy of the system? You have played 106 qualifiers (ie more than 2 a week) yet at the end of it your handicap still needs adjusting

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does this not in itself raise questions to the accuracy of the system? You have played 106 qualifiers (ie more than 2 a week) yet at the end of it your handicap still needs adjusting

it's a good point, but you don't carry it far enough.

the 'system' includes the Annual Review process, which in turn analyses exactly such performance criteria, and acts on them.

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
Spot on, you can only be cut into cat1 with the sanction of the County

Most counties are very, very strict about that. They often refuse to adjust up or down under valid circumstances. Their attitude is let the golf do the talking. If you're that bad, you'll go up over time, if you're that good you'll come down.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do that every year Rick.... ready for Summer :whistle:

Summer started early mate....;) .true to form, weather was foul today but I still decided to enter the weekly medal....I was on 6.4 so decided on a kill or cure tactic.......it worked and I shot a 4 over gross round for a 0.4 cut.......probably the best I have ever played given the awful conditions and was very disappointed when the CSS didn't go up for a bigger cut. I hate small fields.......3 out of the 7 were CAT 4 so didn't count and Apart from one of the CAT 4's I was the only other person to beat handicap.

One of the other CAT 2's buffered courtesy of a stableford adjustment......

Will have to content myself with just 0.4 back.........1st cut of 2013......bring it on!! :thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I entered 12 comps this season, 9 at Bearwood Lakes, 1 each at Remedy Oak, The Oxfordshire and The Belfry Brabazon.

Had 7 x 0.1 back, 4 buffers and 1 reduction.

The 4 buffers and the reduction were all in a row. Ended up 0.4 lower than the start of the season.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I wouldn't have cut him. His form suggests he will put in a decent round that will lead to a cut any way. I'd rather let him have the joy of a decent (individual) win, and then let the computer do its job. Its not as though he's embarrassed the comps/handicap committee.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If they operate Congu handicapping the annual review is amust, as far as I can recall, you should ask

Chrisd, Can't even get my away scores input, i've spoken to the match/hcap gent about it and he just shrugged and gave me a look, it's not that he can't be bothered i think it's lack of knowledge regarding the system, i appreciate it's a tough job definately not a job for a Mon-Fri 0900-1700 man unless he's no home life and likes to spend hours at the club, i have offered to assist him as i've done the job before, but he seems reluctant, i don't want his post, i've learned my lesson, just want to help the guy get up to speed.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

it's a good point, but you don't carry it far enough.

the 'system' includes the Annual Review process, which in turn analyses exactly such performance criteria, and acts on them.

Rosie plays 106 qualifiers and still needs a shot cut at the AR - why? His handicap must be one of the most accurate going. If he was a Bandit, aftificially keeping the handicap high, the AR wouldn't pick him up but because he's not, the "system" says he needs cutting further........I swear, some of these "systems" seem to be in place to justify CONGU having another meeting with refeshments and Petit-fours

Someone honest puts in 100+ cards but gets cut more, Joe Bandit keeps his handicap high and doesn't....what message is that sending?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rosie plays 106 qualifiers and still needs a shot cut at the AR - why? His handicap must be one of the most accurate going. If he was a Bandit, aftificially keeping the handicap high, the AR wouldn't pick him up but because he's not, the "system" says he needs cutting further........I swear, some of these "systems" seem to be in place to justify CONGU having another meeting with refeshments and Petit-fours

Someone honest puts in 100+ cards but gets cut more, Joe Bandit keeps his handicap high and doesn't....what message is that sending?

where did 'bandit' come up?

when dealing with the large numbers involved in such systems you are always going to have the dualitiy of the expected profile of the handicap group (output) and the methadoloy of the process to turn your input groups (players and scores) into this.

you could programme the system to handle it on the go by delivering small adjustments for repetitive buffer scores, or introduce tiered buffer functions, but the added complexity wouldn't make sense. an 18 handicap golfer who plays to his buffer that often matches the profile of a 17 handicapper - it's not complicated.