And, we’re off.......2018/2019

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
He’s always been iffy imo but his speed has got him out of jail many times.

Walker is an athlete trying to play football, England have had loads of them in (fairly) recent years, Micah Richards etc.

The younger lads coming through for England now all seem to be, in the main, footballers first. Worries me a bit how good the younger players coming through are tbh! Maybe a GK and a good centre half or two away from being a very good team (not sure who's coming through in those areas?)

D

Deleted member 15344

Walker is an athlete trying to play football, England have had loads of them in (fairly) recent years, Micah Richards etc.

The younger lads coming through for England now all seem to be, in the main, footballers first. Worries me a bit how good the younger players coming through are tbh! Maybe a GK and a good centre half or two away from being a very good team (not sure who's coming through in those areas?)

Not sure about GK - but Lloyd Kelly at Bristol City looks a prospect along with Gomez , still think Stones can do well

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure about GK - but Lloyd Kelly at Bristol City looks a prospect along with Gomez , still think Stones can do well

Yep forgot Stones and especially Gomez who looks like he could be a very impressive player depending on injuries/development etc.

Bit more creativity in midfield is needed which may come from Foden, again if he gets enough chances.

Sterling has improved more than I thought he would tbh and with Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Rashford, Deli Ali etc things are looking pretty promising for England.

Or depressing as a Scotsman :(

D

Deleted member 1740

There was fan jailed for 8 weeks, suspended for 2 years, on monday for racially abusing a fan of his own team inside the ground.
His excuse was he was drunk and can’t remember it.
Couldn’t be served a banning order as well from all grounds by the courts as it was during a friendly match and they aren’t covered under the legislation!
Hopefully the club will ban him!
What chance have the players got!

Racism is a society issue and until that is addressed it will continue unfortunately.

As for the "fan" , i was disgusted when i heard what had happened at Anfield on saturday. Another daytripper not understanding and thinking his utter filth is acceptable in our city. I hope he gets a lifetime ban from the club and any supporters clubs he's associated to.

D

Deleted member 16999

Racism is a society issue and until that is addressed it will continue unfortunately.

As for the "fan" , i was disgusted when i heard what had happened at Anfield on saturday. Another daytripper not understanding and thinking his utter filth is acceptable in our city. I hope he gets a lifetime ban from the club and any supporters clubs he's associated to.
I’d like to think I’m wrong, but we won’t ever get rid of racism/hooligans etc from football, all of these extremes are unfortunately part of the world we live in and pretending we are any better than others or it’s only a football problem or only affects certain clubs, is burying our head in the sand.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

One of the things I really like about TAA is that he has the combination of both. He's quick but he's also a proper footballer. Can whip balls superbly with both feet, takes a mean free-kick but he can also defend. Simple choice as England's #1 RB for me.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the things I really like about TAA is that he has the combination of both. He's quick but he's also a proper footballer. Can whip balls superbly with both feet, takes a mean free-kick but he can also defend. Simple choice as England's #1 RB for me.

What's his football brain like? Walker, Rose etc have those switch off moments a few times a game, you can't do that at international level.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’d like to think I’m wrong, but we won’t ever get rid of racism/hooligans etc from football, all of these extremes are unfortunately part of the world we live in and pretending we are any better than others or it’s only a football problem or only affects certain clubs, is burying our head in the sand.

Sadly I think you are right. I think this and hooliganism, which while it still exists in England is definitely more prevalent in Europe, while perhaps inextricably linked in some way, are not going away. I do think both problems though are wider reaching than just football and so while the clubs and authorities can do as much as they can to clean up their acts and do what they can to stamp it out in football as much as possible, until it is dealt with in society (knife crime, the rise of far right factions in Europe etc) then the culture will continue.

D

Deleted member 1740

Hooliganism has actually improved from 80's.

Racism is rife throughout society, until society changes attitudes at football wont.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hooliganism has actually improved from 80's.

Racism is rife throughout society, until society changes attitudes at football wont.
Lots of unacceptable behaviour has improved, but it hasn’t stopped and I don’t think it will all ever disappear, too many people can’t handle the booze and use that as an excuse as one example.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yep forgot Stones and especially Gomez who looks like he could be a very impressive player depending on injuries/development etc.

Bit more creativity in midfield is needed which may come from Foden, again if he gets enough chances.

Sterling has improved more than I thought he would tbh and with Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Rashford, Deli Ali etc things are looking pretty promising for England.

Or depressing as a Scotsman :(

The thing re Stirling, God he can frustrate, but under Pep the thing he is asked to do he does well. But it has took some time, the biggest thing he has improved is his left foot. Up until the last World Cup he was a shadow of the player he is at City. Why, the system was totally differant at England than at City. Am not saying the whole system is to be changed at England to suit Sterling of to suit Kane. But slowly slowly, things are changing in the England set up. Some through Southgates influence, and I don't think that can be underestimated. And some through enforced decisions that have to be made, eg Diers injury. I look around the park now and see good competition for places.
Except in the Keepers dept and we have flogged that to death.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spot on .
It just seems some of the worst in society go to the match.
This is sadly true. Football can't just put the blame at societies door and say there is nothing they can do, there is. The stewards can intervene earlier, leagues could force the closure of stands or even grounds for repeat offenders. Force these idiots out of the game that sadly is a focal point for too many.

I agree with Stu, football has moved on hugely from the past and the idiots are far fewer now. Ironically, that should make them easier to pick out. I know for Liverpool away games there are plain clothes police who go to the games as spotters, the fans largely know who they are and I suspect other forces do the same. More of this needs to happen in problem sections but this is then a manpower issue and the clubs will have to pay for it. There is enough money sloshing around in the game, use some of it to clean out the dross.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Now then Stu me man, re day tripper fans and "we have a few". Around the year 2004 ish. I went to Anfield with a lifelong Liverpool fan and a guy from Italy. We watche Liverpool play Arsenal, Arsenal won 2-1 with a Pires winner IIRC. anyway there was a couple of Oriental supporters sat in front of us. The could obviously speak English as one of them left a newspaper on his seat when the went to the crapper at HT. Unfortunately the newspaper was the SUN newspaper. My Liverpool fan pal gave both of the orientalist an earful re the significance of bringing the
At paper into the ground. He then gave them a short lecture on "read about Liverpools history".
Thought it was quiet apt.
Now I know there's a significant difference between being a grade one Gobs hite and a day tripper knowing about a clubs history. But I wonder how many day trippers are knowledgable about the team they now follow.

D

Deleted member 16999

Now then Stu me man, re day tripper fans and "we have a few". Around the year 2004 ish. I went to Anfield with a lifelong Liverpool fan and a guy from Italy. We watche Liverpool play Arsenal, Arsenal won 2-1 with a Pires winner IIRC. anyway there was a couple of Oriental supporters sat in front of us. The could obviously speak English as one of them left a newspaper on his seat when the went to the crapper at HT. Unfortunately the newspaper was the SUN newspaper. My Liverpool fan pal gave both of the orientalist an earful re the significance of bringing the
At paper into the ground. He then gave them a short lecture on "read about Liverpools history".
Thought it was quiet apt.
Now I know there's a significant difference between being a grade one Gobs hite and a day tripper knowing about a clubs history. But I wonder how many day trippers are knowledgable about the team they now follow.
Some clubs more than others depend on “day trippers”
I do find it quite funny that fans (incl Everton) complain about the day trippers but forget about the money and in some cases the jobs the money from those people bring.
We then get the clubs touring all over the world pre-season etc selling the brand, these orientals you mentioned may of held a life long ambition to visit Anfield at least once in their life, should we really question their knowledge before we allow them in?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or we highlight the very tiny minority instead of praising the 99.9% of decent folk going the match?
Should we need to praise the 99% for behaving as humans should? We shouldn't really.

What clubs should be better at, some are better than others, is promoting the great work that fans and clubs do in the community and for local charities. Some are very good on social media but there is a lot of good done out there which people are not aware of. Promoting that would improve the outside worlds view of football fans in this country.

D

Deleted member 16999

Should we need to praise the 99% for behaving as humans should? We shouldn't really.

What clubs should be better at, some are better than others, is promoting the great work that fans and clubs do in the community and for local charities. Some are very good on social media but there is a lot of good done out there which people are not aware of. Promoting that would improve the outside worlds view of football fans in this country.
We certainly shouldn’t forget them, 1 person done for racially abusing a footballer, that’ll be 1 person out of 30-40,000 and it’s highlighted as football having a problem with racists, 1 person done for being racist on the street, is the town highlighted or singled out? No it’s not.
I’m with Stu on this it’s a society issue not a football issue,
Montenegro and all the Balkan States have racist issues, not just their football fans and FIFA will take very little action.

What we should be doing is advertising and publicising football on the positives, letting people know it’s safe to go the games etc.

Whilst Southgate and the players rightly highlighted the racists chants maybe they should of praised the behaviour of the England fans who were there.

I’d go as far as taking the NZ PM’s approach, don’t mention them, starve them of oxygen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We certainly shouldn’t forget them, 1 person done for racially abusing a footballer, that’ll be 1 person out of 30-40,000 and it’s highlighted as football having a problem with racists, 1 person done for being racist on the street, is the town highlighted or singled out? No it’s not.
I’m with Stu on this it’s a society issue not a football issue,
Montenegro and all the Balkan States have racist issues, not just their football fans and FIFA will take very little action.

What we should be doing is advertising and publicising football on the positives, letting people know it’s safe to go the games etc.

Whilst Southgate and the players rightly highlighted the racists chants maybe they should of praised the behaviour of the England fans who were there.

I’d go as far as taking the NZ PM’s approach, don’t mention them, starve them of oxygen.
Agree that it's nothing to do with football. In any cross-section of people there will be some racists/bigots of some other kind. Football should do whatever it can to remove them of course, but so should every other aspect of society.

I also agree with LT that you can't really go about praising people for not being racist, that's just daft. Reminds me of that old Chris Rock stand-up routine about certain folk wanting credit for things that are expected - e.g. "I take care of my kids!" :D All you can do is show what you have done to deter and punish the racists, if you want to paint football in a positive light in that respect.

D

Deleted member 15344

Certainly shouldn’t praise people for “behaving correctly” - that’s not worthy of praise but what should be highlighted and praised is the mature reaction from Sterling and Hudson and those showing that racist behaviour won’t stop them

And we need to keep highlighting the fans that are racist , they need to be condemned, need to be told by the majority that their behaviour is unacceptable