And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

That’s how football works though.
Someone gets injured (Dier) and a young lad gets his chance ( insert several names here) he does well and the other guy dosnt get back in the team .
I hope that’s how this one goes as the young talent we have look really good.
We might not win the Euros with young lads but they will be ready for the World Cup next time.
That’s a completely different discussion though! And not what happened the other night! :rolleyes:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s how football works though.
Someone gets injured (Dier) and a young lad gets his chance ( insert several names here) he does well and the other guy dosnt get back in the team .
I hope that’s how this one goes as the young talent we have look really good.
We might not win the Euros with young lads but they will be ready for the World Cup next time.

If it wasn’t for gerrard and Murphy getting injured then Trevor Sinclair wouldn’t have got the call in the 2002 World Cup. Played rather well aswell

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It'll be a very hostile atmosphere in Montenegro tomorrow and interesting to see how the younger players handle it. It's a game we should win and with the England of old would have been one of those potential banana skins where we dropped points and made qualification harder than necessary. I think this is a more resilient and stronger England and think (hope) they'll get a result. I also hope the players like Sterling aren't subjected to any racial abuse

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes it’s a discussion as I have given my opinion on starting two DM.
And I have agreed with you and others on numerous occassions, it still doesn’t change the facts from the other night!
Look how well Barkley played once Southgate was FORCED in to an early substitution, look at the stick Southgate got for choosing Barkley over Rice.
Barkley played well, well enough imo to keep his place and be starting tomorrow night.
No matter what you or me believe or think, barring any other injuries Southgate, imo, will start with the same 10 plus Barkley, is that the best option? It is if Southgate decides, he’s not adventorous until we go 2-3 goals clear and look comfortable.
Can you honestly see any other changes to the starting Xl tomorrow?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And I have agreed with you and others on numerous occassions, it still doesn’t change the facts from the other night!
Look how well Barkley played once Southgate was FORCED in to an early substitution, look at the stick Southgate got for choosing Barkley over Rice.
Barkley played well, well enough imo to keep his place and be starting tomorrow night.
No matter what you or me believe or think, barring any other injuries Southgate, imo, will start with the same 10 plus Barkley, is that the best option? It is if Southgate decides, he’s not adventorous until we go 2-3 goals clear and look comfortable.

That was a top decision by Southgate tbh

Easy to put the inform rice in but Southgate for one protected rice from a debut at such an early stage with a heap of pressure on him and two allowed a player a chance to get his England career back on track (which he hopefully has done) he then was able to give rice a much easier debut which will give him a steady bedding for his future.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'd not argue with France. Although they've got issues in attack going forward and rely on a Chelsea bench striker to knit it together. And a dodgy Spurs keeper ;) Belgium on paper yes but they've bottled the last two tournaments and that will damage them no? A number of the golden generation are heading backwards too.

Brazil are improving despite going out early and if they discover a proper striker, would be up there. And if Neymar realised it was about scoring or creating rather than winning free kicks :cautious:

Holland are one to watch, some top players coming through but I'd fancy England to outperform them over the next few tournaments.

I base it on England's result, potential AND a lack of quality in other sides. I'm not saying we're world class in every area but we've got everything required to compete at that level. Trippier I think is having a bad season, as is Walker. However Alexander-Arnold and Wan Bissaka are both bloody brilliant players.

From what I am seeing they look like an orange Scotland.

D

Deleted member 16999

That was a top decision by Southgate tbh

Easy to put the inform rice in but Southgate for one protected rice from a debut at such an early stage with a heap of pressure on him and two allowed a player a chance to get his England career back on track (which he hopefully has done) he then was able to give rice a much easier debut which will give him a steady bedding for his future.
Totally agree, whether we agree with his team selection or tactics etc, for me he’s getting most decisions correct and we’re moving forward as a squad.
First job is to ensure we qualify from the group.
He does seem to be very loyal to players, but at the same time not afraid to give young guys a chance when the opportunity presents itself.
When you think Hudson-Odoi wasn’t even in the squad, then called up as a replacement and then gets 20 minutes is great to for the kid.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree, whether we agree with his team selection or tactics etc, for me he’s getting most decisions correct and we’re moving forward as a squad.
First job is to ensure we qualify from the group.
He does seem to be very loyal to players, but at the same time not afraid to give young guys a chance when the opportunity presents itself.
When you think Hudson-Odoi wasn’t even in the squad, then called up as a replacement and then gets 20 minutes is great to for the kid.

It’s a fantastic time to be an England fan. Some exciting young players coming through

They will only get better , you have the chance to add TAA , Gomez, Maddison , Chilwell, Sancho , Hudson-Odoi, rice to the already talented stones, maguire , alli , sterling and Kane you have so much potential there

Pickford is a question mark but I believe with age he is gonna get better just like David James became so much more solid when he calmed down

Southgate for me is the best manager to get the best from these aswell

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No I can’t,,we played well once Dier went off.
So I would expect the old fashioned notion that you don’t change a winning team,
But we don’t know what GS will do.

D

Deleted member 16999

Clearly Southgate thinks he's good enough and the only way to be sure is to play him. It might give his club a nudge too
Or Sancho took a knock against the Czech’s and Southgate might not risk him.
Don’t think it’ll change Sarri!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Or Sancho took a knock against the Czech’s and Southgate might not risk him.
Don’t think it’ll change Sarri!

I agree. Sarri is not for changing (while he's there!!). Do you think it'll come to a point in the summer especially if Hudson-Odoi is playing a few England games and doing well when he'll force a move or go out on loan to a top side somewhere (Germany?) to get top level and regular footie. I can't see how he and Southgate can sustain an England place without regular games. Granted Sancho's knock gives him an opportunity but if he grabs it with both hands tonight it makes a case to play the next game

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Declan rice to start tonight apparently

Happy for him

I’ll be watching the game wishing throughout the 90 mins he didn’t suffer a dean ashton! Stay injury free Declan!

D

Deleted member 16999

Not sure about Rose for Chillwell, big test for Rice coming in as the holding midfield player, hopefully he continues with the form he’s shown for West Ham.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure about Rose for Chillwell, big test for Rice coming in as the holding midfield player, hopefully he continues with the form he’s shown for West Ham.

Only decision I don’t agree with is rose

But got to trust the manager he knows his team

Rices mistakes won’t go unoticed by the Irish fans ready to flood social media