And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 1740

Nope I know a diving cheat when I see one. Remember, just because there was contact it doesn’t mean that the player did not dive/cheat.

Oh dear, you’re beginning to look very stupid. The Goalkeeper blatantly impeded Mane from getting the ball, that is the pen. Stonewall.

That said, he made a meal of it but that doesn’t stop it from being a pen. Who has he “cheated”?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't say it wasn't a pen I said he dived, like he'd been shot to convince the ref he'd been fouled. Even the missus said "my god, why did he dive to the floor like that" :ROFLMAO:
Problem is though that unless the players hits the deck the ref will not give anything. How often do you hear the words "should have gone down " by pundits etc when a players doesnt hit the grass and stays on their feet to try and score.
You cant have it both ways unfortunately.
I don't like how players hit the deck like they do, but until refs start giving pens without the theatrics nothing will change.

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh dear, you’re beginning to look very stupid. The Goalkeeper blatantly impeded Mane from getting the ball, that is the pen. Stonewall.

That said, he made a meal of it but that doesn’t stop it from being a pen. Who has he “cheated”?

May as well make it a non contact sport, any slightest touch and a player can throw himself down to con the ref that he was impeded?

Not something I like to see from anyone tbh.

D

Deleted member 16999

Problem is though that unless the players hits the deck the ref will not give anything. How often do you hear the workds "should have gone down " by pundits etc when a players doesnt hit the grass and stays on their feet to try and score.
You cant have it both ways unfortunately.
I don't like how players hit the deck like they do, but until refs start giving pens without the theatrics nothing will change.
In certain circumstances I’m firmly of the opinion they don’t have to try and stay on their feet, like you say, if they stay on their feet the Ref could deem it a coming together and no more, it is a contact sport after all.

D

Deleted member 1740

May as well make it a non contact sport, any slightest touch and a player can throw himself down to con the ref that he was impeded?

Not something I like to see from anyone tbh.

Wow, you’re either blinkered or blind.

Watch it again, the keeper hooked his arm around Mane and stopped him from reaching the ball. It’s a blatant pen, if VAR reviewed it, it would still be a pen.

Mane never cheated nor conned anyone, made a meal of it yes, but never cheated.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, you’re either blinkered or blind.

Watch it again, the keeper hooked his arm around Mane and stopped him from reaching the ball. It’s a blatant pen, if VAR reviewed it, it would still be a pen.

Mane never cheated nor conned anyone, made a meal of it yes, but never cheated.

You’ve just agreed that he made a meal of it. That is simulation. Cheating.

To make something appear worse than it was. Cheating.

To exaggerate the contact. Cheating.

I think you are the one making yourself look stupid on this Stu.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s getting really poor when a player is accused of cheating when he is clearly being fouled - not sure why it’s getting a bit nasty towards Mane but he was clearly fouled and it was a clear penalty , throwing his arms made sure the ref could see it and then to go at him because he smiled at the award ?! Some people’s bitterness is embarrassing

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Try again!
Simulation is defined as a player trying to convince a ref that a foul has occurred when it hasn't.

In this case a foul did occur. Whilst he may have made a meal of it, by the rule's he didn't simulate, dive or cheat.

D

Deleted member 1740

No I’m not. I’ve already agreed he made a meal of it but that doesn’t stop it being a pen.

Richarlison has just done the same but no mention he’s cheated even though it’s a blatant foul/pen.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try again!
Simulation is defined as a player trying to convince a ref that a foul has occurred when it hasn't.

In this case a foul did occur. Whilst he may have made a meal of it, by the rule's he didn't simulate, dive or cheat.

It doesn’t change a thing, it’s dishonest.

As a professional stay on your feet and try to play football, let the referees do their job.

How can a ref evaluate and assess that unreasonable contact has taken place if a player adds his fake response into the mix?

I suppose you’re going to tell me that the player had the right to go down because he was brushed.

Not in my book.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

As a professional stay on your feet and try to play football, let the referees do their job.

How can a ref evaluate and assess that unreasonable contact has taken place if a player adds his fake response into the mix?

I suppose you’re going to tell me that the player had the right to go down because he was brushed.

Not in my book.

I'm not a fan of the term winning a penalty at all.
So if you are legitimately fouled you should try give up a better goal scoring opportunity (penalty). Do me a favour, you came on he throwing accusations around at a player who was actually fouled. Then you tried to dig deeper.

Of course if you have the same condition as Wenger, then i'm sure you never saw or rejoiced when one of your numerous cheats "won" (a phrase i hate btw) a penalty for Arsenal?

D

Deleted member 1740

As a professional stay on your feet and try to play football, let the referee do their job.

Not in my book.

He tried to stay on his feet but the keeper hooked him, not brushed him. If the keeper wasn’t so stupid in trying to stop him from reaching the ball then we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Was there any need for the flailing arms, no but that doesn’t stop it from being a pen.

No I’m not saying he had a right to go down, I’ve already stated on numerous occasions he made a meal of it but it’s still a foul!!

He hasn’t cheated or conned the ref because it was a blatant foul.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the term winning a penalty at all.
So if you are legitimately fouled you should try give up a better goal scoring opportunity (penalty). Do me a favour, you came on he throwing accusations around at a player who was actually fouled. Then you tried to dig deeper.

Of course if you have the same condition as Wenger, then i'm sure you never saw or rejoiced when one of your numerous cheats "won" (a phrase i hate btw) a penalty for Arsenal?

If it’s a genuine foul the player doesn’t have to do anything but naturally react to the situation.

If however the player feels the need to falsify the response you have to question whether the “foul” was truly a foul to begin with.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I despair, my avatar speaks volumes.

We may only be 3 points off 4th place, but with all that possession and missed chances, if we can't put the ball in the net with that starting 11, then Sarri really needs to change his views towards CHO who needs to start as he's a winner IMO and I think starting him is the answer, that goes for Willian also and Emerson.

Sarri is blinkered and stubborn, I can't fathom him out!

I think we need to win the Europa to get CL next season, without a clinical finisher and service to Hazard & Higuian from players like Willain & CHO not starting, 4th place looks a lot further than the 3 points it is!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If it’s a genuine foul the player doesn’t have to do anything but naturally react to the situation.

If however the player feels the need to falsify the response you have to question whether the “foul” was truly a foul to begin with.

In a perfect world i would agree. Unfortunately as VAR has shown. Refs are struggling to see things correctly. I am against dives, or even winning a penalty in the sense of players looking for the leg to go over etc. If though a player just makes a meal of something, that doesn't detract from the initial foul imo. Certainly not enough to call them a cheat, as all they are trying t do is get what they should get.