And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fact is, the voting was done in March (I believe), and footballers are not intelligent enough to recall anything other than the here and now. Pogba only played well in January and February, and he's in. Hazard had his only real dry spell in February, and lo and behold, he's not in it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact is, the voting was done in March (I believe), and footballers are not intelligent enough to recall anything other than the here and now. Pogba only played in January and February, and he's in. Hazard had his only real dry spell in February, and lo and behold, he's not in it.

Doesn’t explain the lack of spuds tho? Weren’t you doing very well then in particular son?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The fact is, the voting was done in March (I believe), and footballers are not intelligent enough to recall anything other than the here and now. Pogba only played in January and February, and he's in. Hazard had his only real dry spell in February, and lo and behold, he's not in it.

They play different positions. The team selected at least looks like it would work together.

For Hazard to get in you would need to drop either Mane or Sterling. Who would you choose?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They play different positions. The team selected at least looks like it would work together.

For Hazard to get in you would need to drop either Mane or Sterling. Who would you choose?
Well not Sterling obviously. And Hazard has had a better season than Mane in my opinion. He's been pretty much a one man team at Chelsea.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So just because your ONE South Korean player doesnt make it into the team of the season all the other PL players are rascist?
Ironic coming from someone who follows a team whos fans regularly use rascist chanting every game.
I don't support West Ham or Chelsea??

And it's just our Korean who missed out, there are no Asians in it at all! Scandalous. :whistle:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd say he must have 5 pens or so? That still has him alongside many other midfielders. As to the assists i couldn't tell you, but surely delivering a good set piece is still an asset.

BTW I'm not selecting him purely on stats, just showing that over a course of a season he has blatantly contributed, there are lots of midfielders who certainly appear to try harder, but when building a dreamteam to you want steady eddies or some who can have a sprinkle of class. Look at Liverpool for example, start of the season as soon as you signed new midfilders many were saying that henderson would be phased out, expecting the others to do better. That may not have happened, but it's still what many chose (flash over steady)
I'm not for one second saying i'd of had him in my first 11, but with suggestions he wouldn't make a 5th team being muted. I just thought i'd counter it somewhat.

Neves and Maddison have both had good seasons and at lesser clubs, but imo they are alongside many others who people consider as better simply because they're doing it at a smaller club. I'd imagine if those four became available, only Erikson would be discussed alongside Pogba by fans/chairmen/team mates.

He hasn't mate, not in our top 5 performers this year.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
For reference - Son has the same amount of PL goals this season as Lukaku and Milovjevic, and less than Vardy, Sigurdsson, Richarlison and Pogba. I love Son, but there's no way he deserves to be in the TOTS ahead of Sterling, Mane, Aguero, Hazard or even Aubameyang.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
For reference - Son has the same amount of PL goals this season as Lukaku and Milovjevic, and less than Vardy, Sigurdsson, Richarlison and Pogba. I love Son, but there's no way he deserves to be in the TOTS ahead of Sterling, Mane, Aguero, Hazard or even Aubameyang.

IIRC, Son wasn't a regular early season, and also went off to the Asian Cup thingy.

I think voting should be done on a monthly or quarterly basis, with the total at the end of Apr.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jesus, have Palace had 12 penalties!?

You don't judge these things purely on stats though. Pogba looks good on the stats, but I'd say Sigurdsson or Moutinho have more of a claim than him, for example. I would put Son forward based on his impact to his team. Without him, Spurs would have been screwed. Likewise with Hazard and Chelsea.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
IIRC, Son wasn't a regular early season, and also went off to the Asian Cup thingy.

I think voting should be done on a monthly or quarterly basis, with the total at the end of Apr.

He has those 12 goals in 29 appearances.

Stats aren't the be all and end all for sure, but when you're competing for positions against Mane, Sterling, Aguero, Hazard and Aubameyang as a forward in the TOTS, then stats can be the differential, and all 5 of them have had superior seasons to Son. I'm not saying he's had a bad season, I think he's great, but wouldn't get in my TOTS.

He's scored 10 penalties :LOL:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

If you dirty lot chop down our superstars in the box it's not unreasonable that the umpire should award a penalty kick in our favour and our team just happens to include Mr. Milovjevic who happens rarely to miss those gifted opportunities 👍

If there were to be a "best penalty taker if the year" award he would be in contention

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you dirty lot chop down our superstars in the box it's not unreasonable that the umpire should award a penalty kick in our favour and our team just happens to include Mr. Milovjevic who happens rarely to miss those gifted opportunities 👍

If there were to be a "best penalty taker if the year" award he would be in contention

Alongside Zaha as best penalty winner??