And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

It will cost the chairman more than that when they end up in 15th place the following year. Teams outside the top 6 simply don't have the squad quality to compete on that front. Thursday in Khazaksthan, Sunday in Burnley, repeat. It does not work for those 7-12th teams who fight for that spot.
Then those Clubs will be forever an also ran, no thanks, fight for 7th, get Europa League football, build the squad, aim for top 4.
No Club outside the Top 6 is simply going to get to Top 6 and then stay there year after year.
A few years back all the talk was “Big 4” now it’s “Top 6” why not try and make it “Top 8” etc.
Should not be accepting mediocrity.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just can't believe some of the absolute crap posted on this thread at times, bordering on the hilarious.

Poor performance last night but a huge improvement from the Everton game.
Unfortunately it was the right result and United are just not good enough to compete at the top table.
Much work ahead.
HUGE six pointer at the weekend, even then a victory might not be enough the way they're playing.
Our goal difference is like a one point deduction.
Hopefully Chelsea & Arsenal will concentrate on the Europa League rather than the 4th place race.
It's going to an interesting stumble for the next three games.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then those Clubs will be forever an also ran, no thanks, fight for 7th, get Europa League football, build the squad, aim for top 4.
No Club outside the Top 6 is simply going to get to Top 6 and then stay there year after year.
A few years back all the talk was “Big 4” now it’s “Top 6” why not try and make it “Top 8” etc.
Should not be accepting mediocrity.
I think teams need to make the jump missing out the Europa League if possible. 4th place this year is there for the taking, it is every 2-3 seasons. If teams take that chance, as Spurs have, then they can build and stay there. Look at the history of those middle teams in the Europa League, it was a disaster for most and damaged the league position for that season.

Our target next year is not 6th or 7th but 4th. If we don't get it then fine but that is the target. I am not accepting mediocrity but I don't think Europa League gives any benefits, attracts players.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think teams need to make the jump missing out the Europa League if possible. 4th place this year is there for the taking, it is every 2-3 seasons. If teams take that chance, as Spurs have, then they can build and stay there. Look at the history of those middle teams in the Europa League, it was a disaster for most and damaged the league position for that season.

Our target next year is not 6th or 7th but 4th. If we don't get it then fine but that is the target. I am not accepting mediocrity but I don't think Europa League gives any benefits, attracts players.
Not realistic to expect any team to go from mid-table to top 4, might happen for 1 season then it’s back to normal.
I’d rather have a 3-4yr plan were we get there and stay there.
What happens if you go for Top 4 and finish 5th?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I just can't believe some of the absolute crap posted on this thread at times, bordering on the hilarious.

Poor performance last night but a huge improvement from the Everton game.
Unfortunately it was the right result and United are just not good enough to compete at the top table.
Much work ahead.
HUGE six pointer at the weekend, even then a victory might not be enough the way they're playing.
Our goal difference is like a one point deduction.
Hopefully Chelsea & Arsenal will concentrate on the Europa League rather than the 4th place race.
It's going to an interesting stumble for the next three games.

I said months ago that goal differences could be very key to 4th place, but I think yours is well off the mark now, although Arsenal had 4 on us but that was reduced to only 2 after last night, it could have only been 1 if not for a late goal!

D

Deleted member 15344

Never thought I'd ever say this about Man Utd, but the players aren't good enough ....and neither is the manager. Granted he had an amazing start, but deep-down I had a sneaking feeling he'd end up being their Di Matteo (although I think my lot have our new one in Sarri!)

Saying that, they'll probably now beat us on Sunday! 😂

The problem they've got is who can they bring in; especially if they miss out on CL football? Look at the names they've been linked with - why would they join a club not challenging for any honours? You can only live on the 'biggest club in the world' tag if you're challenging for the league title and CL.

City will always be in the driving seat for the best players due to Guardiola and the money (although I expect him to move on soon to Juventus or PSG for a new challenge). And if Chelsea overturn the transfer ban and make CL then they'll be spending to replace Hazard and a few of the aging members of the squad.

Clearly United are in a mess at the moment. Can see it taking them at least 2 seasons to sort it out.

I can see Utd having the same issue we had when Rafa left and we lost CL footy for a extended period - you start to lose your better players , start to struggle to get the better players in unless winning to pay a significant amount over the odds and look at those players below the radar or that step down from “top class” - it will take about 3/4 years maybe a bit longer of very good signings with the odd blunder. Kenny then BR spent a lot of money with a good deal amount of it wasted But they got the odd signing spot on- Klopp seems to be getting his signings spot on - Mane , Gini , Matip , Robertson , Salah , VVD , Fabinho , with a few of the cheaper players not working out. I think Chelsea , Utd and Arsenal are going to be looking at the same players - backline mainly plus the middle of the park, could be a very interesting summer of transfer activity and a significant amount spent

D

Deleted member 16999

Do people realise it’s the Players themselves that vote for that Team, so if they’ve got Pogba wrong how can we say they’ve got the others right.;)

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s voted far far far too early in the season

That’s why the writers player of the year is always more accurate
So why judge him over the season, the players voted for them all at the same time (March), some have improved, some haven’t!

Personally I’d rather go with the Players opinions than the media’s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...rd-misses-paul-pogba-gets-picked-9315223/amp/

Team of the Year

Ederson

TAA
VVD
Laporte
Robertson

Fernandinho
Pogba 😂😂😂😂😂
B Silva

Mane
Aguero
Sterling

Pogba being in there is a complete joke surely
Pogba being in there is a farce. He was good for about 5 weeks at most.

My team of the season would be:
Foster
Wan-Bissaka - Van Dijk - Laporte - Robertson
Fernandinho
Sterling - Bernardo Silva - Hazard
Agüero - Son​

Even Sigurdsson or Moutinho would have made it before Pogba though. Ridiculous.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not realistic to expect any team to go from mid-table to top 4, might happen for 1 season then it’s back to normal.
I’d rather have a 3-4yr plan were we get there and stay there.
What happens if you go for Top 4 and finish 5th?

I get all that, at the end of the day you aim for the best you can do and you end up wherever. Personally, I'd play the kids in the Europa and leave the 1st team at home and let them concentrate on the league. Push up the places there rather than waste energy on that competition. I think it does way more harm than good.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do people realise it’s the Players themselves that vote for that Team, so if they’ve got Pogba wrong how can we say they’ve got the others right.;)
I think the players were either all in on a Whatsapp group big joke or they want to trick Utd into keeping him there so they can play against him next year as well. Pogba in team of the year is comedy gold.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So why judge him over the season, the players voted for them all at the same time (March), some have improved, some haven’t!

Personally I’d rather go with the Players opinions than the media’s.

March is far far too early to judge a season that ends in May.

And the players votes are as reliable as Eurovision

D

Deleted member 16999

I think the players were either all in on a Whatsapp group big joke or they want to trick Utd into keeping him there so they can play against him next year as well. Pogba in team of the year is comedy gold.
The whole team should be took with a pinch of salt, can’t believe Son isn’t in it.

D

Deleted member 16999

March is far far too early to judge a season that ends in May.

And the players votes are as reliable as Eurovision
Been a few players over the years who have come out and said it means more being recognised by your fellow Pro’s than the hacks.

As for the bit in bold, why get bothered over one out of the eleven if that’s how you feel. ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been a few players over the years who have come out and said it means more being recognised by your fellow Pro’s than the hacks.

As for the bit in bold, why get bothered over one out of the eleven if that’s how you feel. ;)

There are many players who said they are fully happy at a club and then suddenly want a leave

I wouldn’t believe much players say

Pogba came out the other day he is a leader as a World Cup winner

Yeahhhhhhhhh ok then mate

D

Deleted member 16999

There are many players who said they are fully happy at a club and then suddenly want a leave

I wouldn’t believe much players say

Pogba came out the other day he is a leader as a World Cup winner

Yeahhhhhhhhh ok then mate
I’ve no interest in Pogba, I just find it funny how we accept their opinions on 10 but not 11.:)