And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tash I said city can replace with class not Liverpool , salah is a massive miss
Yes I was trying to use Salah and KDB as examples, both in the running for Player of the year last season but not hit the heights this year. It is to both Liverpools and Citys credit that they have had players who have upped there game.

D

Deleted member 15344

Or it shows how pathetically weak the opposition were?

Do you really think that ? Was it the same last season when City got over 100 points ? Or when Utd got a treble or when Arsenal went unbeaten ?

Or is it the case that people will look to downplay achievements from rivals ?

The Prem is awash with outstanding top quality players - 4 teams out of 8 in the European Comp semi finals , is it a false picture that the Prem is strong ?

City are highlighted a number of times to be the best Prem team ever - is that not the case because the opposition are pathetically weak as you say

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure its been a vintage version Phil in terms of depth after the top 2, the side that were supposed to be in a 3 horse race with you and City ended up losing 13 games out of 37!

Poor versions of Arsenal Man Utd and Chelsea too for sure. A few improved sides in mid table and then a group of very poor sides at the bottom.

Dont get me wrong, think both City and Liverpool have been excellent, especially earlier in the campaign, one thing is for sure, its a very big gap from 2nd to the rest currently and dont see much reason for that to change next year either (will be some uncompetitive or very new and unsettled squads in the rest of the top 6). Whoever comes 2nd will have earnt the title of best runners up for sure

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you really think that ? Was it the same last season when City got over 100 points ? Or when Utd got a treble or when Arsenal went unbeaten ?

Or is it the case that people will look to downplay achievements from rivals ?

The Prem is awash with outstanding top quality players - 4 teams out of 8 in the European Comp semi finals , is it a false picture that the Prem is strong ?

City are highlighted a number of times to be the best Prem team ever - is that not the case because the opposition are pathetically weak as you say

Oh, don't be so silly, both Liverpool and City have been absolutely fantastic this season.
And course the opposition has been dismal this season.
Just look how many points Utd, Spurs, Chelsea ans Arsenal have dropped over the last couple of months against teams below them.
They have been very, very poor.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure its been a vintage version Phil in terms of depth after the top 2, the side that were supposed to be in a 3 horse race with you and City ended up losing 13 games out of 37!

Poor versions of Arsenal Man Utd and Chelsea too for sure. A few improved sides in mid table and then a group of very poor sides at the bottom.

Dont get me wrong, think both City and Liverpool have been excellent, especially earlier in the campaign, one thing is for sure, its a very big gap from 2nd to the rest currently and dont see much reason for that to change next year either (will be some uncompetitive or very new and unsettled squads in the rest of the top 6). Whoever comes 2nd will have earnt the title of best runners up for sure
That’s prob a fairer “interpretation” as opposed to the pathetically weak opposition - the likes of Watford , Wolves , Leicester and recently Everton have become stronger - but balanced out by the likes of the other top four struggling. It’s very hard to judge overall I guess - Spurs at one stage where there but lack of strength in depth killed them off - Chelsea just were inconsistent, Arsenal seemed to be a lack of self belief and Man Utd just not really a team.

Colchester made a very good point about the likes of Leicester have good first teams so maybe next year it’s going to be more a case of them closer to gap to the likes of Chelsea etc so you end up with a top 2 then a “next 6/7” below ?

As you say I really can’t see the teams bridging that gap up to Liverpool and City

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We dropped loads of points at home, which is not acceptable, not only to most if not all of the top 6 teams, but to mid table and bottom feeders also. These losses imo were mainly down to when we were playing Hazard as a false 9 and making him ineffective, also Higuain not putting any decent shifts in when selected ahead of Giroud, even though in plenty of early games he (Higuain) was unfit and looked totally out of sorts.

Jorginho can't defend, butvyo be fair to him, his last 2 games have been a huge improvement, as have Higuain, so, did they just need more time to settle, or.......

Our back 4 is the most inconsistent defence line we’ve had for years, and is a worry.

We don’t have a solid spine at present, Sarri is going to get another term due to CL qualification and possibly more support if we win the Europa, which would be his first trophy😳

If that happens, it will be interesting to see what changes he’s allowed to do, players in players out, obviously that’s dependent on the potential ban, but we have some decent players we can recall, so I don’t honestly think we are in such a negative position some would have us believe.

New manager, new system, unsettled new players, players out of position, injuries the list is endless which all had an impact on our poor season imo, so, I think those that right us off are very naive.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s prob a fairer “interpretation” as opposed to the pathetically weak opposition - the likes of Watford , Wolves , Leicester and recently Everton have become stronger - but balanced out by the likes of the other top four struggling. It’s very hard to judge overall I guess - Spurs at one stage where there but lack of strength in depth killed them off - Chelsea just were inconsistent, Arsenal seemed to be a lack of self belief and Man Utd just not really a team.

Colchester made a very good point about the likes of Leicester have good first teams so maybe next year it’s going to be more a case of them closer to gap to the likes of Chelsea etc so you end up with a top 2 then a “next 6/7” below ?

As you say I really can’t see the teams bridging that gap up to Liverpool and City

think theres still a decent sized gap between 6th and the rest, football would be far better if that gap went but those in 7th to 10th will have to spend and strengthen if they are to bridge the gap, to sides that are likely to do the same, pay higher wages and historically have a greater pull and the lure of european football

what is clear is that those sides have done some decent business lower down the tfr market compared to some of those above them (and yes im especially looking at arsenal who paid over 30m each for mustafi and xhaka plus 100k+ a week contracts)

will be interesting to see who comes and goes over the summer, however with an owner who isnt going to put his hands in his pockets, Arsenals priority will be trying to get 2 or 3 of the liabilities off the wage bill to give them some flexibility to bring in some new faces. It may mean we see more of some of the promising youngsters if nothing else! Id expect were a decent bet to finish exactly 6th next year!

D

Deleted member 1740

Off the match, early goal would be great but not too important, dont need to be gung ho from the start. Its a massive mountain to climb tonight but i believe in our boys even without the 1 season wonder 😉

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Off the match, early goal would be great but not too important, dont need to be gung ho from the start. Its a massive mountain to climb tonight but i believe in our boys even without the 1 season wonder 😉

have fun Stu, its one helluva mountain but be one helluva party if you climb it!!!!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Things can obviously change, but right now I wonder how the Barca fans are viewing the decision to make 11 changes for the last game.