And, we’re off.......2018/2019

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agreed. Wrong club at the wrong time. I think he was Fergies last signing. So Moyes inherited him and by all accounts he was homesick and then there is a lot of talk that his choice of girlfriend may have put the managers back up......

Since he moved back he lives in a pretty ‘poor’ area of Croydon considering his wealth, but does so to be close to family and friends, so I do think at his young age back then a move to Manchester was not ideal.

I can get how moving away to a different area and a big club with a reputation to uphold can be hard to adapt to. However back at Palace I don't think he's lived up to his ability and agree that he does look ungainly and leggy. However if he can get it right and fire goals for Palace then his stock and reputation will rise again.

D

Deleted member 15344

Didn't a similar thing happen to Ryan Giggs when Howard Wilkinson was involved. Something about not being good enough, so he chose Wales

Giggs couldn’t play for England - he was born in Wales to Welsh parents

D

Deleted member 18588

Giggs couldn’t play for England - he was born in Wales to Welsh parents

Absolutely spot on.

Many seem to think he could have played for England since he played for England Schools but the only necessary qualification for that was to attend a school in England.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed. Wrong club at the wrong time. I think he was Fergies last signing. So Moyes inherited him and by all accounts he was homesick and then there is a lot of talk that his choice of girlfriend may have put the managers back up......

Since he moved back he lives in a pretty ‘poor’ area of Croydon considering his wealth, but does so to be close to family and friends, so I do think at his young age back then a move to Manchester was not ideal.

:thup: He's in my fantasy league..... at least until next Friday afternoon.:D

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen that Inter have signed Sime Vrsaljko - adding him to their already impressive list of signings which also includes Radja Nainggolan, Stefan De Vrij, Lautaro Martinez and Kwadwo Asamoah. They've picked them all up for less than £55m as well. Very good business.

Also reading that Everton have agreed a £28.5m fee with Barca for Yerry Mina. Really hope we get that one done early this week.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen that Inter have signed Sime Vrsaljko - adding him to their already impressive list of signings which also includes Radja Nainggolan, Stefan De Vrij, Lautaro Martinez and Kwadwo Asamoah. They've picked them all up for less than £55m as well. Very good business.

Also reading that Everton have agreed a £28.5m fee with Barca for Yerry Mina. Really hope we get that one done early this week.
Yeah Inter have strengthened well. It's a shame they're only playing for 2nd in Italy really. I've seen them linked to Modric as well which would be outrageous.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I totally share Swingalot's views. Like him I've seen Zaha play loads, and hes amazing. Since he's added scoring to his repertoire I don't care how much we turn down for him.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I totally share Swingalot's views. Like him I've seen Zaha play loads, and hes amazing. Since he's added scoring to his repertoire I don't care how much we turn down for him.

Unfortunately every club has a price that they'll buckle to, so, if a club really want's him, lets say Chelsea, where he would easily agree personal terms, especially not having to uproot himself to anywhere, then he'll be let go!

Not many clubs will stand fast, unless they are contenders to a degree who can't afford to loose a key player, that's why I think he will go eventually, possibly at the last minute for a big figure, and that money could benefit Palace more than just holding onto a player who doesn't have the quality around him to push Palace much higher than their average finish, so, let him go and use the money wisely to build and bring in more players to strengthen your squad rather than having 1 player who might end up feeling he's being held back and could go on to greater things being surrounded by better quality?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately every club has a price that they'll buckle to, so, if a club really want's him, lets say Chelsea, where he would easily agree personal terms, especially not having to uproot himself to anywhere, then he'll be let go!

Not many clubs will stand fast, unless they are contenders to a degree who can't afford to loose a key player, that's why I think he will go eventually, possibly at the last minute for a big figure, and that money could benefit Palace more than just holding onto a player who doesn't have the quality around him to push Palace much higher than their average finish, so, let him go and use the money wisely to build and bring in more players to strengthen your squad rather than having 1 player who might end up feeling he's being held back and could go on to greater things being surrounded by better quality?

I agree entirely Robin, except that I think with some of the big clubs he'd be a luxury and won't get regular game time. He's known at Selhurst to revel in being the top player, wants lots of games and as much of the ball as possible. If he decides to go to Chelsea then so be it, but I just feel that whatever sum of money we get we won't tempt a person who can turn a game in an instant like he can to come in as we aren't a big enough club to attract top players.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....urtois-attempts-force-chelsea-exit-going/amp/

People on social media are suggesting that Courtois has gone AWOL to force through the move to leave Chelsea - that’s never good news

Remember when players used to force moves to join Chelsea , that’s the second player now after Costa.

Will Hazard be the next with Wilian it appears willing to sign a new contract at Chelsea

Courtois family is over there, it was always evident to me he had made his mind up but he isn’t, or shouldn’t be in control of the situation as he’s still under contract, for what that’s worth anymore I don’t know!

I’d do 1 of 2 things, get as much as we can for him now quickly so we can be as ready as possible for the start of the season and have a settled squad and dressing room, or make an example of him, fine him as much as possible, refuse his move and stick him on the bench but still go and get his replacement.

Player rule has to be stamped out, forcing a move whilst under contract makes a mockery of the said contract and sends out all the wrong signals.

No player should be bigger than the club or game.

D

Deleted member 1740

Courtois family is over there, it was always evident to me he had made his mind up but he isn’t, or shouldn’t be in control of the situation as he’s still under contract, for what that’s worth anymore I don’t know!

I’d do 1 of 2 things, get as much as we can for him now quickly so we can be as ready as possible for the start of the season and have a settled squad and dressing room, or make an example of him, fine him as much as possible, refuse his move and stick him on the bench but still go and get his replacement.

Player rule has to be stamped out, forcing a move whilst under contract makes a mockery of the said contract and sends out all the wrong signals.

No player should be bigger than the club or game.

Spot on, but whilst we have ex players and the likes of Jim White on sky and other media outlets encouraging players to "force" the move then players will always get what they want eventually.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Suppose the big story today is Stanley making a bid to buy Arsenal outright 👍

This would be an absolute disaster for Arsenal. He can then compulsory purchase the remaining shares from the AST and de-list from the stock exchange. Re-list in Denver, leverage all the money he has just spent back onto Arsenal, and the club will be massively in debt forever.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ramsey to Chelsea? A good player when fit, but how often is that? Would be interesting to see how he plays under a more rigid system than Wengers Arsenal. I would still keep him if possible, but not at 300k per week.