And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’re being pedantic as we are talking about English keepers, apologies on the most saves, I meant less goals conceded, but that’s another stat you’ve ignored. :sleep:
Only 2 less conceded than Foster but has faced 18 less shots so hardly says anything really. We can talk stats all day, the way I saw it most of them were much of a muchness other than the daft amount of errors he has made, that's all. I do think you're right though that Southgate will keep him in this time. I just hope long term that someone can take the jersey off of him, because I don't trust him at all.

D

Deleted member 16999

Only 2 less conceded than Foster but has faced 18 less shots so hardly says anything really. We can talk stats all day, the way I saw it most of them were much of a muchness other than the daft amount of errors he has made, that's all. I do think you're right though that Southgate will keep him in this time. I just hope long term that someone can take the jersey off of him, because I don't trust him at all.
And again I’ve stated a few times, imo, he’s the best of a bad bunch, which is the real disappointment, so longer term I’d hope it would be someone new as both Foster and Heaton are in their 30’s and Pope was possibly a flash in the pan.
I don’t care which Club the England keeper plays for, as an Everton fan I’m fully aware of Pickford’s ability or lack of it, I just hope when it comes to the national side all 11 picked perform on the pitch.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And again I’ve stated a few times, imo, he’s the best of a bad bunch, which is the real disappointment, so longer term I’d hope it would be someone new as both Foster and Heaton are in their 30’s and Pope was possibly a flash in the pan.
I don’t care which Club the England keeper plays for, as an Everton fan I’m fully aware of Pickford’s ability or lack of it, I just hope when it comes to the national side all 11 picked perform on the pitch.
Bit harsh on Pope! :LOL: He was one of the best keepers in the league last season. Then he got an injury and came back to find himself one of three fit keepers. If he can get a move I see no reason why he can't repeat the same form as before. Fingers crossed anyway. And as I said, there's Butland who could easily get a Prem move. Failing that.. the only other real hope for the future is Angus Gunn. Or Dean Henderson??

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit harsh on Pope! :LOL: He was one of the best keepers in the league last season. Then he got an injury and came back to find himself one of three fit keepers. If he can get a move I see no reason why he can't repeat the same form as before. Fingers crossed anyway. And as I said, there's Butland who could easily get a Prem move. Failing that.. the only other real hope for the future is Angus Gunn. Or Dean Henderson??

Suggestions today that with McGregor retiring from international football Scotland might be looking at Gunn as an option for their keeper.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Suggestions today that with McGregor retiring from international football Scotland might be looking at Gunn as an option for their keeper.
I think he'd be silly to go for that, given the lack of strong English keepers ahead of him as we've already highlighted. If he can keep himself in the Southampton he has a decent shot at the England jersey.

D

Deleted member 16999

(y)
Burnley had their best ever season last year, all sorts of rubbish was spoken about that team, Dyche for England, Barnes for England etc etc, none of that talk this season.
Pope did look like he had potential and that’s why I said possibly.(y)

D

Deleted member 16999

I reckon they'd point to the seasons they won the league or the FA Cup as being better.
Oh look, another pointless comment, those grown ups actually involved in a discussion are talking about Premier League goalkeepers, please show me when Burnley won the PL and FA Cup and how it relates to current players.

Maybe Gareth should consider Fatty Foulkes in Goal or Dixie Dean up front. :rolleyes:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Oh look, another pointless comment, those grown ups actually involved in a discussion are talking about Premier League goalkeepers, please show me when Burnley won the PL and FA Cup and how it relates to current players.

Maybe Gareth should consider Fatty Foulkes in Goal or Dixie Dean up front. :rolleyes:

"Burnley had their best ever season last year"

Best season ever.

If you don't mean it, don't say it.

D

Deleted member 16999

So is that Rice lad any good? Got to be honest I'd never heard of him until the England vs Ireland story broke a few weeks back.
Certainly looks he’s a good player and the potential to get a lot better.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, he's good. Very understated. Has a gift for being in the right place at the right time.
I worry that he's so young and people expect too much. Opposition will work him out and play him differently - how he develops after that will tell us more about him.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So is that Rice lad any good? Got to be honest I'd never heard of him until the England vs Ireland story broke a few weeks back.

Certainly looks like what England have been missing for a while. A proper defencive midfielder who reads the game. Dier looked good but he has faded

Without him we would probably be 16th

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It does look like it's not just hype with him. Looks a tidy player, clearly learning from the likes of David Silva. It's hard to say he'll ever become a starter though, with KDB to come back in as well. He's already done better than most young English players do at top clubs anyway. I wouldn't object to him getting an England call-up.
Am hoping that B Silva, Foden and KDB are the three main midfielders after next year. Am getting worried re KDB injuries though. D Silva is on e

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Southgate said:
England squad
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)

Why on earth do we need 3 right backs and 3 left backs? They're not all going to get minutes are they? That seems stupid. In all honesty I'd have expected the two Spurs ones to miss out on current form. 4 left backs if you count Delph!

I took the mick when Rice switched to England but in fairness he looks a good defensive midfield prospect, particularly when his only competition there is Dier. So he deserves his spot. Seems a bit light in midfield generally though with Winks & Lingard injured and Dele only just back from injury, could use the addition of Foden or Ward-Prowse I think.

No Vardy? Did he retire?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why on earth do we need 3 right backs and 3 left backs? They're not all going to get minutes are they? That seems stupid. In all honesty I'd have expected the two Spurs ones to miss out on current form. 4 left backs if you count Delph!

I took the mick when Rice switched to England but in fairness he looks a good defensive midfield prospect, particularly when his only competition there is Dier. So he deserves his spot. Seems a bit light in midfield generally though with Winks & Lingard injured and Dele out, could use the addition of Foden or Ward-Prowse I think.

No Vardy? Did he retire?

Yes he has retired

Agree rose and tripper are a waste of a place

Keeper wise I think Pickford is the worse of those 3 and I don’t think Pickford is awful