And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

Let's put it into perspective - the City, Liverpool and Spurs lads are all coming off very long seasons, especially if you include the World Cup last summer - a number of those who would arguably have started were on the bench last night or missing; in addition you had the likes of Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi out through injury.

Walker IMO will be the first to make way - TAA and even Trippier are in my mind better in that right back position. Rice is a fine footballer and the more games he gets - particularly at international level - the better he will get. Delph - a good player at club level but out of his depth at international level.

No doubt the Red Scouse Mafia will disagree(!) but I don't see Henderson as a starter for England. Whilst I thought he did well when he came on, and there's no doubting his leadership qualities, he takes too many touches on the ball for my preferred option in CM and dictating the play and tempo when playing out from the back. If the system needs to change though during the game then he is a good option from the bench if need be.

But all in all, when everyone is fit, Southgate actually has a pretty decent squad to choose from; and certainly exciting from an attacking perspective (including the young City lad Foden in that as I think he'll get more game time under Pep next season).

In regards Henderson I think it all depends on how he is deployed - if it’s as a sitting Centre mid then it’s not his best role even if it’s one he can but if as with Liverpool over the last couple of months you put him in as a number 8 role with more license to go forward and support you get a different Henderson and one that was outstanding against Barcelona.

But to do that even if it is someone like RLC at the 8 role you need to have trust in the DM and two CB’s comfortable

Have Gomez and ANO at CB then you need to find a solid DM - is that Rice ? Against us he looked very good but needs to ensure he strict in his role - that then leaves you a number 8 and a number 10 role to fill - Henderson and RLC would be perfect for that role and then Maddison and Foden the future at the creative 10 role. That would look a very midfield and players in roles they are comfy with.

When you then add in two guys at fullbacks willing to bomb forward - wide attackers who roam - it’s tactics that both City and Liverpool use successfully

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone watching the women's World Cup that starts today? I don't like women's football myself, but willing to give it another bash and see what it's now like.
I'll be watching the England games, I've made a note of when they are. First one is Sunday night against Scotland, should be a walk in the park. In all honesty the standard of women's football isn't high enough for me to watch the other games as a neutral though. It doesn't quite hold my attention. But it's not as bad as people make out either, it very much depends on who's playing really. The difference in quality between the best and the worst sides in this world cup will be enormous.

As for the men's side, I didn't bother watching last night as I knew it would be a bust and I couldn't force myself to care about the 'Nation's League', the glorified friendly cup. But on a general note, we can only work with what we have, and currently what we have is a paucity of good centre backs or good creative midfielders. They're just not out there. I think if Winks ever gets a solid run of fitness I would like to see him in there, as he has energy and good passing. Loftus-Cheek should be a starter when fit as well, and Rice looks like the long term holding player I think. Options are thin after that though. Barkley is poor, decent ability but no brain whatsoever. Delph I don't mind, but I would have more faith if he moved clubs to somewhere where he can actually play football matches in midfield. And he dives in WAY too much.

Joe Gomez should be walking into that side at the back now easily, and based on last season Alexander-Arnold has edged his way into starting for me. I've never rated Stones, he's exactly the sort of 'modern defender' I hate, yes he can pass it around nicely, but he quite simply can't defend. We have the Argentinian version at Spurs, he's called Juan Foyth. Same player. Maguire is alright but has far too much confidence in his own ability on the ball.

D

Deleted member 16999

Chelsea appeal lodged with CAS, next step will be to see if transfer ban is frozen until case is heard.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My view wasn’t based just on one game , Pickford is a very good shot stopper , just like David James was or Mignolet for example but these guys are below the standard needed at the top level - maybe right now it’s the best England can get but if say De Gea left Utd would they go looking for Pickford ? I don’t think so - and out of the mid level keepers within the England set up - Pope , Heaton , Pickford and Butland - Heaton or Pope imo are the better ones.
Please tell me the English keeper who is good enough to replace De Gea?? We're not blessed with options - I don't think Pickford is a good keeper but I'm also not sure there's another one out there who's definitely better. Unfortunately we are waiting for someone to step up. I'm dying for Pope to move somewhere where he can get games, he looked excellent the season before last. But you can't say he's currently better when he hasn't played for over a year now. Heaton is too old so Southgate won't go with him as number one.

D

Deleted member 1418

In regards Henderson I think it all depends on how he is deployed - if it’s as a sitting Centre mid then it’s not his best role even if it’s one he can but if as with Liverpool over the last couple of months you put him in as a number 8 role with more license to go forward and support you get a different Henderson and one that was outstanding against Barcelona.

But to do that even if it is someone like RLC at the 8 role you need to have trust in the DM and two CB’s comfortable

Have Gomez and ANO at CB then you need to find a solid DM - is that Rice ? Against us he looked very good but needs to ensure he strict in his role - that then leaves you a number 8 and a number 10 role to fill - Henderson and RLC would be perfect for that role and then Maddison and Foden the future at the creative 10 role. That would look a very midfield and players in roles they are comfy with.

When you then add in two guys at fullbacks willing to bomb forward - wide attackers who roam - it’s tactics that both City and Liverpool use successfully

I would not have Henderson anywhere near the CM role, taking the ball off the defenders and moving it on quickly - like you said it's not his best role. I also believe that there are better options in a more advanced role too - nothing against him; just my opinion based on how I would like to see an England team set up from the start if the players are all fit and available.

But it all obviously depends on the opposition England are facing at the time; and Southgate having the courage (which I think he has) to change things around. For example in a WC or Euros qualifier, at home, against an opponent you know will be defensive, you don't need 4 at the back. You can put just 2 in there, with a more defensive CM player, and play with 2 wing backs high up the pitch - they could even be Sterling and Sancho if the opposition are that bad!!

However like I alluded to in one of my earlier posts, England have made significant progress over the last couple of years. If it wasn't for 2 awful lapses in concentration, and Lingard's right boot being half a size too big, we'd be playing Portugal on Sunday evening, despite playing not at our best!

D

Deleted member 16999

I’d have Henderson in the current England Xl, I believe his form warrants it and he’s another solid steady player who’ll do what the manager wants him from him.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d have Henderson in the current England Xl, I believe his form warrants it and he’s another solid steady player who’ll do what the manager wants him from him.
Isn’t that half the problem, players playing where the national manager wants them even if it’s square pegs in round holes? Gerrard and Lampard immediately spring to mind Then the players get slated for not playing like they do for their club because they are playing out of position.

D

Deleted member 16999

Isn’t that half the problem, players playing where the national manager wants them even if it’s square pegs in round holes? Gerrard and Lampard immediately spring to mind Then the players get slated for not playing like they do for their club because they are playing out of position.
That’s what International Managers are paid for and why they are judged on results.
I’d give the England job a go, but I’d doubt I’d get the call. ;)

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
He doesn’t watch England and it’s Pickford, so you’ve no chance of any credit.
Shocked the headlines today didn’t link Stones and Barkley as Ex-Everton players to apportion blame.
Oh yeah. Now that you mention it, it was Everton that caused the loss.

Bad Everton.

D

Deleted member 16999

Oh yeah. Now that you mention it, it was Everton that caused the loss.

Bad Everton.
I take it your Cricket team is doing sh!te with all this effort you’re putting in to the Football thread. ;)

D

Deleted member 1418

Just confirmed - Hazard signs for Real.

😭😭😭😭😭

D

Deleted member 1418

Just confirmed - Hazard signs for Real.

😭😭😭😭😭

Thanks for all the wonderful memories Eden. Goodbye, good luck and hopefully you'll be back at the Bridge soon for the adulation and a proper thank you for all you've done for Chelsea 👏👏