And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eh? Zaha has said himself he had already decided not to represent England BEFORE Southgate was made full time manager of England.
Hmm, yeah I was gonna say that. I thought the choice was all his own.

Anyway, I didn't say he was a bad player, but I don't think calling him wasteful and greedy is unjustified. I think he's the sort of player who thrives in a smaller club as they rely on him for most of their attacking output, but may struggle at a bigger club where you're required to be more of a team player (unless you're utterly world class of course).

Here's a stat for you - of all Premier League players last season, one player was head and shoulders above the others for number of times dispossessed per game. The same player was top of the charts at losing the ball through a bad touch as well. Given the context you can guess who it is. :D (source: WhoScored.com)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then we can enjoy for at least another season the finest footballer who has ever played for our club and he can continue to rip the living daylights out of defenders for another season.
Whoa steady on. Better than Chunky Pardew? Better than Andy 'give us another pen' Johnson? Bold statement.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree, he is wasteful and greedy (and a diver, cheat, troublemaker, lazy etc etc which I’ve all heard recently). I would stay well clear of him if I was a ‘big’ club. Then we can enjoy for at least another season the finest footballer who has ever played for our club and he can continue to rip the living daylights out of defenders for another season.

Woah there, what about the great Stevie Kember and Big Jim Cannon?

D

Deleted member 15344

Barcelona selling Paulinho and then bringing in Vidal is a steal - they just need him to stay injury free - they have made some very good signings , the two Brazilians are very good and well priced

Meyer going to Palace is a strange one because for months everyone has apparently offered him a contract but rumoured that he was asking for lots of money hence loads walked away - thought he priced himself out of a big move

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
An injury prone alcoholic with an attitude problem, great signing. He's marginally better than Paulinho, or at least he was 3 years ago, not sure anymore. Barca fans are not happy on Social Media and I don't really blame them. They wanted an Iniesta replacement and they've got Vidal.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally agree, he is wasteful and greedy (and a diver, cheat, troublemaker, lazy etc etc which I’ve all heard recently). I would stay well clear of him if I was a ‘big’ club. Then we can enjoy for at least another season the finest footballer who has ever played for our club and he can continue to rip the living daylights out of defenders for another season.

I have to laugh at the pundits / experts who like to have a dig at Zaha. Recently On TS they were comparing Hazards work rate to Zaha and saying that is why Wilf would not make it at Chelsea as he does not track back. What a load of crap. Wilf works very hard every week tracking back and is strong when it comes to winning the ball back etc.

I’m sure when he does move to a big club (hopefully never) all of a sudden everyone will change their tune when they realise just how good he is and also how much of a huge mistake it was for Southgate (a rare blot on his recent cv) to keep him out of the England frame.

I wanted him this summer, think I would like him as a back up for Salah and Mane, although Mane had a great 1st season with us he wasnt as good for 6 months of last season, although really finished the last 3 months back to his best. Zaha could maybe even displace him. Zaha would still get 30-40 games in anyway.

I just think he went to Man U a little too early.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Further on this, I notice that we were linked with Wilfred Zaha, whose now linked with Chelsea. Personally much as I like him I think he should stay at Palace, where with respect he is a big fish in a small pond.
He'll be wasted at both other clubs and won't get enough game time

I’m not sure that’s the case anymore, Sarri is playing and loving some of our younger stars and has already openly stated a few of them will step up and play. I think he’s going to break the mold and I can see at least 3 younger players featuring a lot this season, such as;
Callum Hudson - Odoi,
Ethan Ampadu
Tammy Abraham
Factor in the senior players and I think we’re going to be more of a handful than people are giving us credit for.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wanted him this summer, think I would like him as a back up for Salah and Mane, although Mane had a great 1st season with us he wasnt as good for 6 months of last season, although really finished the last 3 months back to his best. Zaha could maybe even displace him. Zaha would still get 30-40 games in anyway.

And got a little too acquainted to the bosses daughter..........

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure that’s the case anymore, Sarri is playing and loving some of our younger stars and has already openly stated a few of them will step up and play. I think he’s going to break the mold and I can see at least 3 younger players featuring a lot this season, such as;
Callum Hudson - Odoi,
Ethan Ampadu
Tammy Abraham
Factor in the senior players and I think we’re going to be more of a handful than people are giving us credit for.

Fitness will be the biggest key the aggressive press can be so effective as seen in pre season at times but a 50 game PL season will need times to modify maybe?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice tattoo......

Ynwa. :rofl:

"It's not about football, when I was 3 or 4 years old on my first day of school my parents gave me a necklace with these words and after I got them tattooed," said the former Barcelona full-back.

"But maybe it's because the Liverpool fans are angry that I said two times 'no' to Liverpool. I'm blue."

D

Deleted member 16999

Nice tattoo......

Ynwa. :rofl:
Whatever it means he’s got heads wobbling all over social media, I’m sure Jamie Carragher can point him in the right direction of a good tattoo removal guy. :rofl:

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Eh? Zaha has said himself he had already decided not to represent England BEFORE Southgate was made full time manager of England.

Southgate had a chance to persuade him to pick Englsnd when in temp charge, he has gone on record saying it’s not his job to persuade people to pick England.

That sounds a fair comment, until you consider how poorly treated Zaha was in regards his early England career and therefore how he might need the manager to have a word.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whoa steady on. Better than Chunky Pardew? Better than Andy 'give us another pen' Johnson? Bold statement.

Ha ha. I could name a few better than those guys, but yes we are not one of the big boys so don’t have a ‘hall of fame’ like others. The positive of that is we do not get the press and pundits over rating our players and turning a large % of our support into deluded arrogant idiots.

D

Deleted member 15344

How did England mistreat Zaha ?

Agree with Southgate - he shouldn’t have to beg people to play for England , they should be begging him to pick them

Anytime I have seen him he looks all legs , doesn’t seem to have the ball under very good close control , certainly got a lot of pace but think he is a bit like Downing - will no doubt thrive at a smaller club but just not got enough quality to shine in a big club

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Agreed. Wrong club at the wrong time. I think he was Fergies last signing. So Moyes inherited him and by all accounts he was homesick and then there is a lot of talk that his choice of girlfriend may have put the managers back up......

Since he moved back he lives in a pretty ‘poor’ area of Croydon considering his wealth, but does so to be close to family and friends, so I do think at his young age back then a move to Manchester was not ideal.