And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I get all that, at the end of the day you aim for the best you can do and you end up wherever. Personally, I'd play the kids in the Europa and leave the 1st team at home and let them concentrate on the league. Push up the places there rather than waste energy on that competition. I think it does way more harm than good.

But what's the point of trying to place as high as possible then? Surely for clubs like ours (still sounds weird) Europa has to be the aim. Top 6 won't be achievable for a while.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But what's the point of trying to place as high as possible then? Surely for clubs like ours (still sounds weird) Europa has to be the aim. Top 6 won't be achievable for a while.
I would like to be as high as possible and give the Europa place to the team below if we qualified. I just don't see it as a benefit, as having value. It causes more problems than benefits. I appreciate that will not be a popular view but it is how I see it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve no interest in Pogba, I just find it funny how we accept their opinions on 10 but not 11.:)
There are others on the list I would argue over but it would be a classic pub discussion with no real right or wrong. I would have Digne at left back, I would not have Trent Arnold in. That is both full backs out then. However, plenty could easily argue against me and I would totally accept the decision is marginal. There is no David Silva, no Eriksen, no Rice, you pointed out no Son. They are all close calls and good discussions. I don't think Pogba is even a discussion.

If we were choosing a 2nd best XI to play the team announced Pogba would not make it. I'm not sure which team he would make, the 5th perhaps?. I'm not talking about Pogba at his best, I'm talking about the Pogba we have seen across this season as a whole.

D

Deleted member 16999

There are others on the list I would argue over but it would be a classic pub discussion with no real right or wrong. I would have Digne at left back, I would not have Trent Arnold in. That is both full backs out then. However, plenty could easily argue against me and I would totally accept the decision is marginal. There is no David Silva, no Eriksen, no Rice, you pointed out no Son. They are all close calls and good discussions. I don't think Pogba is even a discussion.

If we were choosing a 2nd best XI to play the team announced Pogba would not make it. I'm not sure which team he would make, the 5th perhaps?. I'm not talking about Pogba at his best, I'm talking about the Pogba we have seen across this season as a whole.
I get all that mate, but this is chosen by players he’s up against week in, week out. Maybe they see things we don’t, maybe his name and presence on the pitch carries more weight with them.

We have our own prejudices, TA-A would be one of the first on the team sheet for me, (but I believe he missed some of the season through injury).

D

Deleted member 1418

Re. Pogba, when OGS took over Utd he was fantastic - showing over that 8 or 9 game period what a class act he is.......when his mind is on football and not stupid haircuts and silly dances. But it's too infrequent. He has the talent to be mentioned in the same breath as the great Utd midfielders over the last 20 years - Robson, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo - but he'll go down as 'what could've been'.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I think he's an easy target. He has certainly had some poor games this seasons. As you say, at his best its certainly a different queston, BUT, over the entire league season encompassing all the good and bad as a midfielder he has contributed towards 22 (goals and assists). More than any other.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think he's an easy target. He has certainly had some poor games this seasons. As you say, at his best its certainly a different queston, BUT, over the entire league season encompassing all the good and bad as a midfielder he has contributed towards 22 (goals and assists). More than any other.

How many of the goals are penalties ? And the same with the assists how many are from a dead ball situation ?

Stats are great as a tool to help but they can also be misleading a bit - if you look purely at stats to get a team together them it would be a totally different picture.

Salah for example has better stats than both Mane and Sterling but we know that Mane and Sterling have played better this year - if you ask most who has played better this year between Erikson and Pogba or even Neves or Maddison and I would be surprised if many pick Pogba but stats wise Pogba is at the top

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re. Pogba, when OGS took over Utd he was fantastic - showing over that 8 or 9 game period what a class act he is.......when his mind is on football and not stupid haircuts and silly dances. But it's too infrequent. He has the talent to be mentioned in the same breath as the great Utd midfielders over the last 20 years - Robson, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo - but he'll go down as 'what could've been'.

Pogba is the new ballotelli.. himself above club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I expect to get relegated every year! Expectation very low, means that reality is very enjoyable! :ROFLMAO:
I expected it with my mob back in Augusts even though as a fan you always cling to the hope you'll be ok. Sadly they lived up to expectation. I think Watford are going to be fine for a few seasons to come, especially with a couple of sound investments each season. Plenty of others I'd rate worse than your lot

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How many of the goals are penalties ? And the same with the assists how many are from a dead ball situation ?

Stats are great as a tool to help but they can also be misleading a bit - if you look purely at stats to get a team together them it would be a totally different picture.

Salah for example has better stats than both Mane and Sterling but we know that Mane and Sterling have played better this year - if you ask most who has played better this year between Erikson and Pogba or even Neves or Maddison and I would be surprised if many pick Pogba but stats wise Pogba is at the top
I'd say he must have 5 pens or so? That still has him alongside many other midfielders. As to the assists i couldn't tell you, but surely delivering a good set piece is still an asset.

BTW I'm not selecting him purely on stats, just showing that over a course of a season he has blatantly contributed, there are lots of midfielders who certainly appear to try harder, but when building a dreamteam to you want steady eddies or some who can have a sprinkle of class. Look at Liverpool for example, start of the season as soon as you signed new midfilders many were saying that henderson would be phased out, expecting the others to do better. That may not have happened, but it's still what many chose (flash over steady)
I'm not for one second saying i'd of had him in my first 11, but with suggestions he wouldn't make a 5th team being muted. I just thought i'd counter it somewhat.

Neves and Maddison have both had good seasons and at lesser clubs, but imo they are alongside many others who people consider as better simply because they're doing it at a smaller club. I'd imagine if those four became available, only Erikson would be discussed alongside Pogba by fans/chairmen/team mates.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Id say he must have 5 pens or so? That still has him alongside many other midfielders. As to the assists i couldn't tell you, but surely delivering a good set piece is still an asset.

I'm not for one second saying i'd of had him in my first 11, but with suggestions he wouldn't make a 5th team being muted. I just thought i'd counter it somewhat.

Neves and Maddison have both had good seasons and at lesser clubs, but imo they are alongside many others who people consider as better simply because they're doing it at a smaller club. I'd imagine if those four became available, only Erikson would be discussed alongside Pogba by fans/chairmen/team mates.

7 premier league pens this year

10 goals

Is 3 goals from open play enough for a player of his talent?

D

Deleted member 15344

Id say he must have 5 pens or so? That still has him alongside many other midfielders. As to the assists i couldn't tell you, but surely delivering a good set piece is still an asset.

I think it’s 8 or 7 Prem penalties in 10 goal and 9 or 10 overall- but I believe it’s 3 from Open play

5th team - I guess if you can have an on form Pogba then he would get in a second team and even a 1st team because on form with the right midfield he can change a game - does it for France and did it for Juve but for someone to be World Class they shouldn’t “need” the right set up , they should be able to perform when needed and also raise the level of the team - I think Keane said something similar?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
7 premier league pens this year

10 goals

Is 3 goals from open play enough for a player of his talent?

13 apparently, so 6. Still doesn't put him too far off the rest. As well as a decent assists return.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

I'd say that i'd expect more from his talent, but him under perming doesnt automatically make players doing no better than him a better choice.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think it’s 8 or 7 Prem penalties in 10 goal and 9 or 10 overall- but I believe it’s 3 from Open play

5th team - I guess if you can have an on form Pogba then he would get in a second team and even a 1st team because on form with the right midfield he can change a game - does it for France and did it for Juve but for someone to be World Class they shouldn’t “need” the right set up , they should be able to perform when needed and also raise the level of the team - I think Keane said something similar?

Most people agree city have the best midfield in the league, their form nose dived without Fernandino. Set up of a team is imperative.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
13 apparently, so 6. Still doesn't put him too far off the rest. As well as a decent assists return.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

I'd say that i'd expect more from his talent, but him under perming doesnt automatically make players doing no better than him a better choice.

Sorry yes I read the wrong figure. Was reading assists

That isn’t amazing though for his ability

Payet in his first season got 9 goals, 13 assists and run games single handed. Turned a poor side into an above average side

Anderson this season has 9 goals, all open play . First season in the league. Pogba on 6 isn’t good enough.. he should be on double that at least

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to blow my own trumpet, but I don't get many things wrong about football players, I said (not on here but at home, so it still counts) Pogba and Lukacu were utter poo from the start. Oh and that Liverpool striker that is always injured, was rubbish too. And just to hold my hand up for one I got hopelessly wrong, Stirling. Pep has worked miracles with the lad.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not to blow my own trumpet, but I don't get many things wrong about football players, I said (not on here but at home, so it still counts) Pogba and Lukacu were utter poo from the start. Oh and that Liverpool striker that is always injured, was rubbish too. And just to hold my hand up for one I got hopelessly wrong, Stirling. Pep has worked miracles with the lad.

Sterling was outstanding for Liverpool in the Suarez Era aswell let’s not forget

Lukaku isn’t suited to man united .. Everton were perfect for him

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry yes I read the wrong figure. Was reading assists

That isn’t amazing though for his ability

Payet in his first season got 9 goals, 13 assists and run games single handed. Turned a poor side into an above average side

Anderson this season has 9 goals, all open play . First season in the league. Pogba on 6 isn’t good enough.. he should be on double that at least
I fully accept he has under permed. Not denying it for a second. Just saying that a poor Pogba is still better than a ot of the other players supposedly ahead of him.

Payet had one good season, i certainly woudn't take him over pogba.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I fully accept he has under permed. Not denying it for a second. Just saying that a poor Pogba is still better than a ot of the other players supposedly ahead of him.

Payet had one good season, i certainly woudn't take him over pogba.

Payet like Pogba has a massive attitude problem which is why he never ended up at one of the big clubs and we got him for such a bargain price of 12 million