And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Trouble is with Sane, is at times he does not track back. Now if you playing with 4 3 3, if he don't track back for oppo wingers or full back you are leaving Zinchenko massively exposed. Pep has spent an age coaching world class players to play a system that everyone know. The possession of play is because the player with the ball expects someone to be " there" it's second nature. It's the same when the players don't have the ball, they are trained as a unit to battle for the ball and track back.

I'd agree that he doesn't do the donkey work that would help zinchneko. The argument could be made that if you had a better lb (defensively) then it wouldnt be such an issue. But nowadays it's only really cb and dms that are expected to be really good defensively.

Can't argue with the results pep gets. I just don't think Sane is bad as such. He simply doesn't fit imo

D

Deleted member 15344

The problem with Sane and the wingers there is their fullbacks aren’t the greatest defensively - Mane and Mo don’t always track back but our fullbacks especially Robbo are superb defensively so at times they Mo and Mane don’t always have to track back plus the added bonus of Bobby constantly working hard. If City had better defensively fullbacks then Walker and Mendy/Zinchenko then Sane etc would have a bit more license

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The problem with Sane and the wingers there is their fullbacks aren’t the greatest defensively - Mane and Mo don’t always track back but our fullbacks especially Robbo are superb defensively so at times they Mo and Mane don’t always have to track back plus the added bonus of Bobby constantly working hard. If City had better defensively fullbacks then Walker and Mendy/Zinchenko then Sane etc would have a bit more license

Or maybe if they did track back they would have won the title 🤷‍♂️😉

D

Deleted member 18588

Whilst I would agree about Robertson's defensive qualities I don't think Liverpool have much in the way of defence in the right back position.

Certainly not Alexander Arnold who is phenomenal going forward but no great shakes going the other way.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Its splitting hairs Phil. City, with whatever resources they have, and playing whatever way they did won the league. Its fine lines. I think 'Pool played the more exciting football, and City ground out a few results in the run in but, to pinch a cliche, there's no pictures on the scorecard.

Already looking forward to next season. Wouldn't it be great if at least one of the other contenders put a squad and a style together like City and 'Pool.

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst I would agree about Robertson's defensive qualities I don't think Liverpool have much in the way of defence in the right back position.

Certainly not Alexander Arnold who is phenomenal going forward but no great shakes going the other way.
TAAhas improved massively this season especially on his covering but still needs to work on positioning at times - certainly over his right shoulder , but even then still think he is better than Walker ( in all aspects imo )

Its splitting hairs Phil. City, with whatever resources they have, and playing whatever way they did won the league. Its fine lines. I think 'Pool played the more exciting football, and City ground out a few results in the run in but, to pinch a cliche, there's no pictures on the scorecard.

Already looking forward to next season. Wouldn't it be great if at least one of the other contenders put a squad and a style together like City and 'Pool.

Eh ? I dont think the discussion was about winning the league etc - was just talking about Pep wanting his wingers to cover deep a lot and it affecting the impact of Sane alone.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
TAAhas improved massively this season especially on his covering but still needs to work on positioning at times - certainly over his right shoulder , but even then still think he is better than Walker ( in all aspects imo )

Eh ? I dont think the discussion was about winning the league etc - was just talking about Pep wanting his wingers to cover deep a lot and it affecting the impact of Sane alone.

Discussions have a habit of evolving 👍🏻

D

Deleted member 15344

You mean when they won the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and the David Ellery Cup. 😉

Yes the Henchoz handball - it was a shocking decision and if I remember correctly both linesman and ref should have seen it clear as day

D

Deleted member 18588

For me Walker still has the edge defensively due to his experience and aerial ability. But TAA still has time to learn.

Certainly at times it appeared that Klopp wasn't 100% convinced.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yes the Henchoz handball - it was a shocking decision and if I remember correctly both linesman and ref should have seen it clear as day

Yes it was even more of a penalty than the one we were awarded and that was pretty clear cut.

Had to wait another 10 years to win the League Cup!

D

Deleted member 15344

For me Walker still has the edge defensively due to his experience and aerial ability. But TAA still has time to learn.

Aerial is the one area he just doesn’t seem confident - at times Klopp has preferred Gomez there over the years especially against the “better” teams but TAA anytime that happens comes back a shows he can defend. Certainly has a very bright future ahead

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Cannot really comment on TAA coz I have not seen a lot of him, but Walker has not had the best of seasons which is putting it polately.

D

Deleted member 18588

Cannot really comment on TAA coz I have not seen a lot of him, but Walker has not had the best of seasons which is putting it polately.

I agree that for probably two-thirds of the season he was iffy but during the run in he has looked somewhere near to being back to his best.

Certainly for England's sake it is to be hoped that his late season form continues as Trippier's form has really nosedived.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree that for probably two-thirds of the season he was iffy but during the run in he has looked somewhere near to being back to his best.

Certainly for England's sake it is to be hoped that his late season form continues as Trippier's form has really nosedived.

Would have thought TAA would be starting at RB for England ?

Just looked at the squad - 5 fullbacks ?!?