And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disappointing that. Two years ago, the Dutch were nowhere as a team and we were on the up. Tonight we were poor and disjointed and defended like Watford on a bad day. That’s saying something.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Disappointing that. Two years ago, the Dutch were nowhere as a team and we were on the up. Tonight we were poor and disjointed and defended like Watford on a bad day. That’s saying something.

Were we really though? We were the Wimbledon of that world cup and beat nobody of note.
Agree re the dutch improvement. Just don't think we were anywhere close to good 2 years ago.

U

User62651

I know he can do no wrong in some people's eyes but is Gareth Southgate really offering anything special to England? Good run last summer but which perhaps clouded his true ability considering the 3 defeats from the better sides and too much reliance on set plays for goals. Have England really progressed in the last year? Got to keep the ball in the heat, continental sides always seem to do that better, will that ever change?
Could be season end fatigue but Dutch lads could claim the same.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stupid trying to defend a 1 goal lead with so much of the game remaining only when it went to 1-1 did we start to play.

Rubbish midfield and ridiculous defending, never looked like winning, no use banging on about speed of our forwards when they don’t play well.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Were we really though? We were the Wimbledon of that world cup and beat nobody of note.
Agree re the dutch improvement. Just don't think we were anywhere close to good 2 years ago.

We were certainly better than two years before with all the long ball stuff we dished out. Iceland performance anyone? I think we’ve hit a glass ceiling. We need midfielders who can run the game and create the options and space....just like the Sky boys are saying right now.

D

Deleted member 16999

I know he can do no wrong in some people's eyes but is Gareth Southgate really offering anything special to England? Good run last summer but which perhaps clouded his true ability considering the 3 defeats from the better sides and too much reliance on set plays for goals. Have England really progressed in the last year? Got to keep the ball in the heat, continental sides always seem to do that better, will that ever change?
Could be season end fatigue but Dutch lads could claim the same.
He’s not doing badly though, I wasn’t a Southgate fan previously as I thought he played too safe, but you really can’t legislate for 2 howlers from supposed international footballers.
I’d rather take Southgate and a bit of hope than some of the numpties we’ve had recently.

D

Deleted member 1740

He’s not doing badly though, I wasn’t a Southgate fan previously as I thought he played too safe, but you really can’t legislate for 2 howlers from supposed international footballers.
I’d rather take Southgate and a bit of hope than some of the numpties we’ve had recently.

I hope you’re not calling Mr Hodgson a numpty🤭

D

Deleted member 16999

But as has been said, he picked a midfield that offer nothing, not making themselves available for the pass?

Obv the players take the brunt of it, but he persists with midfields with zero creativity.
Barkley made himself available for the pass from Stones that he then messed up and gave away the 3rd goal.:unsure:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Barkley made himself available for the pass from Stones that he then messed up and gave away the 3rd goal.:unsure:

True, but generally speaking you would expect a ball playing midfielder to be better in that position. The Barkley one is a simply down to a poor pass, i'd expect him and the midfield to still become available.
Stones was yet more bad decision making.

I see it as we have two main problems. A CB who had smoke blown up his backside as a youngster and now thinks he's Rio/Moore etc etc and a midfield that lacks players with the composure to take the ball.
Unfortunately i don't think the cb's are good enough all round hence why we play a defensive midfield to protect them, but that just brings the problem onto us.

D

Deleted member 16999

But as has been said, he picked a midfield that offer nothing, not making themselves available for the pass?

Obv the players take the brunt of it, but he persists with midfields with zero creativity.
I think you’re being a little bit unfair, he’s criticised for sticking with players and tonight he starts with Delph, Rice and Barkley in midfield with Sterling, Sancho and Rashford up front, plenty of youth and plenty of creative talent.
How many of those would start in a full strength England line-up, 1? Maybe 2?
He may of looked at this tournament as no more than a chance to try some different players and gain a bit of experience.
If anything it was the back 4 were we suffered most.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think you’re being a little bit unfair, he’s criticised for sticking with players and tonight he starts with Delph, Rice and Barkley in midfield with Sterling, Sancho and Rashford up front, plenty of youth and plenty of creative talent.
How many of those would start in a full strength England line-up, 1? Maybe 2?
He may of looked at this tournament as no more than a chance to try some different players and gain a bit of experience.
If anything it was the back 4 were we suffered most.
+

My only criticism is of the midfielders he always picks. Imo he will always pick two midfielders who will bock, chase and pass sideways. Be that Delph, Rice, Henderson or Dier.

The rest of his choices and options are fine, albeit i don't have faith in Stones, but injuries, tactics, whatever reason with give for any changes it's always the same. A bland midfield.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Barkley should have done a bit better IMO, he was very poor all evening, constantly looking for cheap fouls and dwelling on the ball too much. I sort of agree with your creativity comment however we never got the ball to those who can make a difference, we couldn't get over our half way line for most of the game due to a crap midfield.