And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1740

Very impressed with City under Pep. They are looking very good although I wonder if they'll fluff their CL lines again. Wonder what will happen to Hart? No-one seems that keen. Has he baggage attached or just silly wages

I dont think he's as good as people make him out to be, and his wages are extremely high.

Whoever takes a punt on him will get a decent chunk of his wages paid for them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I dont think he's as good as people make him out to be, and his wages are extremely high.

Whoever takes a punt on him will get a decent chunk of his wages paid for them.

I'm with you on how good he is, and certainly capable of dropping some clangers. It's funny though how the national #1 is unwanted across Europe. Can it be all down to the wages, even if they are subsidised

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm with you on how good he is, and certainly capable of dropping some clangers. It's funny though how the national #1 is unwanted across Europe. Can it be all down to the wages, even if they are subsidised
Is he England's number 1 just because of the club he plays for?

He's a bang average keeper,that's why no big clubs are showing any interest.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's better than average, come on. He is a very good keeper on inflated wages. Not a top 4 keeper but certainly top half of the league. At the moment however the PL has either very good keepers or clubs who are not willing to pay his wages. Either City or Hart will have to compromise, maybe both.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is he England's number 1 just because of the club he plays for?

He's a bang average keeper,that's why no big clubs are showing any interest.

Exactly. Butland is a massively better keeper and I'm not just saying that as a Stoke supporter.

It was like most of Woy's choices. Who you played for was more important than how good you were. See Wilshire selection ahead of Drinkwater for the Euros as an example.

It will be interesting to see if he stays in the Prem.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He's better than average, come on. He is a very good keeper on inflated wages. Not a top 4 keeper but certainly top half of the league. At the moment however the PL has either very good keepers or clubs who are not willing to pay his wages. Either City or Hart will have to compromise, maybe both.

So he's not a top 4 keeper,but he's not a bottom of the table keeper.
So maybe mid table,which would make him average.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mmmmmmmm. Okay we are into definitions. I don't consider top half of the PL as a definition of average players but I see if you are looking at average within the PL then your definition is correct. To me though he is far better than average.

Incidentally I agree that Butland is the best English keeper at the moment but I would still have Hart as number 2.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Exactly. Butland is a massively better keeper and I'm not just saying that as a Stoke supporter.

It was like most of Woy's choices. Who you played for was more important than how good you were. See Wilshire selection ahead of Drinkwater for the Euros as an example.

It will be interesting to see if he stays in the Prem.

Tbf it wasn't only Hodgeson that did this.
If you play for(even squad players) certain teams you seem to get a call up.
As soon as you move on to a lesser team you don't get a look in,even if you're then a regular starter.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Mmmmmmmm. Okay we are into definitions. I don't consider top half of the PL as a definition of average players but I see if you are looking at average within the PL then your definition is correct. To me though he is far better than average.

Incidentally I agree that Butland is the best English keeper at the moment but I would still have Hart as number 2.

Yes I was talking Prem quality.
He's no De Gea,Courtois or Cech.
But he's certainly no Mignolet either

D

Deleted member 16999

He made his debut when he was at Birmingham after being U21 and U23 Keeper. So the big Club argument really doesn't hold up.
Whether he is the best English keeper is debatable, the bigger question is lack of quality English keepers,
The PL probably has 6-7 of the worlds top 10 keepers.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He made his debut when he was at Birmingham after being U21 and U23 Keeper. So the big Club argument really doesn't hold up.
Whether he is the best English keeper is debatable, the bigger question is lack of quality English keepers,
The PL probably has 6-7 of the worlds top 10 keepers.

So he'd have kept his place as No1 if he was still at Birmingham?

D

Deleted member 16999

So why doesn't the big club argument stand up?
He may have made his debut whilst at Birmingham,but was he England's established No1?
James and Robinson were the established keepers at the time and it was his performances with Birmingham that got him into the first team, City were not the big club then it was 4 years before they won the PL.

D

Deleted member 16999

Surprised, but pleased to see Barkley not in the England squad, struggled last season, has started this season well, but only 3 games in, plenty of time to prove big sam right or wrong.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
James and Robinson were the established keepers at the time and it was his performances with Birmingham that got him into the first team, City were not the big club then it was 4 years before they won the PL.

You sure it was 4 years? When did he return from Birmingham & when did City win their 1st Prem title?
His performances with Birmingham may have got him a call up to the squad & a few appearances as sub in a few friendly games.
But we were talking established No1👍🏻

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Well me, young Bradley Tash and Missis T are back. That first half at City was the best football I have ever seen. Poor West Ham were chasing shadows. However mr Bilic certainly earned his money at half time coz that second half performance was good very good. For 20-25 mins it was squeaky bum time as a city fan. Sterling is looking a totally differant player this year as is John Stones, he will be massive for City and England for the next 10 yrs. Sterling and stones look immense under Pep.

However without stating the obvious Joe Hart has been found out. On his day Joe has been Brilliant, on other days poor, very poor. Playing behind a dodgy back four last year highlighted that. His distribution since he came to City has been woeful, and the term squeaky bum time applied to Joe every game. Do you blame him or the goalkeeping coaches at City. At times he could not take a goal kick without it going into rowZ. It is obvious he has never played a game of five a side in his life where distribution from a keeper is paramount. Watching him on weds v Steau Bucharest and watching Willy today. The gulf between them is massive.

cannot understand Joes stance, City want him out, they have been honest with him, they will pay most of his wages, he has chance of a high standard of football, but not yet taken it. If he does not pull his finger out, his no1 spot as England goalie will be gone, and he struggle to get it back.

Dont get me started on that waste of space YaYa.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just after your general opinion buddy, seems a great buy so far. no malice meant

Ok, sorry, read it the wrong way. My honest opinion is that, on his day, he will take entire defences to pieces. His pace is outrageous, he hits 0-full tilt in about three paces and if he keeps the ball at his feet there isn't a player in the league that can stay with him. HOWEVER, when he's off, he's worse than bad. Remeber Ali Dia? Worse than him. Positional sense goes out the window, falls over a lot, usually the ball or his own feet, struggles to find a team mate 4 ft away, he is dreadful. This seems to happen most either when playing 'poor' teams, or particularly on cold december/january evening games. Oh, and he doesn't try and get back from the ACON in a hurry.
If Klopp can keep his head in the former then you've got a gem for a snip, if he can't you've had your pants properly pulled down.

Status
Not open for further replies.