And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Certainly shouldn’t praise people for “behaving correctly” - that’s not worthy of praise but what should be highlighted and praised is the mature reaction from Sterling and Hudson and those showing that racist behaviour won’t stop them

And we need to keep highlighting the fans that are racist , they need to be condemned, need to be told by the majority that their behaviour is unacceptable
The worst thing about all this for me. Was the response by the Macedonian FA.

The press conference afterwards was shambolic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting article on why we don't see the best of Dele Alli in an England shirt:
https://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-no-decimal-place-for-englands-no-10

I think it's fair and accurate. His best form at Spurs has been as more of shadow striker right up behind Kane. I wouldn't describe him as a central midfield player. I think if Southgate keeps playing the 4-3-3 we're more likely to see someone like Delph come in, with Dele on the bench.

D

Deleted member 16999

Agree that it's nothing to do with football. In any cross-section of people there will be some racists/bigots of some other kind. Football should do whatever it can to remove them of course, but so should every other aspect of society.

I also agree with LT that you can't really go about praising people for not being racist, that's just daft. Reminds me of that old Chris Rock stand-up routine about certain folk wanting credit for things that are expected - e.g. "I take care of my kids!" :D All you can do is show what you have done to deter and punish the racists, if you want to paint football in a positive light in that respect.
Not talking about praising non racism, I’m talking about highlighting and using the good in football crowds as a positive, many in the media see all football crowds as racist, sexist, beer swilling thugs.
And yes praise indeed for Sterling, but should he and others (Pickford at Newcastle etc) be allowed to get away with intentionally winding up the opposition fans on the basis that 2 wrongs make a right.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not talking about praising non racism, I’m talking about highlighting and using the good in football crowds as a positive, many in the media see all football crowds as racist, sexist, beer swilling thugs.
And yes praise indeed for Sterling, but should he and others (Pickford at Newcastle etc) be allowed to get away with intentionally winding up the opposition fans on the basis that 2 wrongs make a right.
Sterling's reaction was fine because the two were nowhere equivalents. He didn't call them dirty Montenegrin whatevers, he just held his hands to his ears as if to say "that's what I think of your abuse - here's a goal for your troubles". Footballers are human beings, I don't expect them to take abuse from a few hundred people and not give an ounce back.

D

Deleted member 1740

Now then Stu me man, re day tripper fans and "we have a few". Around the year 2004 ish. I went to Anfield with a lifelong Liverpool fan and a guy from Italy. We watche Liverpool play Arsenal, Arsenal won 2-1 with a Pires winner IIRC. anyway there was a couple of Oriental supporters sat in front of us. The could obviously speak English as one of them left a newspaper on his seat when the went to the crapper at HT. Unfortunately the newspaper was the SUN newspaper. My Liverpool fan pal gave both of the orientalist an earful re the significance of bringing the
At paper into the ground. He then gave them a short lecture on "read about Liverpools history".
Thought it was quiet apt.

Now I know there's a significant difference between being a grade one Gobs hite and a day tripper knowing about a clubs history. But I wonder how many day trippers are knowledgable about the team they now follow.

Whilst i dont condone it, Stuff like this is probably a honest mistake.

You dont need to be a knoweldgeable fan to know calling an Asian man a P... B...... let alone in front of his kids is bang out of order. Its absolutely disgusting and im sure 99% of fans would agree this sort of behaviour isnt welcomed or acceptable at our club and city.

A grown man whether hes a scouser, german,irishman etc knows right from wrong.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Wasn't sure of the stick the black players got whilst watching the game the other night. However when Sterling cupped his ears, the commentator was quick to condem Sterlings actions which i thought a bit odd, as surely he was aware of what was going off

D

Deleted member 16999

Sterling's reaction was fine because the two were nowhere equivalents. He didn't call them dirty Montenegrin whatevers, he just held his hands to his ears as if to say "that's what I think of your abuse - here's a goal for your troubles". Footballers are human beings, I don't expect them to take abuse from a few hundred people and not give an ounce back.
Oh yes you’re right, I completely forgot the moron’s will see him do that, apologise and stop their abuse, or....................will they turn it up a notch or 2 and do it more?
Difficult one this!

I’m not condoning racism or any type of abuse of professional sports people, but it’s a bit naive to think it won’t wind some opposition fans up if the player gives it out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't sure of the stick the black players got whilst watching the game the other night. However when Sterling cupped his ears, the commentator was quick to condem Sterlings actions which i thought a bit odd, as surely he was aware of what was going off
Funnily enough I remember the commentator saying that he had not heard anything which is why he questioned Sterling doing what he did. I didn't hear any noises at the time although I have heard them since on one of the news reports. A few weeks ago I raised the point of a West Ham game being really quiet and one of their fans, could have been Paul, mentioned the broadcaster can reduce the background noise of the crowd if the songs are a bit too rude, which they apparently were that day. Maybe the host broadcaster in Montenegro did the same thing?

In the commentators defence they do have headphones on so I guess noise could well be muffled. Maybe Pathetic Shark can help us answer that one as I believe he has done that role so will know the lot of a commentator.

D

Deleted member 16999

Funnily enough I remember the commentator saying that he had not heard anything which is why he questioned Sterling doing what he did. I didn't hear any noises at the time although I have heard them since on one of the news reports. A few weeks ago I raised the point of a West Ham game being really quiet and one of their fans, could have been Paul, mentioned the broadcaster can reduce the background noise of the crowd if the songs are a bit too rude, which they apparently were that day. Maybe the host broadcaster in Montenegro did the same thing?

In the commentators defence they do have headphones on so I guess noise could well be muffled. Maybe Pathetic Shark can help us answer that one as I believe he has done that role so will know the lot of a commentator.
There’s also the reporter from Sky who said he heard nothing were he was sat and afterwards was shocked to hear some reporters who had been in a different part of the ground say they had not only heard it, but witnessed the gestures.
You could definitely hear it after Rose was booked for his tackle near the end.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't pick up on it then either but I think I was chatting and distracted, game was effectively over. As I said though, I heard it clearly enough next day on the news. It was 1970's stuff, horrible.

For the reporter I can get that. I've been at games where a mate has been at the other end of the ground and meeting up afterwards we have both started the conversation with 'your lot were quiet, we drowned you out'. Noise can travel, or not, in odd ways or not at all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Interesting point. Clive Tyldesley put this on twitter the day after

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh yes you’re right, I completely forgot the moron’s will see him do that, apologise and stop their abuse, or....................will they turn it up a notch or 2 and do it more?
Difficult one this!

I’m not condoning racism or any type of abuse of professional sports people, but it’s a bit naive to think it won’t wind some opposition fans up if the player gives it out.
I don't think he was trying to end racism by putting his hands to his ears. I'm just saying that whatever the outcome, I'd allow him some kind of small reaction like that as he's not a robot. Scoring a goal and using your celebration to have a little dig is a pretty good reaction in my book.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't think he was trying to end racism by putting his hands to his ears. I'm just saying that whatever the outcome, I'd allow him some kind of small reaction like that as he's not a robot. Scoring a goal and using your celebration to have a little dig is a pretty good reaction in my book.
Even if it risks more hatred and bad feeling?
Do it like H-O did it, an interview or complaint after the game.
No need to wind the brainless up, ignore them, during the game don’t let them know you’ve heard them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even if it risks more hatred and bad feeling?
Do it like H-O did it, an interview or complaint after the game.
No need to wind the brainless up, ignore them, during the game don’t let them know you’ve heard them.
If that's his way of coping with it though I'm not going to say it's right or wrong. I've never been racially abused by a crowd of people. If doing that made him feel like he got one over on them, or even just made him feel 1% better about the situation, then I'm all for it.