And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

This sounds like a Wenger eulogy except it’s missing the honours.
No doubt - very similar to Wengers early years - took at team from 3rd to winning the title three times and a couple of doubles- he was excellent in those first 8/9 years - then Chelsea arrived , then City arrived and his last ten years looked a bit different.

Don’t get me wrong it’s massively disappointing not to be getting over that finishing line - it’s been gut wrenching for the last two years getting so close to winning the big ones - it’s always going to be hard when you are challenging against the “best Prem side ever” and the level of competition in Europe - but right now we are in amongst those sides now and lots of belief that we will get over the line. The future certainly looks a lot brighter at the moment and I would suspect bar fans of one club they would love to have that situation right now

D

Deleted member 16999

What is the thinking behind that? I can see Utd having a mini cull this summer so that is another year of transition whilst they bed new players in. Do you think the team will stay largely the same? Why would top players go to Utd in their current position, no CL, club in flux?
I don’t think they’ll finish above LPool, but they are still one of the biggest Clubs in the world, why would they struggle to buy players?

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey that’s a hell of a statement, I’d say you are one or two bad injuries away from being bang average (in relation to Man City). Salah out you’re knacked, Salah and Mane out and you’re double buggered with no quality to replace either.
How is it a “hell of a statement”

Just look at the CL over the last two seasons - final then semi final ?! What more proof is there

As for losing players - take Messi out of Barcelona , take Ronaldo out of Juve .

You can point to all the top teams and suggest they will struggle if they miss their top two players - City struggled when they lost KBD and Fernandinho over the Xmas period. City are very lucky they are able to have the resources to spend £50 mil on players to be part of the squad or sit on the bench week in week out - not so easy for others.

But there is no doubt that we will lose some of the fringe players and replace them with players who will provide strength in depth. Klopp needed to get quality in for the first 11/14 and he has done that - now it’s about strengthening.

In other news - Neville and Carragher have been excellent on MNF , really enjoyed the way their work , their analysis and also the banter between the two

Last edited by a moderator:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is the thinking behind that? I can see Utd having a mini cull this summer so that is another year of transition whilst they bed new players in. Do you think the team will stay largely the same? Why would top players go to Utd in their current position, no CL, club in flux?
Quite some simply Liverpool will not have the same joy they had this year.
The so called top 6 will buy and get better.

Define top players.
Utd are not PSG,Barca or Real who will spend £150 million on one player.
When buying 60/70 million pound players you don’t guarantee great players.

Liverpool bought Salah,Mane etc relatively cheap and it worked out,but it could easily have not turned out so well.
Salah is already half as good as he was last year and is now picking up injuries,they will have to buy too.

We need a clear out but you can’t get rid of loads that imo we need too,however can see 5 or 6 going so will need replacing.
Whoever we get in there’s no guarantee it will all gel,but one thing I think we can guarantee as Utd supporters the management will be giving it everything.

You can also expect Chelsea,Arsenal and Spurs to improve too.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Phil, what are your thoughts on Kieta? Pre season you were very lavish in your praise to say the least......

Not a hindsight question, just curious. Do you think he’s cut out for the league. Fabinho started slow but now looks a star. Keira hasn’t done anything really for me.

Your squad doesn’t need a massive overhaul. You either need another quality cb or Gomez to stay fit. Full backs sorted. I think maybe a bit more proper guile in midfield. You have about 6 similar midfielders but no real creative one. Up top Origi looks to have been given a chance, but imo playing Firminho, Mane and Salah for 50/60 games is too many.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Quite some simply Liverpool will not have the same joy they had this year.
The so called top 6 will buy and get better.

Define top players.
Utd are not PSG,Barca or Real who will spend £150 million on one player.
When buying 60/70 million pound players you don’t guarantee great players.

Liverpool bought Salah,Mane etc relatively cheap and it worked out,but it could easily have not turned out so well.
Salah is already half as good as he was last year and is now picking up injuries,they will have to buy too.

We need a clear out but you can’t get rid of loads that imo we need too,however can see 5 or 6 going so will need replacing.
Whoever we get in there’s no guarantee it will all gel,but one thing I think we can guarantee as Utd supporters the management will be giving it everything.

You can also expect Chelsea,Arsenal and Spurs to improve too.

If they win the CL I’d agree. If they don’t. I think it could be same as last season. Keeping all their players is their best hope.

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil, what are your thoughts on Kieta? Pre season you were very lavish in your praise to say the least......

Not a hindsight question, just curious. Do you think he’s cut out for the league. Fabinho started slow but now looks a star. Keira hasn’t done anything really for me.

Your squad doesn’t need a massive overhaul. You either need another quality cb or Gomez to stay fit. Full backs sorted. I think maybe a bit more proper guile in midfield. You have about 6 similar midfielders but no real creative one. Up top Origi looks to have been given a chance, but imo playing Firminho, Mane and Salah for 50/60 games is too many.

Keita started well , looked like a very good player but then struggled a little when he got injured he seemed to lose a lot of confidence and struggled with the physical side. Then over the last two months he has been getting back into it , looking really dangerous on the ball , getting goals and creating - was looking like the player we signed. It’s a shame he got taken out by Rakitic because he looked good in the early stages of the Barce game. Still think he is going to be a great player for us - offers that ability to carry the ball.

I think we will need to get another full back as Moreno is leaving but I expect that person to be this young lad from Bristol City - Kelly plus a few guys in the reserves are close. CB - depends on what happens with Lovren , if he goes then maybe a young one to come in but got to hope that Gomez gets a bit of luck going his way.

Midfield- I’m not sure if Milner will get another year but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Klopp look at Fekir again or someone like him - if Gruijic comes back Milner will leave

Forwards - Sturridge and Origi will leave - that’s leaves two spots to fill - Brewster will be in the squad next year , Wilson from Derby maybe but can see Klopp looking for another wide player - lot of talk of Pepe from Lille

So I expect overall a couple of signings like Mane etc and then a couple of young lads maybe

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Blimey that’s a hell of a statement, I’d say you are one or two bad injuries away from being bang average (in relation to Man City). Salah out you’re knacked, Salah and Mane out and you’re double buggered with no quality to replace either.

There is definitely not the same depth as City and I think were Liverpool to get unlucky with two or three key players out at once for a month or so and they'll struggle. However if Klopp has the cash to spend, and perhaps gets rid of some he feels are not what he needs going forward, then I don't think he'll struggle to attract top players to Anfield. Do people on here think Liverpool have been relatively lucky in terms of long term injuries to big players compared to other sides or is it better team management

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t think they’ll finish above LPool, but they are still one of the biggest Clubs in the world, why would they struggle to buy players?
Utd have had a few years of turmoil and are not seen as a happy camp.

CL is massive to top players whether for ambition or for their off field sponsors, very important from an agents point of view. No CL means the very top ones wont go there, the next layer down will only go after a lot of persuading and a higher than justified salary, ie Sanchez.

Add into the mix you are no longer guaranteed trophies at Utd. Top players can go to certain clubs, Juve, Barca, Real (usually), PSG, Bayern and know the trophies will pour in. Utd are now well behind City & Liverpool and are having issues with Chelsea, Spurs and possibly Arsenal.

If I was an agent right now I would not be pushing my clients towards Utd, I'd let the club get through this period and point them elsewhere.

They are a financial power still but not necessarily a football one, right now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is definitely not the same depth as City and I think were Liverpool to get unlucky with two or three key players out at once for a month or so and they'll struggle. However if Klopp has the cash to spend, and perhaps gets rid of some he feels are not what he needs going forward, then I don't think he'll struggle to attract top players to Anfield. Do people on here think Liverpool have been relatively lucky in terms of long term injuries to big players compared to other sides or is it better team management
I was just going to say this. Van Dijk, Alisson and Salah have played in every game. Robertson, Mane & Firmino have only missed a couple each. That's basically their six best players who have only missed a handful of games between them. Excluding Firmino, the other five there have played more minutes than any Spurs player, and any City player bar Ederson.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was just going to say this. Van Dijk, Alisson and Salah have played in every game. Robertson, Mane & Firmino have only missed a couple each. That's basically their six best players who have only missed a handful of games between them. Excluding Firmino, the other five there have played more minutes than any Spurs player, and any City player bar Ederson.

Just like spurs when you got 86 points a few years ago you had very low amount of injuries

This season you have had a lot more

City if they get an injury can replace with class

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Utd have had a few years of turmoil and are not seen as a happy camp.

CL is massive to top players whether for ambition or for their off field sponsors, very important from an agents point of view. No CL means the very top ones wont go there, the next layer down will only go after a lot of persuading and a higher than justified salary, ie Sanchez.

Add into the mix you are no longer guaranteed trophies at Utd. Top players can go to certain clubs, Juve, Barca, Real (usually), PSG, Bayern and know the trophies will pour in. Utd are now well behind City & Liverpool and are having issues with Chelsea, Spurs and possibly Arsenal.

If I was an agent right now I would not be pushing my clients towards Utd, I'd let the club get through this period and point them elsewhere.

They are a financial power still but not necessarily a football one, right now.
United are a different kettle of fish to be fair. Still an absolutely massive club, they've signed players like Pogba and Sanchez without Champion's League to offer. They give out astronomical wages and dine out on their reputation as one of the biggest 3 or 4 clubs on the planet, and the players will always join.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just like spurs when you got 86 points a few years ago you had very low amount of injuries

This season you have had a lot more

City if they get an injury can replace with class
That's true. It definitely helps! City are certainly the only side that don't need to worry about it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
United are a different kettle of fish to be fair. Still an absolutely massive club, they've signed players like Pogba and Sanchez without Champion's League to offer. They give out astronomical wages and dine out on their reputation as one of the biggest 3 or 4 clubs on the planet, and the players will always join.
Last year they were in the CL. This summer they are signing players knowing that it is Thursday night for them. Might be a tougher sell.

They will still get big players but perhaps not the elite ones they would really like this time. (Incidentally, how have Pogba & Sanchez worked out for them? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good examples to pick (y))

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year they were in the CL. This summer they are signing players knowing that it is Thursday night for them. Might be a tougher sell.

They will still get big players but perhaps not the elite ones they would really like this time. (Incidentally, how have Pogba & Sanchez worked out for them? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good examples to pick (y))
How they worked out is immaterial, they were both considered top players at the time of signing. But it's certainly symptomatic of how it's gone to pot at United.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How they worked out is immaterial, they were both considered top players at the time of signing. But it's certainly symptomatic of how it's gone to pot at United.
I know, I was being cheeky as you chose two players who are on top pay and have either flopped or struggled to live up to the fees involved. They did get them though but this is a post Mourinho era, he would have been a pull at one stage, and the club are still dealing with the fallout from him.

D

Deleted member 16999

You mean those 2 players who won trophies under Jose?

Man Utd will be a massive pull for top players, plus a rebuild and a new manager, they could see it as being in on something special.

On the other side it doesn’t always take the top players. You could argue it takes the right players, Kompany - 5Mil, Robertson - 13Mil, Coleman - 60k.

D

Deleted member 15344

They are still a big club but they having offer those massive wages to try and entice players - Sanchez is the perfect example , he turned down City for Utd because they went way and beyond in regards the level of money he was offered - what sort of player are you going to get then - someone more motivated by the money than the chances to challenge and win and play in the CL.

This summer for example Utd will be looking for a CB - De Ligt will no doubt be a target for them and others , If other top clubs are looking do you see him going there ? or Dybala is another. They will always get players but right now beyond money its not as attractive to play for Utd as it used to be. They also appear to have issues with their recruitment and the guy who is CEO - an accountant and one who appears to have a big say in player purchases.

I can see some real big struggles ahead for them - they arent invincible and it could be a number of years attempting to rebuild - lots of mistakes have been made and IMO is their managerial appointments since Ferguson left - Moyes then Van Gaal then Mourinho and now OGS. Think they were mad to appoint at that stage - should have waited until the summer

4LEX

Visit site
Man Utd are finished as a major force as long as Woodward is running the show. He's made bad decisions, failed to give any of his managers their first choice targets, then made awful panic buys to save face. The result is a mish mash of trudgers, no marks, egos and a few decent young players.

Throw in a clueless manager in Ole with no experience of managing at the top level and you'll have another summer of bizzare transfer activity. The fact Rio Ferdinand is being talked about as a sporting director adds further proof they'll more comical goings on :ROFLMAO:

Man Utd are one of the three superclubs in the world with Barcelona and Real Madrid, so they'll always have a pull others can't match and the deep pockets to take the hit. I think it'll take another bad summer and season before the big changes take place.