And, we’re off.......2018/2019

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
How is the Hart situation even remotely similar? Hart was poor and needed to be gotten rid of. All that happened is you bought an overrated keeper in Bravo. Then you spent huge money on Ederson and he was excellent. There was never any suggestion of a young keeper with no top flight experience coming in and being number 1 was there?? Completely pointless analogy. :rofl:

Also, Ward isn't English he's Welsh.

Anyone got a spade for Tash.

Time will tell.
You don't need to stick up for people were all big boys now.
I've always said if you can't take it don't give it.
People have been driven off this sight by social media bullies.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its all very well kicking Karius or Ward, but how rubbish was deGea during his first season or 2 at Utd?
I was very happy to see Karius given a chance last season, and to be perfectly honest I would be happy to see him given another chance this season, he is still young for a keeper. Likewise if Klopp feels Ward has developed enough to be given the chance, then who am I to say no?
At least being Welsh means he wont be called away for international tournaments:)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Its all very well kicking Karius or Ward, but how rubbish was deGea during his first season or 2 at Utd?
I was very happy to see Karius given a chance last season, and to be perfectly honest I would be happy to see him given another chance this season, he is still young for a keeper. Likewise if Klopp feels Ward has developed enough to be given the chance, then who am I to say no?
At least being Welsh means he wont be called away for international tournaments:)

De Gea had pedigree though. I’d seen him with u21 and he was clearly class for Spain. He was highly thought of in the game and only really had one error in him (crosses), which was simply from playing in a league where they didn’t tend to have lots of crosses coming in.

Karius seems to have many faults. I think ward looks a prospect, but the question is, if he was that much of a sure thing. How the hell was he out on loan and behind the current clowns that have started for Liverpool.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
De Gea had pedigree though. I’d seen him with u21 and he was clearly class for Spain. He was highly thought of in the game and only really had one error in him (crosses), which was simply from playing in a league where they didn’t tend to have lots of crosses coming in.

Karius seems to have many faults. I think ward looks a prospect, but the question is, if he was that much of a sure thing. How the hell was he out on loan and behind the current clowns that have started for Liverpool.
He was on loan 2 seasons ago if I remember correct and highly thought of, but at the time he was al ittle younger, less mature and Ming was in goal for us. Last season he was with the squad, but hadnt quite got to a point Klopp was totally happy with. He has now.:)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ward was on loan at Aberdeen a couple of years ago and was clearly a cut above our league (similar to Van Dijk, Forster, Wanyama etc) even at a young age. Pretty sure he played for Wales in the Euros aswell so probably worth a shot. Rather than either/or though if I were Klopp I'd still be looking to get rid of Karius/Ming and bring in another keeper if it doesn't work out.

Really odd one for me is Shaqiri, reputation seems to be not particularly good in terms of being a team player and he's just not that good IMO. Thought Liverpool would be shopping a fair bit higher up the food chain with the Coutinho money available?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How is the Hart situation even remotely similar? Hart was poor and needed to be gotten rid of. All that happened is you bought an overrated keeper in Bravo. Then you spent huge money on Ederson and he was excellent. There was never any suggestion of a young keeper with no top flight experience coming in and being number 1 was there?? Completely pointless analogy. :rofl:

Also, Ward isn't English he's Welsh.

Er al go through your post sentance by sentance and al type slowly for you so it sinks in. Joe Hart who was England's No 1, yet in your words was rubbish. Brilliant. No don't answer yet there's more. pep bought Bravo who was Chiles No1 from Barcelona, who by your words was overrated, strange how Pep or the Chile manager thought otherwise. In fact have a look on Wikipedia re Bravo before you even respond on an over rated player who has the second highest caps for his country after Alexis Sanchez. No hang on please don't answer yet. Coz there's even more. He bought the Brazil number two after that. How thick is Pep, Doh. The point that may be lost on you is that Klopp is prepared to " give youth a chance". A simple question for you, are we to only give the English lads a chance in the Prem. Do the Welsh, Scotish and Irish not deserve that chance.
your laughing pointless analogy looks like it was written by the village idiot. 👍

Use the the power of the Internet before you respond.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ward was on loan at Aberdeen a couple of years ago and was clearly a cut above our league (similar to Van Dijk, Forster, Wanyama etc) even at a young age. Pretty sure he played for Wales in the Euros aswell so probably worth a shot. Rather than either/or though if I were Klopp I'd still be looking to get rid of Karius/Ming and bring in another keeper if it doesn't work out.

Really odd one for me is Shaqiri, reputation seems to be not particularly good in terms of being a team player and he's just not that good IMO. Thought Liverpool would be shopping a fair bit higher up the food chain with the Coutinho money available?

I think Shaqiri is being bought purely as a cheap squad player because at times during the later part of the season players were running on empty because there weren’t players to come off the bench - Shaqiri can be one of those players coming off - it’s purely to bolster the squad

I think Mignolet is going to be the one to leave and there maybe an older experienced GK coming in to provide a third choice back up

Tashyboy

Visit site
Anyone got a spade for Tash.

Time will tell.
You don't need to stick up for people were all big boys now.
I've always said if you can't take it don't give it.
People have been driven off this sight by social media bullies.

You can borrow it and fill in the hole, read my last post. 👍

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Shaqiri is being bought purely as a cheap squad player because at times during the later part of the season players were running on empty because there weren’t players to come off the bench - Shaqiri can be one of those players coming off - it’s purely to bolster the squad

I think Mignolet is going to be the one to leave and there maybe an older experienced GK coming in to provide a third choice back up

Isn't the point to improve you're squad rather than purely bolster it though? Shaqiri has been at big clubs before (who are at the level Liverpool are attempting to get to) and hasn't got a look in?

Shouldn't you be looking to buy real quality to improve/enlarge the squad, particularly given the money you have to play with. Players were knackered last year but if you're putting in far lower quality whats the point?

D

Deleted member 15344

Isn't the point to improve you're squad rather than purely bolster it though? Shaqiri has been at big clubs before (who are at the level Liverpool are attempting to get to) and hasn't got a look in?

Shouldn't you be looking to buy real quality to improve/enlarge the squad, particularly given the money you have to play with. Players were knackered last year but if you're putting in far lower quality whats the point?

Adding Shaqiri in does improve and deepen the squad - last year if one of the front three were injured you had players like Ings to come in or Ox was pushed out wide - the squad was very thin so by bringing in Shaqiri who is very much and flighty player he is someone who has a lot of ability but struggled- he can be someone to come on from the bench and change something or fill in during cup games etc - not many clubs can afford to have the same level of players sat on the bench than they have on the pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Adding Shaqiri in does improve and deepen the squad - last year if one of the front three were injured you had players like Ings to come in or Ox was pushed out wide - the squad was very thin so by bringing in Shaqiri who is very much and flighty player he is someone who has a lot of ability but struggled- he can be someone to come on from the bench and change something or fill in during cup games etc

Fair enough, your opinion of course, I don't see him improving you tbh. Seems you've gone from talking about big money players (Lemar/Fekir etc) and now happy with Shaqiri, unless of course there are others to come in which there may well be. Just seems an odd choice, you'd probably raise an eyebrow in City, United, Chelsea etc were in for him I suspect

D

Deleted member 15344

Fair enough, your opinion of course, I don't see him improving you tbh. Seems you've gone from talking about big money players (Lemar/Fekir etc) and now happy with Shaqiri, unless of course there are others to come in which there may well be. Just seems an odd choice, you'd probably raise an eyebrow in City, United, Chelsea etc were in for him I suspect

Shaqiri isn’t the last to arrive - club still looking at a Fekir or Lemar for the first 11 , Shaqiri isn’t the player to come in and replace Coutinho , he is cheap and will provide and option from the bench. I wouldn’t be happy if he is the one instead of Fekir but then I don’t believe he is and every report states the exact thing - he was cheap and who knows Klopp may get a bit more out of him

D

Deleted member 16999

Just reading about the stick that Liverpool, Klopp and Liverpool phil are getting re Ward possibly being Liverpools No1. Think people have short memories. Very short. When Pep got rid of Hart he got ripped to bits. It was the right decision but he got ripped to bits. Hart has been played in average teams since and has shown that he is simply not good enough. Roll on England, Southgate dropped him and Pickford has took his chance with both hands. Claudio Bravo came in and was worse than Hart. Pep brought in ederson and was fantastic.
Klopp sees summat in Ward, that quite frankly 99% of us have never even seen play never mind heard of him. And he is slagged off for it coz they should of gone for an experienced keeper. Like City did when we bought Bravo from Barcelona. We all know how that ended up.
Another thing, after England's exit from the World Cup, most pundits and ex players were saying that "WE NEED TO GIVE THE YOUNG ENGLISH PLAYERS A CHANCE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE" to help England to the next level. First time it has happened and a manager is getting slagged off for it. For those that don't know I don't support Liverpool. I support the champions, the Centurions. But I have to applaud Klopp on this one. Just hope that Phil Foden gets a chance in City's midfield alongside some of City's " superstars" to help push into the England squad.
Has Klopp actually stated Ward will be No 1 or is it just the papers reporting that Klopp is going to give him an opportunity to prove himself in pre-season training!
I think you’re getting a bit a head of yourself. :thup:
You applaud Klopp for trying a third keeper because the other 3 have not met expectations!!! Seriously tash, I think you’re getting confused, Klopp had a superb record at Dortmund, they were on the verge of bankruptcy and he had no choice but to but bargains and develop youth, so far at Liverpool, with the exception of the odd unproven signing, he’s signed big players and spent big money on the areas that need improving.
Maybe it’s because he signed Karius he doesn’t want to admit it may of been a mistake.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Has Klopp actually stated Ward will be No 1 or is it just the papers reporting that Klopp is going to give him an opportunity to prove himself in pre-season training!
I think you’re getting a bit a head of yourself. :thup:
You applaud Klopp for trying a third keeper because the other 3 have not met expectations!!! Seriously tash, I think you’re getting confused, Klopp had a superb record at Dortmund, they were on the verge of bankruptcy and he had no choice but to but bargains and develop youth, so far at Liverpool, with the exception of the odd unproven signing, he’s signed big players and spent big money on the areas that need improving.
Maybe it’s because he signed Karius he doesn’t want to admit it may of been a mistake.

Got to be honest, I know nothing about Ward. But my main point is Klopp giving him a chance and hopefully other managers giving youth a chance. Ironically all of the spotlight seems to be on ward, Liverpool etc. Yet nothing was said of Southampton signing Angus Gunn from City for £13.5 million and giving him a chance.

D

Deleted member 16999

Got to be honest, I know nothing about Ward. But my main point is Klopp giving him a chance and hopefully other managers giving youth a chance. Ironically all of the spotlight seems to be on ward, Liverpool etc. Yet nothing was said of Southampton signing Angus Gunn from City for £13.5 million and giving him a chance.
First point about Ward mate, he’s 25, not exactly a youth :)
The only reason Ward is being discussed is because a Lpool fan mentioned him.
Why all of a sudden should we be praising Klopp and Pep for giving youth a chance :confused: other clubs and managers have been doing it for years.
Have a look at Utd’s youth record or even Everton.
I’m sure if any of the Soton fans had mentioned Gunn we’d of discussed him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
First point about Ward mate, he’s 25, not exactly a youth :)
The only reason Ward is being discussed is because a Lpool fan mentioned him.
Why all of a sudden should we be praising Klopp and Pep for giving youth a chance :confused: other clubs and managers have been doing it for years.
Have a look at Utd’s youth record or even Everton.
I’m sure if any of the Soton fans had mentioned Gunn we’d of discussed him.

or Cough (saints) cough!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Er al go through your post sentance by sentance and al type slowly for you so it sinks in. Joe Hart who was England's No 1, yet in your words was rubbish. Brilliant. No don't answer yet there's more. pep bought Bravo who was Chiles No1 from Barcelona, who by your words was overrated, strange how Pep or the Chile manager thought otherwise. In fact have a look on Wikipedia re Bravo before you even respond on an over rated player who has the second highest caps for his country after Alexis Sanchez. No hang on please don't answer yet. Coz there's even more. He bought the Brazil number two after that. How thick is Pep, Doh. The point that may be lost on you is that Klopp is prepared to " give youth a chance". A simple question for you, are we to only give the English lads a chance in the Prem. Do the Welsh, Scotish and Irish not deserve that chance.
your laughing pointless analogy looks like it was written by the village idiot. 

Use the the power of the Internet before you respond.
Bravo was proven to be overrated, because he was completely useless wasn't he?

Can we cut through the babble and get to what your point was?? Are you saying that after Bravo failed you wish Pep had promoted the youth team keeper instead of buying Ederson?? If not then I have not the first clue why you brought City into all this, other than the fact you support City so you think everything revolves around them.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bravo was proven to be overrated, because he was completely useless wasn't he?

Can we cut through the babble and get to what your point was?? Are you saying that after Bravo failed you wish Pep had promoted the youth team keeper instead of buying Ederson?? If not then I have not the first clue why you brought City into all this, other than the fact you support City so you think everything revolves around them.

The funny thing though, is that city’s youth keeper, Angus Gunn now of Southampton, is probably the best prospect of all of the young keepers coming through and most likely to fill a top 6 no 1 shirt for the bulk of his career.

He was absolutely faultless at Norwich last season, better than Forster was at a similar stage in his career.