And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

For years you mocked Wenger and Arsenal for finishing top 4 with your famous “do you get a trophy for that?” line.

I tried to tell you that money teams have made it very difficult to win the league and that top 4 is a decent accomplishment.

But as you, Stu and others keep saying it’s all about trophies so yes it would be a another failure season for Klopp.

Ironically, Klopp keeps celebrating playing well and winning games and seems content going along like that despite picking up any silverware. Some fans are more than happy to watch great football and to be up there competing and if you win something then that’s a bonus. Seems like this is Klopps philosophy too.

But most fans ( and Arsenal have them too) have unrealistic expectations and are inpatient, and if they don’t win then the manager must be changed and half of the team needs to be replaced.

I wonder how good United might have been by now had they stuck with Moyes? 🤔
There really is no comparison between this season for Liverpool and Arsenal’s last 4/5 under Wenger - wildly different - you cannot compare the way the two managers and clubs looked to approach. We aren’t “celebrating” scraping a top 4 spot as if it’s a trophy , we aren’t crumbling out of the CL at the first KO stage , and we weren’t out of a title chance by Xmas. There is just no comparison at all.

And your assessment of Klopp is what you see but the man wants to win , he won’t be content with coming second he will look to improve again next season just as he has done every year - it was never going to be an overnight job , it was going to take at least 5 years I thought to put us into a place to challenge but he has done it quicker and we will go again next year , he will improve in the summer and go and look to win.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone calling Liverpools season a failure knows nothing about football.

Unreal from Kompany last night, what a hit. A goal deserving of winning a league title.

They have played very good football, good manager. Not their fault city are just that tiny bit better (it looks at the moment)

However Liverpool are younger are they not? City’s important players are older and rebuilding with younger players takes time ..

Could see Liverpool winning it next season

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
There really is no comparison between this season for Liverpool and Arsenal’s last 4/5 under Wenger - wildly different - you cannot compare the way the two managers and clubs looked to approach. We aren’t “celebrating” scraping a top 4 spot as if it’s a trophy , we aren’t crumbling out of the CL at the first KO stage , and we weren’t out of a title chance by Xmas. There is just no comparison at all.

And your assessment of Klopp is what you see but the man wants to win , he won’t be content with coming second he will look to improve again next season just as he has done every year - it was never going to be an overnight job , it was going to take at least 5 years I thought to put us into a place to challenge but he has done it quicker and we will go again next year , he will improve in the summer and go and look to win.

Not my assessment, in Klopps own words mate...

“
They are two points clear of Manchester City. "If you are only motivated to win the Holy Grail, then something is wrong with you," said Klopp.
Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool motivated by fans not 'Holy Grail' of title win.”

There are other quotes like this, it’s apparently not all about winning but playing well and entertaining fans.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wenger in his last 4/5 seasons had Arsenal in 2-5 position in the PL and won 2 FA Cups, that’s after years upon years of success, the only manager he should be compared with is Alex Ferguson.
Regardless of style of football, Teams, Managers and Players are judged on trophies.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You reckon? Had he been given the money the others had then I would have fancied him to have won the league by now.

Got to say I do see what you your saying

He got a god awful West Ham team out of relegation after Bilics useless management style got us in a mess

He wasn’t perfect but given time you can see he knows a lot about the game. People just don’t like his style of football at times

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Enjoy it, am going bald 😖

It just felt like one of those nights that it wasn't going to happen. I was congratulating Liverpool at half time. Thought Leicester looked solid. Was very very impressed with how organised they were, that's got to be down to Rodgers. Surely he is good enough for a top four team. 🤔 Hope for the good of the league they stay together.

Don't know what it is about this City team this year, but they have found a steely grit, a determination that I have not seen. Just had a look, since Christmas we have had 7, 1-0 wins in all comps. Before Christmas we had 1.

The Kompany goal, it's up there with the one he scored v Utd when we won our first prem title in terms of importance.

Here's one. I was having a natter with Missis T coming back over Woodhead. City have the Community shield and Crappyboo cup, there's a chance they could have the prem and FA cup soon. Has any team ever had all four before.

Off to bed, am knackered.

I don't think so but not totally sure.
I know the Prem, FA Cup and Champions League treble has been done once, but for the life of me I can't remember who by. :whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wenger in his last 4/5 seasons had Arsenal in 2-5 position in the PL and won 2 FA Cups, that’s after years upon years of success, the only manager he should be compared with is Alex Ferguson.
Regardless of style of football, Teams, Managers and Players are judged on trophies.
I agree. As much as I've really enjoyed City and Liverpool slugging it out week in, week out, all that will go down in the history books is City or Liverpool as champions and that is how players and managers get judged. If you are being cynical you could argue that Wenger getting top 4 including a 2nd and two cups is as good if not better than Klopp. How it was achieved including the style of football would be a totally different argument.

I watched the game last night and really couldn't see City getting a goal bar that wonder strike (that clip from directly behind shows what a great goal it really was) and you felt Leicester could nick a goal and perhaps should have. Great that it has come down to the last day and both sides would be worthy winners. Would you rather face a tricky Wolves side at home or a stubborn Brighton away

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s odd because I thought this was Klopps 3rd year not the 1st.

Pretty close indeed but you don’t win trophies for that.

You came so close this year that infact more progress would actually mean winning something next season. So if that doesn’t happen then it’s regression instead.

Time to go next year if he still doesn’t win the PL or CL?

No? I didn’t think so.

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s odd because I thought this was Klopps 3rd year not the 1st.

Pretty close indeed but you don’t win trophies for that.

You came so close this year that infact more progress would actually mean winning something next season. So if that doesn’t happen then it’s regression instead.

Time to go next year if he still doesn’t win the PL or CL?

No? I didn’t think so.

Yes it’s the end of Klopps third full season and it’s all about progress

He has taken a team struggling to get into the top 6 full of poor players to a team now challenging for major trophies

His first season he got the team back into the CL

Next season he got the team into the CL final

And then the next season he got the team challenging for the title and the CL

He has improved the squad massively to it now being one of the best in Europe

Every year it’s moving forward and the aim will be to do it again next year.

He has a few changes to do in the squad to bolster the options Which I expect he will do in the summer

He wasn’t given unlimited funds to overhaul a squad in one summer and was going to take time - his signings 99% of the time have proven to be very successful and right now it’s a great time to be a Liverpool fan - we have players , a manager and a club that looks like it could be challenging for major trophies for years to come - it’s going to be very hard and this season is showing it to be but he is going to keep going and I pretty sure he will get us over the line a couple of times.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He has taken a team struggling to get into the top 6 full of poor players to a team now challenging for major trophies

He has a few changes to do in the squad to bolster the options Which I expect he will do in the summer

He wasn’t given unlimited funds to overhaul a squad in one summer and was going to take time - his signings 99% of the time have proven to be very successful and right now it’s a great time to be a Liverpool fan - we have players , a manager and a club that looks like it could be challenging for major trophies for years to come - it’s going to be very hard and this season is showing it to be but he is going to keep going and I pretty sure he will get us over the line a couple of times.

Agree with most of this

Klopp has come in and done fantastic job. Liverpool have played some of the best football this season and to get that far in the champs league 2 seasons in a row you must be doing something right.. still outside chance of final ofc

League wise if they max their points they would have won the league in all but like 4 seasons was it i read somewhere,?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love Liverpool congratulating City all over social media when there’s still a game left.

You have to respect Brighton players will give everything the same as Wolves will.
People were questioning Rafa and Newcastle but they gave everything.
The same with Rodgers and Leicester last night,credit should be given to both teams.

Klopp has turned Liverpool around but I wouldn’t get carried away.
The premier league this year is weak and it’s no surprise City and Liverpool have so many points.
I knew it was coming about winning the league with their points tally for the last 10 years but the leagues strength determines that.

Producing year on year is difficult and I see the top 6 being a lot closer next year.
In fact I think Utd will be above Liverpool next year.

D

Deleted member 16999

Agree with most of this

Klopp has come in and done fantastic job. Liverpool have played some of the best football this season and to get that far in the champs league 2 seasons in a row you must be doing something right.. still outside chance of final ofc

League wise if they max their points they would have won the league in all but like 4 seasons was it i read somewhere,?
Funny how it’s ok to have a dig at other clubs managers after they’ve been in post less time though or write them off in their first year in charge or put money on them finishing near relegation places.:censored:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

This sounds like a Wenger eulogy except it’s missing the honours.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree with most of this

If we win on Sunday that would give us 97 points - I believe that would have won the league in every single season bar last season and prob this season. It’s just amazing and also heartbreaking that such a points tally and only losing once in the league is going to be 1 point short - shows how unbelievable both teams have been this season. For me can only be looked as a positive

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
He has improved the squad massively to it now being one of the best in Europe.

Blimey that’s a hell of a statement, I’d say you are one or two bad injuries away from being bang average (in relation to Man City). Salah out you’re knacked, Salah and Mane out and you’re double buggered with no quality to replace either.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Producing year on year is difficult and I see the top 6 being a lot closer next year.
In fact I think Utd will be above Liverpool next year.
What is the thinking behind that? I can see Utd having a mini cull this summer so that is another year of transition whilst they bed new players in. Do you think the team will stay largely the same? Why would top players go to Utd in their current position, no CL, club in flux?