And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 1740

I’d like to know when that was first sung

Was it before hillsborough?

To my knowledge Since Hillsborough and only by Everton and United up until i'd say 2008 then the rest started latching on to it. I cant remember it being sung by any of the clubs home or away who are now singing it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My question was was it sung before hand

Because if it was then it’s been morphed into something else

My mistake. It appeared to me as though you were ok with it being used if it had been sung prior, irrespective of what’s happened since.

Reading back I probably got that impression due to other posts and the way the thread was heading.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you miss the sentence in my post that referred to Hillsborough? And where in that song does it mention a guy in a coma?

I didn't associate the "victim's" line with Hillsborough, nor the lad in the coma. All I saw was a bunch of players celebrating. If that is the connotation, I apologise.

The "victims" connotations has always been used about Hillsborough.

"Battered on the streets" is the reference to Sean Cox, unless any Man City fans want to come out with some bollocks about what it is about, although their silence is deafening.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/sean-coxs-brother-says-manchester-16278761

Its weird isnt it, never had any problems with man city fans until we started knocking them out of Europe, was previously the same with Chelsea. It seems that only when teams want to have a rivalry with us that they start gravitating towards these songs.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To my knowledge Since Hillsborough and only by Everton and United up until i'd say 2008 then the rest started latching on to it. I cant remember it being sung by any of the clubs home or away who are now singing it.

new generation of fans coming through maybe?

time fades the memories etc

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Gents, this is a very emotive subject can we please agree to disagree over this one and move on. Football banter is one thing, but, this is not football banter.

Ave been a good boy and kept out of it. 😘🤗

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Let’s be honesty Tashly,what ever you’d said you’d av been on to loser anyway. 🙄

PS and CC98. I love it on this forum, some of the advice I have recieved is fantastic and greatly appreciated, some of the one liners and the crack I have on here, well it's like being back at the pit. But a few months ago, I made a concious decision to ignore a few folk. Everyone has an opinion, I appreciate that. But some folk on here. It is what it is and it ain't changing. Fair enough I can deal with that. But it's when it gets tribal. That I don't need. The negativity, I don't need.
The sun is blasting down and the grandkids are playing with Nanna and grandad. Why do I need to be stressed listening to the negativity on here. Yup I have my thoughts on what's being said. I have my thoughts on how it first came about. But as had been said don't matter what I say, am gonna come off here pissed off. And at the moment am not and life is very very sweet. Apart from me Golf.

So me, am off outside in th sunshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Enjoy boys and girls.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Did you miss the sentence in my post that referred to Hillsborough? And where in that song does it mention a guy in a coma?

I didn't associate the "victim's" line with Hillsborough, nor the lad in the coma. All I saw was a bunch of players celebrating. If that is the connotation, I apologise.

"no team or player should be singing about other clubs, regardless of circumstances."

C'mon Paul. not "regardless of circumstances" I stood on the terraces at Ayresome Park for donkey's years singing many songs that where both humorous and gentle banter between fans. My seat at the Riverside was close to the away end and had great banter. Yes there's idiots on both sides but some of the best pints I've had have been with opposition fans, home and away. Had a great time in a pub in Liverpool a couple of seasons back with the red fans before the game. Was the only Boro fan in a pub in Sheffield last year, sat with a couple of dozen Wednesday fans. In both cases there was banter and singing. Its part and parcel of the game, and long may it continue.
Team or player Bri, ie, those in an official capacity, I put all teams have kn@bhead fans.
Team officials, etc set the tone.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Team or player Bri, ie, those in an official capacity, I put all teams have kn@bhead fans.
Team officials, etc set the tone.

Why can't a team and its officials have a sing, e.g. Queen's "We are the champions." I disagree with you on the no singing under any circumstances. If the City players knew the connotations of victims, as has been explained for those of us who didn't know, then yes it was wrong.

For the bit about Kompany catching Salah, wrong at the time of the offence but banter in the song.

As for any other comments, I'm with Tashy. There's bits I could add but as DCB says, its too emotive a subject and is best left alone.

D

Deleted member 16999

Who said they don't know it happened, you're just looking for an angle. It was nearly 30 years ago and these tragedies eventually fade from our collective memory, do you honestly believe those city players were deliberately wanting to cause offense to the families of those who died? Like i said, most wouldn't have had a clue
Ignorance is not an excuse!
Maybe you could draw up a list of the subjects that it’s ok to class as banter, people died, surely if you are an educated, tolerant individual and someone told you “regardless of your intent, what you are saying I find offensive” any normal human being would show some respect and refrain from saying it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why can't a team and its officials have a sing, e.g. Queen's "We are the champions." I disagree with you on the no singing under any circumstances. If the City players knew the connotations of victims, as has been explained for those of us who didn't know, then yes it was wrong.

For the bit about Kompany catching Salah, wrong at the time of the offence but banter in the song.

As for any other comments, I'm with Tashy. There's bits I could add but as DCB says, its too emotive a subject and is best left alone.
Seriously! You are equating a pop song to a fans chant taking the p!ss out of rivals and risking offending them.

D

Deleted member 15344

For me it all seems very much out of character and strange considering how both teams have been this season - it’s been tight all the way through the season right up until the last 45 mins and both teams have acted with grace and respect for each other , there have been no mind games , no silly sly digs - both managers and players have been nothing but complimentary of each other as each game has gone by. When the final whistle went Liverpool players and managers congratulated City on a great win and the City players and manager acknowledged the part Liverpool played and again it was very respectful. It made the season really feel like such an amazing season

- and then to see the video and the have to ask why ? Why the need to do it - the words are harmful for a good number of people and they have over the years pointed towards very harmful events and it crossed the line and you wondered if that respect for each other which seemed genuine just gone - I wonder what Pep thinks now - a person who has been the embodiment of their respect for their opponents. Teams and fans will always at times sing about opponents and some will always use certain words which are just not banter - and saying “they are just words” for me is extremely ignorant especially when more and more recognise how harmful the written word or spoken word can be.

It’s such a shame that this incident has left a bit of a sour taste after such a wonderful season for both clubs - and it’s also a shame to see City try and brush it away - have a feeling their manager won’t be a happy man

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seriously! You are equating a pop song to a fans chant taking the p!ss out of rivals and risking offending them.

And now you're being way too sensitive!!! At least read everything I wrote AND digest it. Listen, not just hear.

You have said officials shouldn't sing songs under any circumstances, or do you just mean songs that reference things like Hillsborough or Munich? I said why can't they have, in effect, a general sing song? Are they supposed to just sit quietly drinking tea from china cups? Where have I equated a pop song with a rival's chant that would offend people? You really need to dial it back a bit Paul, as it looks like the red mist is taking over.

You will also see that I have already apologised for not realising it was about Hillsborough. Hillsborough, Munich, Bradford & Heysel should never ever be forgotten and deserves the greatest respect and deference.

But that doesn't seem to stop people not accepting the apology with the good grace it was given with. The holier than thou "is extremely ignorant" from LiverpoolPhil typifies the ignorance from some 'pool fans too. Not everyone survives on every word coming out of the Liverpool Echo.

D

Deleted member 16999

And now you're being way too sensitive!!! At least read everything I wrote AND digest it. Listen, not just hear.

You have said officials shouldn't sing songs under any circumstances, or do you just mean songs that reference things like Hillsborough or Munich? I said why can't they have, in effect, a general sing song? Are they supposed to just sit quietly drinking tea from china cups? Where have I equated a pop song with a rival's chant that would offend people? You really need to dial it back a bit Paul, as it looks like the red mist is taking over.

You will also see that I have already apologised for not realising it was about Hillsborough. Hillsborough, Munich, Bradford & Heysel should never ever be forgotten and deserves the greatest respect and deference.

But that doesn't seem to stop people not accepting the apology with the good grace it was given with. The holier than thou "is extremely ignorant" from LiverpoolPhil typifies the ignorance from some 'pool fans too. Not everyone survives on every word coming out of the Liverpool Echo.
You are missing the point, lets agree for one moment it’s not about Hillsborough or Sean Cox.

They said in their statement it was about fans in Kiev and Kompany’s tackle.

Professional Footballers should not be singing about any fans of any team getting beat up and certainly not about one of their players injuring another.

Hundreds of other songs could of been sung, not one mocking rivals.

Totally unprofessional from the Man City Staff.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You are missing the point, lets agree for one moment it’s not about Hillsborough or Sean Cox.

They said in their statement it was about fans in Kiev and Kompany’s tackle.

Professional Footballers should not be singing about any fans of any team getting beat up and certainly not about one of their players injuring another.

Hundreds of other songs could of been song, not one mocking rivals.

Totally unprofessional from the Man City Staff.

We totally agree. Maybe we've been getting the fullstops and commas mixed up.