And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You mean those 2 players who won trophies under Jose?

Man Utd will be a massive pull for top players, plus a rebuild and a new manager, they could see it as being in on something special.

On the other side it doesn’t always take the top players. You could argue it takes the right players, Kompany - 5Mil, Robertson - 13Mil, Coleman - 60k.

They won trophies but not ones that players at that level look for or value. They have also gone backwards since then, not forwards.

I don't think most players, particularly foreign players who have no affinity for the club, think long term. They look 1-2 years ahead, no more. Times have changed on that front. Top players want to go to a club that will challenge, and ideally win, now, not in 2-3 yrs time. They know they may not last that long at the club, certainly not when the managers are changing as frequently as they do now at Utd. Bring stability to a club and you may get that but Utd don't have that.

I totally agree about your last line but that is not really how Utd work. They either bring their own youngsters through or pay big. They don't tend to buy bargain players or look in the lower leagues.

D

Deleted member 16999

They won trophies but not ones that players at that level look for or value. They have also gone backwards since then, not forwards.

I don't think most players, particularly foreign players who have no affinity for the club, think long term. They look 1-2 years ahead, no more. Times have changed on that front. Top players want to go to a club that will challenge, and ideally win, now, not in 2-3 yrs time. They know they may not last that long at the club, certainly not when the managers are changing as frequently as they do now at Utd. Bring stability to a club and you may get that but Utd don't have that.

I totally agree about your last line but that is not really how Utd work. They either bring their own youngsters through or pay big. They don't tend to buy bargain players or look in the lower leagues.
You will have needed to see the Gary Neville rant last night on MNF, he explained the problems with Man Utd and Jose, he said himself it’s no good giving these managers the job then not backing them, how many of those players were actually Jose’s?
How has Klopp managed to attract the players he’s brought in? They had less to offer then than Utd have now.
Sometimes the name of a Club carries more weight than anything else, some of the current worlds best grew up wanting to play for Utd, Lpool, Barca, RM, etc.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got to admit, found myself wanting Liverpool to win it this Year. Was very much cheering on Leicester last night and that seems to go against the grain for most non City/Liverpool fans. Think it is partly in the underdog I like to support (City very much the fav's pretty much all season) but also Liverpool are a club who have had a long period of pain when it comes to the PL and I would personally like to see them win it for the sake of their supporters who I guess I can emphasis with a little as a football follower.

Still think a twist lies ahead. Brighton are a well organised side and are happy to defend all day and with the threat of relegation gone, will not be a push over for City. City are good, but still manage to give chances to almost everyone they play.

As for the United discussion, I'm afraid they are gone as a title contender for another season at least. Ole was one of the worse managerial appointments I have ever seen due to the timing of it, United had everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain by giving him the job when they did and it will backfire massively. He will be gone by 2020 is my bet. The squad is imbalanced and has some real problem players within it imo (Sanchez, Rashford, Pogba, Lingard, Shaw to name a few).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Klopp built his team cleverly with mid level, relative of course, buys before going big to finish the team off. He may not have been able to attract Allison and VVD first off. Liverpool have given an air of stability in Klopp's time, something Utd could not claim. An agent would happily send a player to Liverpool right now, if they sent them to Utd it would be to count the money.

Weight of a club. That lasts for a time but then loses some gloss. AC Milan anyone? I'm not saying Utd are in the AC Milan position right now but no way are they the attraction they once were. If you are a top player and you can go to Bayern, Juve, Barca, City or Utd then I know which team is at the bottom of that list and it's not any of the first 4.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think Klopp built his team cleverly with mid level, relative of course, buys before going big to finish the team off. He may not have been able to attract Allison and VVD first off. Liverpool have given an air of stability in Klopp's time, something Utd could not claim. An agent would happily send a player to Liverpool right now, if they sent them to Utd it would be to count the money.

Weight of a club. That lasts for a time but then loses some gloss. AC Milan anyone? I'm not saying Utd are in the AC Milan position right now but no way are they the attraction they once were. If you are a top player and you can go to Bayern, Juve, Barca, City or Utd then I know which team is at the bottom of that list and it's not any of the first 4.
So just 5th out of the possible top 5 Clubs in Europe/World Football 😂😂

He only paid over the odds for VVD because of his bad behaviour the previous summer. VVD wouldn’t of cost that much and stated quite clearly he wanted to play for Lpool, if the rumours in the papers are to be believed, City also went for him but his heart was set on Lpool.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So just 5th out of the possible top 5 Clubs in Europe/World Football 😂😂

He only paid over the odds for VVD because of his bad behaviour the previous summer. VVD wouldn’t of cost that much and stated quite clearly he wanted to play for Lpool, if the rumours in the papers are to be believed, City also went for him but his heart was set on Lpool.
I wouldn't actually put them in 5th right now, they are not that high. Those 4 are undoubtedly higher as are Real, no dispute in my view, PSG probably as well.

At the moment, if you are a top player, are they more attractive than Liverpool? Much difference between them and Chelsea, the lure of London? In my view, they are around 8th and that is down to wages over the likes of Dortmund and Spurs.

That sounds not too bad but then if really good players are in short supply then being 8th in the queue is not so great. Any one of those 7 come in for a player when you are, not so great. Before anyone chips in, I am not judging on welath as we know Utd are top 3 there, it is how attractive they are right now, the full package.

D

Deleted member 16999

I wouldn't actually put them in 5th right now, they are not that high. Those 4 are undoubtedly higher as are Real, no dispute in my view, PSG probably as well.

At the moment, if you are a top player, are they more attractive than Liverpool? Much difference between them and Chelsea, the lure of London? In my view, they are around 8th and that is down to wages over the likes of Dortmund and Spurs.

That sounds not too bad but then if really good players are in short supply then being 8th in the queue is not so great. Any one of those 7 come in for a player when you are, not so great. Before anyone chips in, I am not judging on welath as we know Utd are top 3 there, it is how attractive they are right now, the full package.
So you are a top player and a few English Clubs come in for you, wages will be one influence, stature another, maybe history and potential, Utd will tick 3 possibly all 4 of them boxes, not many Clubs will tick all 4.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you are a top player and a few English Clubs come in for you, wages will be one influence, stature another, maybe history and potential, Utd will tick 3 possibly all 4 of them boxes, not many Clubs will tick all 4.
Agree on the whole but at this precise moment I don't think they are attractive. They are unsettled, can people really see OGS being there in 12 months time at this rate? The atmosphere seems bad, has been for a while, and they are a country mile behind two clubs in this country and far enough to be behind another 2 at least.

Signing for Utd 1-2 years ago is a different proposition to signing for them now.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
This transfer window is massive for United. If they were to bin Young, Jones, Valencia, Sanchez and Fred, keep De Gea and Pogba, and bring in Koulibaly, Wan-Bissaka, SMS and Sancho I think they'd have a very, very strong squad capable of contending. I don't think that will happen, but if it did and United bought well in the summer they could be back competing for the title next season, they're not that far away.

D

Deleted member 16999

Agree on the whole but at this precise moment I don't think they are attractive. They are unsettled, can people really see OGS being there in 12 months time at this rate? The atmosphere seems bad, has been for a while, and they are a country mile behind two clubs in this country and far enough to be behind another 2 at least.

Signing for Utd 1-2 years ago is a different proposition to signing for them now.
This transfer window is massive for United. If they were to bin Young, Jones, Valencia, Sanchez and Fred, keep De Gea and Pogba, and bring in Koulibaly, Wan-Bissaka, SMS and Sancho I think they'd have a very, very strong squad capable of contending. I don't think that will happen, but if it did and United bought well in the summer they could be back competing for the title next season, they're not that far away.
I think, for me, Dan has answered it, OGS has to be given a chance and the right backing, getting the players he wants rather than who he’s told.
If he’s not then I agree it’ll be another wasted season.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I read yesterday, that most of the UTD squad have a clause in their contracts meaning a 25% pay cut if they miss out on CL football. No matter how much they earn, thats gonna affect :)
OK forgetting Sánchez on 500k per week but other first teamers earning around 200 k. They lose 25 % and are ONLY on 150k per week. My heart bleeds.

Probably more than most people manage to save in their lifetime!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just like spurs when you got 86 points a few years ago you had very low amount of injuries

This season you have had a lot more

City if they get an injury can replace with class

Not sure about class, who would you replace Salah with tonight, he will be good but class. Same as KDB he will be replaced but that's one of the reasons City have stuttered this year. Last year KDB, Silva and Fernandinho were the cornerstone of Citys title. This year they have hardly played as a three some. KDB and Fernandinho has been replaced but not by players of the same quality.
One thing I will add is that when City bring on Subs, usually the change is seamless. That's not just down to the players that come on but the system that City play. Yes like last night a player may have differant traits, like Sane being quicker but in essence, the style of play does not change. Gotta say that the way Leicester were organised last night, they have bought in to a similar trait in that they are organised.
Again linking to the Utd problems, Johnny Evans had a very good game last night ( as did Harry Maguire) , how he was allowed to leave Utd is beyond me.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
He has been told to report back but if Everton put a decent enough bid in then Chelsea are likely to accept I reckon. They have shown no interest in Zouma up until now, a chance to make some money to put towards other signings.

Do you think he would start next season at Chelsea or just be a squad player? If start, who would he replace?

Impossible to answer at this time, until we know the outcome of the transfer ban appeal I doubt we’ll sell anyone, especially as we saw and experienced a few injuries towards the end of the season and we were clearly not as solid as we need to be in our back 4, for ages, so, I don’t think we’d accept an offer currently for any player, especially if we lose the appeal and if that’s the case, certain players will return off loan, possible to strengthen and in the odd scenario, replace someone who we feel has to be let go.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure about class, who would you replace Salah with tonight, he will be good but class. Same as KDB he will be replaced but that's one of the reasons City have stuttered this year. Last year KDB, Silva and Fernandinho were the cornerstone of Citys title. This year they have hardly played as a three some. KDB and Fernandinho has been replaced but not by players of the same quality.
One thing I will add is that when City bring on Subs, usually the change is seamless. That's not just down to the players that come on but the system that City play. Yes like last night a player may have differant traits, like Sane being quicker but in essence, the style of play does not change. Gotta say that the way Leicester were organised last night, they have bought in to a similar trait in that they are organised.
Again linking to the Utd problems, Johnny Evans had a very good game last night ( as did Harry Maguire) , how he was allowed to leave Utd is beyond me.

Tash I said city can replace with class not Liverpool , salah is a massive miss

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we win on Sunday that would give us 97 points - I believe that would have won the league in every single season bar last season and prob this season. It’s just amazing and also heartbreaking that such a points tally and only losing once in the league is going to be 1 point short - shows how unbelievable both teams have been this season. For me can only be looked as a positive

Or it shows how pathetically weak the opposition were?