Animal Do Do.....free droppings or what?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've seen a Local Rule covering this.

If no LR, then tough s--t! :rolleyes:

Rats. Rosie/Rose/Rosecott beat me to it!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
OK I have another one!

Do you get a free drop if your ball lands in animal faeces (sheep or cow ****), either on the fairway or in the rough? :mmm:

Cheeky git.

if you had looked on the score card it states as a local rule "relief from animal droppings"

If it was just on a course, for instance Tain gets loads of sheep escaping from the local farmers fields. no free drop. Brora... free drop. ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tough s--t!

Wrong!

If the club has a local rule, its a free drop.

Brora golf club is a proper links course and still allows local farmers to graze cattle and sheep on the course. At times the place is covered in the stuff.

Its always worth checking the scorecard for local rules, that might allow relief that you would get from other courses.

For instance, Tain has a road crossing the fist fairway that has a local rule.

Moray, RAF landing lights on the course.

Nairn Lots of gravel footpaths for green staff.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apart from these places where there is a local rule, the only relief is to the animal that dumped it in the first place. Droppings are loose impediments (how loose depends on the animal and what it has been eating). Rabbits and sheep are ok, horses are rather too productive and cows are horrendous. You can clear around your ball and leave it teed up on a neat wee pile of the stuff and have a blast. Fellow golfers are advised to stand well clear. Otherwise you may decide for the sake of hygiene the ball is unplayable and if you are that fastidious leave the ball where it is and substitute another one.

By the way I'd be interested in what these local rules about roads, gravel paths and landing lights are.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Apart from these places where there is a local rule, the only relief is to the animal that dumped it in the first place. Droppings are loose impediments (how loose depends on the animal and what it has been eating). Rabbits and sheep are ok, horses are rather too productive and cows are horrendous. You can clear around your ball and leave it teed up on a neat wee pile of the stuff and have a blast. Fellow golfers are advised to stand well clear. Otherwise you may decide for the sake of hygiene the ball is unplayable and if you are that fastidious leave the ball where it is and substitute another one.

By the way I'd be interested in what these local rules about roads, gravel paths and landing lights are.

The landing lights is a just a free drop and they must be on 6 or 7 holes. imovable obstructions?

The paths at Nairn used to be part of the course now, a free drop and you are not allowed to play it as it lies (H&S) ;)

Tain was just a free drop as far back as you liked, now only as far back as you have a fee swing, as the road has a fence.

The place with the farm animal poo also has electric fences around all the greens which again is a free drop back if your swing is interfd with.

Last edited:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we used to get flocks of canadian geese invade the course and they constantly dropped what looked like alsatian crap all over the place,no relief the only concession was on the greens were you had a small pooper scooper device to pick it up and deposit it in a box,come home many a time with it on my pants after playing a long iron shot.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
we used to get flocks of canadian geese invade the course and they constantly dropped what looked like alsatian crap all over the place,no relief the only concession was on the greens were you had a small pooper scooper device to pick it up and deposit it in a box,come home many a time with it on my pants after playing a long iron shot.

We have those geese, and loads of rabbits but at least they have tiny poo.
but a cow pat ?? !!!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
we used to get flocks of Canadian geese invade the course and they constantly dropped what looked like Alsatian crap all over the place,no relief the only concession was on the greens were you had a small pooper scooper device to pick it up and deposit it in a box,come home many a time with it on my pants after playing a long iron shot.

They must do big do-dos then? Oh and no such dog as an "Alsatian". Its a German Shepard. Was only called an Alsatian for a time after the 2nd world war. As people would not have anything with German in the name.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the local rules, Patrick.

I have found the Brora local rules online and find that animal droppings are defined as casual water :eek: What do they feed their sheep on up there?

I also notice that "seeded scrapes" are GUR which is dodgy as Committees have not been allowed to give relief from seeded divot holes since January 2010.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheeky git.

if you had looked on the score card it states as a local rule "relief from animal droppings"

If it was just on a course, for instance Tain gets loads of sheep escaping from the local farmers fields. no free drop. Brora... free drop. ;)

Please dont get upset about this.....i do know that was the rule at Brora but i was mined of a situation at Forest of Arden where they have all sorts of animals all over the place but mainly geese and deer.
Anyway the aproach to the greens on the front 9 were covered in geese doo which made it very tricky indeed but there was nothing on the card....my playing partners all had different views as to free drops etc so in the end I just ended up playing it as it lay.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If the greenkeepers work overtime to clear the mess do they get time and a turd?

I will get my coat !

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having fallen victim of a large dog turd on a course I had to take unplayable. On realising the ball was plugged I left it and walked on choosing to take a blank at the hole. No-one should have to make a decision about playing from dog turds. Espeacially with no real handwashing facitities around and the risks associated with them.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No. As I said above, unless there is a local rule, animal droppings are loose impediments. The Definition of a loose impediment specifically mentions dung.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the local rules, Patrick.

I have found the Brora local rules online and find that animal droppings are defined as casual water :eek: What do they feed their sheep on up there?

I also notice that "seeded scrapes" are GUR which is dodgy as Committees have not been allowed to give relief from seeded divot holes since January 2010.

sheep, not really a problem, it 's the cows!!!

I as to what they are fed, thats easy they don't feed them anything they are eating the rough;)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're welcome, Bladeplayer.

Cows I remember well, Patrick. There is something particularly off-putting about find your nice white ball splatted into a large fresh cow pat. I paid a nostalgic return visit to Machrihanish and Dunaverty in Kintyre in May. Machrihanish no longer has animals grazing though it did when I was a youngster. Dunaverty still has cows on the first 5 holes and electric fences but I managed to avoid both. I love the Brora local rule telling us that electric fences should not be moved. As if!