And, we’re off.......2018/2019

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still think West Ham have gone way over-the-top with the signings. I've said it before and I'll say it again - very rarely has a club taken this scattergun approach to signings and had immediate success. It takes time for a team to gel, and in that line-up above, you've got 6 new signings in starting positions! Over half the side. I can see results being hard to come by in the first few months, and given how the West Ham chairmen are a pair of total idiots, Pellegrini could end up losing his job by Christmas.

As a Spurs fan I'm actually a bit apprehensive about our own start to this season. The sheer number of players we had at the latter stages of the World Cup could hurt us big time. Lloris, Trippier, Jan, (Toby but he's likely to be leaving,) Rose, Dier, Dembele, Alli and Kane all still there at the final stages, as well as Eriksen and D.Sanchez who made it to the knockouts. That and we've made zero signings for squad depth so far. Lots of work to be done these next 3 weeks.

watford almost sign an entire new 11 plus manager every year and manage to do decent enough

that line up is my preferred to see because I like the players more than others.. for example I cant personally stand noble

a signing from the premier league wont take too much time to gel into the team.. especially a keeper so ignore wilshere and fabinski .. its then only 4 new signings

you could also line up like this..

—————Fabianski

Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Cresswell

————Rice-------- Obiang
—Arnie ——---Wilshere ----Anderson

———----——Hernandez

thats 5 new signings but like I say wilshere knows the league as does fabinski so I dont count them..most teams with a scatter gun approach dont buy a lot of premier league proven players unless your citeh / chelski (when he first showed up)

in 15/16 we welcomed bilic to the team..

we signed the following

Lanzini on loan (unproven at the time)
antonio
ogbonna
Jelavic
obiang
randolph
moses

and payet

scatter gun.. we finished 7th that season.. 2 games away from breaking into the top 4.. just ran out of puff.. that and a dirty challenge from James McCarthy that ruled payet out for 2 months mid season

anyways if it wasnt for payet we would have finished about 12th that season

so in anderson if we have signed someone as good or half as good we will be fine

steady progress

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not convinced by Subasic. If you look at the goals they conceded he seemed to be wrong footed for a lot of them and taking a step the wrong way before standing and watching the ball go in the other side.
He was trying to see the ball and just got done by a bit off skill from Pogba.

Thought Pickford was best as he never really made any mistakes.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He was trying to see the ball and just got done by a bit off skill from Pogba.

Thought Pickford was best as he never really made any mistakes.

It wasn't just the Pogba goal I was talking about though. There were several instances of him taking a step the wrong way and then standing flat footed as the ball went the other side of him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
watford almost sign an entire new 11 plus manager every year and manage to do decent enough

that line up is my preferred to see because I like the players more than others.. for example I cant personally stand noble

a signing from the premier league wont take too much time to gel into the team.. especially a keeper so ignore wilshere and fabinski .. its then only 4 new signings

you could also line up like this..

—————Fabianski

Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Cresswell

————Rice-------- Obiang
—Arnie ——---Wilshere ----Anderson

———----——Hernandez

thats 5 new signings but like I say wilshere knows the league as does fabinski so I dont count them..most teams with a scatter gun approach dont buy a lot of premier league proven players unless your citeh / chelski (when he first showed up)

in 15/16 we welcomed bilic to the team..

we signed the following

Lanzini on loan (unproven at the time)
antonio
ogbonna
Jelavic
obiang
randolph
moses

and payet

scatter gun.. we finished 7th that season.. 2 games away from breaking into the top 4.. just ran out of puff.. that and a dirty challenge from James McCarthy that ruled payet out for 2 months mid season

anyways if it wasnt for payet we would have finished about 12th that season

so in anderson if we have signed someone as good or half as good we will be fine

steady progress
It's natural to be excited by new signings, I'm just saying maybe temper your expectations a little bit. Watford isn't really the shining beacon to aim for, they've just about stayed up and made up the numbers, plus changed their manager more often than I change my socks. :lol: Expect a difficult start but maybe stabilising a bit by January.

Just had my first stab at Fantasy League for this season. Always tricky when the decent players now have massively inflated prices.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's natural to be excited by new signings, I'm just saying maybe temper your expectations a little bit. Watford isn't really the shining beacon to aim for, they've just about stayed up and made up the numbers, plus changed their manager more often than I change my socks. :lol: Expect a difficult start but maybe stabilising a bit by January.

Just had my first stab at Fantasy League for this season. Always tricky when the decent players now have massively inflated prices.

Ironically best year I’ve had on fantasy footy is the payet year because I had him from the off

You have to find gems that shine but aren’t expected like Mahrez or payet

Anderson will be stupid money because of his transfer fee no doubt

Whilst I’m excited about our window I don’t think we will suddenly win the league

I’m thinking more gradual progress back to top 10

Famous last words but we won’t be in a relegation battle this season

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ironically best year I’ve had on fantasy footy is the payet year because I had him from the off

You have to find gems that shine but aren’t expected like Mahrez or payet

Anderson will be stupid money because of his transfer fee no doubt

Whilst I’m excited about our window I don’t think we will suddenly win the league

I’m thinking more gradual progress back to top 10

Famous last words but we won’t be in a relegation battle this season
Anderson is only 7 mil I think. I won't be taking a punt on him though. Think he's a bit of a 50-50 player, either great or awful in equal measure. I've picked a couple of other lower prices wingers who I think could have a good season though.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anderson is only 7 mil I think. I won't be taking a punt on him though. Think he's a bit of a 50-50 player, either great or awful in equal measure. I've picked a couple of other lower prices wingers who I think could have a good season though.

only 7? hes going straight in my team then! (if this is fantasy premier league one) bargain at that price

Arnie was a good earner for me last season.. midfielder played as a striker.. got me many points during his purple patch

might have to set up my team now, I know you can change it constantly until week 1 so no harm

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
only 7? hes going straight in my team then! (if this is fantasy premier league one) bargain at that price

Arnie was a good earner for me last season.. midfielder played as a striker.. got me many points during his purple patch

might have to set up my team now, I know you can change it constantly until week 1 so no harm
Arnautovic listed as a striker this year, just so you know. I did the first draft of my team at lunch, but I'm already completely rethinking it. Standard really. :rofl:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Arnautovic listed as a striker this year, just so you know. I did the first draft of my team at lunch, but I'm already completely rethinking it. Standard really. :rofl:

yeah teams in.. I noticed that.. hate when that happens.. same with Arthur at LB.. midfielder this year..

Zaha a striker lol ok then winger all day.. team will get chopped and changed no doubt

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Zaha played primarily as a striker last season to be fair. Of his 29 PL games last year he played 22 centrally and 17 as a striker, and only 7 as a winger so think they've got that one right.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Zaha played primarily as a striker last season to be fair. Of his 29 PL games last year he played 22 centrally and 17 as a striker, and only 7 as a winger so think they've got that one right.

I agree. I think Salah should be a striker too, but they obviously wanna keep a mix of the top end players.

Wingers niw now don’t really exist in the midfield like they used too. They all play 20yards further forward with more of an emphasis on goals and not assists.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. I think Salah should be a striker too, but they obviously wanna keep a mix of the top end players.

Wingers niw now don’t really exist in the midfield like they used too. They all play 20yards further forward with more of an emphasis on goals and not assists.
I would have had Salah under forwards as well given that they played 4-3-3 with him in the front three. I don't know how they decide it sometimes. Presumably you have to have played as the actual centre forward to be considered a forward on there. Wide forwards are down as midfield. It makes for a hell of a lot of midfielders when wingers, number 10s, holding midfielders and even wing backs like Masuaku (mentioned above) are all listed under midfielders!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have had Salah under forwards as well given that they played 4-3-3 with him in the front three. I don't know how they decide it sometimes. Presumably you have to have played as the actual centre forward to be considered a forward on there. Wide forwards are down as midfield. It makes for a hell of a lot of midfielders when wingers, number 10s, holding midfielders and even wing backs like Masuaku (mentioned above) are all listed under midfielders!

Delph listed as a defender! Lol

That’s the thing Masuaku was one last year I put in because he bombed forward and could get a clean sheet .. if he is a midfielder he isn’t worth it

They try and take all the clever play out of it

Tripper in my team already lol

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Delph listed as a defender! Lol

That’s the thing Masuaku was one last year I put in because he bombed forward and could get a clean sheet .. if he is a midfielder he isn’t worth it

They try and take all the clever play out of it

Tripper in my team already lol
I remember when Milner played left back for a season, the following year he was listed under defenders, but in reality he was back in midfield, and taking penalties and corners as well! He was a gold mine that year.

I think Delph did play at left back more than anywhere else, but it's another one where you just know he's a midfielder at the end of the day.

My main debate at the moment is whether to spend the big bucks on Salah or not.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going with my usual formula of:

5m-ish keeper - this year Pickford with Flappyhandski back-up

Cheap defenders - one 5m, two 4.5m - ATM leaning towards TAA, Cedric and Daniels

A stacked, expensive attacking midfield - Currently: Salah, Sane, Eriksen and Silva

Cheapish attack - Currently: Firmino, Arnautovic, Zaha

Although knowing what I'm like with Fantasy Football that will have completely changed come the first game of the season :D