And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the tactics went out the window after the pen.
I can understand the frustration from spurs fans as the handball rule is a joke .
But you can’t put your arms out like that and LT is right poor from sissoko.
It looks like he is pointing but there was only Mane facing him with plenty of cover behind him.
I think he was pointing at Trippier, and if you've seen Trips play this season you'll know he needs all the help he can get. :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not expecting him to run with his arms by his side but equally people don't run with an arm horizontally. He did something stupid, he got caught out. It was a penalty all day long.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watch Origi's goal again and look at what Toby is doing. That's what he feels he has to do to not fall foul of the law, and it is the very definition of unnatural! Ironic really. Also that isn't a change, it's already not deemed handball if your arm is by your side.

Organising your teammates akin to waving at pigeons. I guess we won't bother continuing the discussion then if you're not going to take it seriously. :rolleyes:
The pigeon analogy was to make a daft point, flapping arms. I'm just going into repeat now but if a ball is coming your way, don't hold your arms out horizontally. It is schoolboy stuff.

Reverse the situation, you would be shouting for a penalty all day long.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think he was pointing at Trippier, and if you've seen Trips play this season you'll know he needs all the help he can get. :ROFLMAO:
Yes I agree but Mane had cut back so there’s nobody for Trippier to worry about.
First thing in football is do your own job first then help others.
He was unlucky but that’s refs for you.
I have seen plenty of them not given.
Llorente is one off his thigh onto arm= goal.
Swing and roundabouts???

D

Deleted member 16999

The pigeon analogy was to make a daft point, flapping arms. I'm just going into repeat now but if a ball is coming your way, don't hold your arms out horizontally. It is schoolboy stuff.

Just one picture, Sissoko just entered the box, arm clearly pointing to team mates.
As I said previously it’s one of them that you scream for if it’s your team.
I just don’t get this not natural argument, if you are going to point something out then you do so in a certain natural way.
44CE0110-3541-4AFF-AFDF-03EAC3781D7C.jpeg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mane very cleverly scooped the ball up onto his arm.

You can see the sole of his boot on replays as be tries to get that ball up quick like playing a lob shot.

He could not believe his luck with sissoko standing there, arm way stretched out like an idiot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes but only because I know what the rules are. And don't make the mistake of watching the slow motion replay and thinking he had loads of time and was waving his arm about for an age. In real time it's just a quick point to the teammate and in that split second the cross was played and it hit him. He was terribly unlucky.

D

Deleted member 16999

Mane very cleverly scooped the ball up onto his arm.

You can see the sole of his boot on replays as be tries to get that ball up quick like playing a lob shot.

He could not believe his luck with sissoko standing there, arm way stretched out like an idiot.
Ha Ha, brilliant that’s the funniest post I’ve read, so it wasn’t poor from Sissoko, it was brilliance from Mane.
Hat’s off mate, you win.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just one picture, Sissoko just entered the box, arm clearly pointing to team mates.
I just don’t get this not natural argument, if you are going to point something out then you do so in a certain natural way.
View attachment 27438
I fail to see what he is pointing out though.
He’s pointing over the roof by the look of that picture.
Mane has cut back so who’s he pointing to.
Only Sissoko will know be interesting to find out.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ha Ha, brilliant that’s the funniest post I’ve read, so it wasn’t poor from Sissoko, it was brilliance from Mane.
Hat’s off mate, you win.

Where did I say it wasnt poor from sissoko. I said he had his arm stretched out like an idiot and mane took full advantage.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
View attachment 27438
I'm happy with that picture to prove the penalty decision was correct. Mane is right in front of him, Sissoko only has eyes for him, he knows Mane is about to cross. What the heck is anyone doing lifting their arm at that moment?. Trippier's arms are in a natural position, Vertonghen might be pointing with his right arm but he is far enough away to be able to react, Sissoko's left arm is in a natural position. His right arm is having a brain freeze

D

Deleted member 16999

I fail to see what he is pointing out though.
He’s pointing over the roof by the look of that picture.
Mane has cut back so who’s he pointing to.
He’s (I’m guessing as I’ve not spoke to him) probably warning the defenders to cover the back post or Salah.
The fact you see he is intentionally pointing to something rather than just sticking his arm out (unnaturally) is a start though.(y)

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm happy with that picture to prove the penalty decision was correct. Mane is right in front of him, Sissoko only has eyes for him, he knows Mane is about to cross. What the heck is anyone doing lifting their arm at that moment?. Trippier's arms are in a natural position, Vertonghen might be pointing with his right arm but he is far enough away to be able to react, Sissoko's left arm is in a natural position. His right arm is having a brain freeze
Were have I said it’s not a penalty! We all know why it was given, I thought this discussion was about the handball rule? The ball hit his chest and rebounded on to the top of his arm, all I am asking is how you determine if he raised his arm intentionally to block the ball (current rule) or that’s irrelevant (next years rule).

D

Deleted member 16999

That's worse than poor. Poor is mildly silly. What he did was beyond idiotic.
Then we’ll agree to disagree, I don’t see a player running back, trying to communicate with team mates about perceived danger as either poor or idiotic.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were have I said it’s not a penalty! We all know why it was given, I thought this discussion was about the handball rule? The ball hit his chest and rebounded on to the top of his arm, all I am asking is how you determine if he raised his arm intentionally to block the ball (current rule) or that’s irrelevant (next years rule).
I don't think you can judge if an arm was raised intentionally to block, perhaps ever unless it is on the goal line. The fact is he did raise his arm and it did block. I've seen it a few times this year, corner comes in defender jumps and has his arm up alongside his head or above it. The attacker heads it onto his arm, penalty was given. The defender may not have meant to block with his arm but it did. As a defender you have to think about what you are doing. Same as making slide tackles in the box, if you do it you increase the chances of a penalty being given.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't think you can judge if an arm was raised intentionally to block, perhaps ever unless it is on the goal line. The fact is he did raise his arm and it did block. I've seen it a few times this year, corner comes in defender jumps and has his arm up alongside his head or above it. The attacker heads it onto his arm, penalty was given. The defender may not have meant to block with his arm but it did. As a defender you have to think about what you are doing. Same as making slide tackles in the box, if you do it you increase the chances of a penalty being given.
I leave it with this mate, this explains the confusion far better than I could and I see it being a nightmare next season.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inew...champions-league-final-tottenham-referee/amp/

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've finally seen a video of the penalty, I really don't see what the problem is, clear pen all day long.
Sissoko is an absolute idiot for having his arm out like that, I'm half wondering if hes pretending to point to another player as to make himself bigger to put Mane off.
I'm sure the person hes pointing at in row z thinks hes a clown as well 😂

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes the defenders are aware he may clip the ball to the back post. Put your arm down you idiot you have just run into the box.

30 seconds into a champions league final and he thinks he can see what's happening behind him better than the defenders who are no doubt fully switched on from the kick off.

The only person with his head up his ass was sissoko.