Status of a butterfly on a green

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a funny one one the other day a butterfly collided with my ball in motion on a putting green deflecting it.

Now the definition is

Animal
Any living member of the animal kingdom (other than humans), including mammals,
birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates (such as worms, insects, spiders and
crustaceans).

However the new rules have changed what happens when the ball hits an insect on a green

Rule 11.1b Ball in Motion Accidentally Hits Person or Outside

Rule 11.1b(2) has been amended to provide that if a ball played from the putting
green hits an insect, the player or the club used to make the stroke, the ball is played
as it lies – the stroke is not replayed.

Is a butterfly an insect?

Should the shot be replayed or not?

Action on the day - I played 2 balls and scored the same with both.

wjemather

Visit site
I had a funny one one the other day a butterfly collided with my ball in motion on a putting green deflecting it.

Now the definition is

Animal
birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates (such as worms, insects, spiders and
crustaceans).

However the new rules have changed what happens when the ball hits an insect on a green

Rule 11.1b(2) has been amended to provide that if a ball played from the putting
green hits an insect, the player or the club used to make the stroke, the ball is played

Yes, butterflies are insects. It should be noted that the rule is not limited to insects; the definition of loose impediment states "worms, insects and similar animals that can be removed easily".
(Assuming the ball was played from the putting green) no, the stroke is not replayed and the ball is played as it lies.

Swango1980

Visit site

Now the definition is

Animal
crustaceans).

I always assumed humans were animals. The Oxford dictionary definition of animal doesn't seemed to rule them out of the definition. Not that this ultimately relates to the rules question of course, which has already been answered :)

tobybarker

Visit site
I always assumed humans were animals. The Oxford dictionary definition of animal doesn't seemed to rule them out of the definition. Not that this ultimately relates to the rules question of course, which has already been answered :)
Millwall supporters are animals, but not necessarily human.